Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times

Advertisements

How likely is it that a town or city in California will be destroyed by fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
California is a very large state and there are limited regions where brush fires occur. Those that live in them know the risks. Almost anyplace is susceptible to some type of natural disaster--and all are vulnerable to man made disaster.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
How likely is it that a town or city in California will be destroyed by fire?
A whole city? Nil.

Right now it is the driest year on record as well as the hottest spring on record so it is looking like summer will be a scorcher too. Of course, it is impossible to attribute a specific event to climate change but this is all exactly with in line of the models where it gets drier and hotter in the far west.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I think that sooner or later Big Bear is going to go up in smoke. Lake Arrowhead already got hit pretty hard but even that could have been worse. I think there's a lot of high risk towns in the north Sierra foothills, especially if things continue to dry out. Wrightwood outside of LA is another tinderbox just waiting for a high wind and a match.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Ever hear of houses going up in flames, from brush fires, across the border in Tijuana? Smart! You can't even get homeowner's insurance on houses/apartment buildings/motels built out of wood in Mexico! Concrete all the way!

When I had my house designed for me in the south Tijuana hills, every square inch of that house: concrete, even the roof, and metal framed windows! What could possibly burn?

How they must laugh at the idiots across the Border!!!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Pretty much the entire "San Angeles" megapolis is smack-dab in the middle of fire-modified savannah. The chances that there will be a brush fire and that some property will be damaged is high, but usually not bad enough to take out an entire township much less a larger city. Plus a city = asphalt + concrete = limited fuel for brush fires unless you're at the edges and the flames jump house to house because of overcrowding and high winds.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:21 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ever hear of houses going up in flames, from brush fires, across the border in Tijuana? Smart! You can't even get homeowner's insurance on houses/apartment buildings/motels built out of wood in Mexico! Concrete all the way!

When I had my house designed for me in the south Tijuana hills, every square inch of that house: concrete, even the roof, and metal framed windows! What could possibly burn?

How they must laugh at the idiots across the Border!!!
Good point. We see too little in terms of houses being constructed appropriately for the climate, potential natural threats, and resources.

Reminds me of when some developers starting introducing those cathedral ceilinged houses in New England- until the home heating bills reminded people of how totally stupid they were in cold climates!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
It happened before in this country. Could it happen again? I can see no reason why it couldn't.

fires

Fires, part II

Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Good point. We see too little in terms of houses being constructed appropriately for the climate, potential natural threats, and resources.

Reminds me of when some developers starting introducing those cathedral ceilinged houses in New England- until the home heating bills reminded people of how totally stupid they were in cold climates!!!
The lumber companies in this country are powerful lobbyists on a Federal, state, county, city level and they will always lead you to falsely believe that it's so much more expensive to build with concrete!

The main reason for America's penchant for wood construction is speed! Habitat for Humanity has proven, if organized, you can put up one of these fire-trap wooden houses in a matter of a few days, or more. No, you could never get that kind of speed with concrete construction! It might take weeks, months to get it built!

And, as they say wisely, haste makes waste!

If the day comes and anarchy sweeps this country, given our penchant for wooden construction, they'll be able to burn half the country down in a matter of days! The Watts riots in 1965 should be a warning!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:47 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Fire can weaken and destroy concrete. Government forces at the Mt. Carmel massacre in Waco used incendiary tear gas to immolate church members. Fire destroyed the concrete buildings as well. I'm appending supporting documents.

Only masonry construction (brick) is fireproof.

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/pdf/Murray.pdf

Visit to Branch Davidian Compound Outside Waco, TX | Soul Device

Waco siege - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness