Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 PM

335 posts, read 409,932 times

Advertisements

Sadly we live in a disconnected society who for the most part could care less about Jim Bakker only
remembered vaguely as that bad man religious guy (those saying this having zero religion or titled
Christians who I have no use for) . Yet Jim and Glenn probably are our last bastions of hope for survival
in a predicted survival less EMP (either precipitated by a nukes in the atmosphere or a coronal solar flare
that would knock out worldwide grids resulting in a medieval existence that would claim 90% of the pop-
ulation within a year (primarily all city dwellers). Either start catching the real sources of help our be a
fool watching movies and stop calling yourselves preppers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Although you posted no link I performed a search and found his show's website. There was nothing whatsoever about survival. I have heard that he sells dehydrated food, but that's not survivalism.

There is a website for Blaze Net, but it has nothing to do with either survivalism or him.

Shouldn't this be on the "Christianity" forum?

Old 06-07-2014, 12:22 AM

25,740 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Of the major talk show people, Glenn Beck is the most "tuned" to preparedness, it seems to me. However, I wouldn't consider him a survivalist radio show guy. At least not from what I've heard, and admittedly, I'm not a regular listener to any of the radio talk show people.

The Blaze is a news site. It was created in response to other news agencies that are basically indoctrination, misinformation, and rhetoric centers. I have not read material on The Blaze enough to form an opinion. But really, I don't see how it couldn't be better than the other news sites out there. It's a pretty low bar to top. My neighbor's dog could probably provide better news than most of the top news agencies.

As for Jim Bakker... other than remembering tabloid stuff from years ago, no idea. I have at least heard Glenn Beck now and again.

Ultimately, I would offer that listening to talk radio is not going to save anyone when the SHTF. It's intended as entertainment, and that's what it is.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Jim Bakker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd steer well clear of Bakker.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Jim Bakker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd steer well clear of Bakker.
Agreed also.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
I think anyone placing a lot of confidence in the pairing of Bakker and Beck probably has less of a probability of making it through a survival event in good shape.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:21 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
They certainly aren't the "last bastions." Are these the first survival focusing figures you've come across?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
I don't think of Beck as a prepper in his statesment about preparedness, so much as a Mormon. The LDS church has always advocated prepardness, and since sometime around the 1930's has advocated it's members have a years supply of food, and to grow a garden. In addition, they have frequently and actively discouraged debt with the exception of house mortgages and school/education debt that increases one's employable value. They have not had great success at having all or even most members meeting that standard, but I suspect LDS people are more prepared than their non LDS neighbors WRT food, and probably less likely to have a significant consumer debt load than others in the neighborhood.

I would label it prudent living, not prepping, although admittedly the line is somewhat blurred.

Water sources/filtration, seed stock, guns and ammo, gardening, food rotation use/planning, and other skills and equipment needed to independantly survive on their property with limited trading/barter to meet all required needs, is not really part of the thought process in the general LDS church population (an LDS garden is generally tomatoes and some cantalope)

Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
- Post Tribulationist are defiantly Prepers.
who are looking to Survive in The Great Tribulation till Jesus comes back.

Remember Y2K (?) They were leading the march!

How do I know? Because I was among them trying to reason with them.
One Church I visited had their lobby full of how to survive books, tapes, gear and such.
With speakers on hand.

Different groups do it for different beliefs.
But it all the same survivalist tech-know.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:30 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"Yet Jim and Glenn probably are our last bastions of hope for survival
in a predicted survival less EMP (either precipitated by a nukes in the atmosphere or a coronal solar flare
that would knock out worldwide grids resulting in a medieval existence that would claim 90% of the pop-
ulation within a year "

Pure horse hocky. If you plan on surviving because you dote upon talking heads instead of engineers and people who know how to make a living by doing instead of yammering and whinging, you will have about 47 minutes to live post-shtf before folks decide you would make tasty long pork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness