Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 08:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
That would be too easy. Most people here need an ideology, something/someone to defend from etc. Stockpiles of guns and ammo, concrete bunkers, a group of people to look out for, an impending collapse to watch out for, so on and so on. Without it, it appears it is just not so much fun. Nice try though
Without an ideology all decisions would be amoral. The most ancient literature shows that man has never been amoral. There has always been a moral code which is the core of any ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The title of this thread begins with the words, ''Live 1880...'' That's hard to actually do, but this man has been able to live 1880-1925 in his working life. I suggest watching all of his film clips. His operation is a marvel.

An operation of this sort could be suitable for not only job shops but also for estates, small factories, and many other businesses needing their own machine shops. I wish that I could find someone like this who were interested in working as an employee to set up a steam-powered shop as I can see a myriad of uses, e.g., custom mining machinery. I was really impressed.
He now has ten videos to watch. There is so much here for the antiquary who wishes to experiment in historic technology or just observe it in acction. Steam works as well today as it did in 1880. Have you begun your steam project yet. You don't need to start with a full shop. Models and miniatures are the best way for most of us to begin. I'm planning a coal-fired steam locomotive as my next project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxKw1w_i7_A

Old 04-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Slide rule

While the slide rule dates back to the early seventeenth century the modern slide rule dates back to 1859. In 1880 it was becoming a critical tool of the engineer and anyone else who needed to make quick and accurate calculations. Unlike today's calculators it needed no electricity so it was excellent for field use. It was common to carry a small slide rule and have a larger one in office or home. I have a 20'' slide rule that is just as accurate as any electric calculator. It's only a bit over fifty years old, but it's basically no different from those of 1880. It's worth noting that the great Wernher von Braun relied on a slide rule to put a man on the moon. Today it's an important tool for survivalists as it removes so much margin for error. It's ideal even for constructing wilderness shelters. Older slide rules are often investment grade collectibles. You can still buy new slide rules today.

I have provided a link to a Wikipedia article that has a good bit of information as well as a link to a very complete instruction book. I've had this book in my library for many, many years.

http://smile.amazon.com/Slide-Rules-...e+instructions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule

Old 04-06-2016, 08:34 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
If a person needs complex calculations to construct a wilderness shelter, they need a lot more help than a slide rule.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
If a person needs complex calculations to construct a wilderness shelter, they need a lot more help than a slide rule.
Suppose that you had to build a shelter at least 13' x 17' and needed to do it quickly which means using the least amount of building material. How would you do it without calculation? Suppose that was little building material available, particularly wood for the frame work. Even huts need a framework. That changes it a bit.

Now, how do you suppose that someone designing a tent for backpacking where every ounce counts designs the lightest tent possible?

Both problems described above have calculable solutions using trigonometry. The problems are, in fact, identical except for the variant that requires the lesser amount of framing material..

Regarding the two bolded words above, a noun must agree with its antecedent in gender, number, and case.

We're big on rigor in 1880.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Suppose that you had to build a shelter at least 13' x 17' and needed to do it quickly which means using the least amount of building material. How would you do it without calculation? Suppose that was little building material available, particularly wood for the frame work. Even huts need a framework. That changes it a bit.

Now, how do you suppose that someone designing a tent for backpacking where every ounce counts designs the lightest tent possible?

Both problems described above have calculable solutions using trigonometry. The problems are, in fact, identical except for the variant that requires the lesser amount of framing material..

Regarding the two bolded words above, a noun must agree with its antecedent in gender, number, and case.

We're big on rigor in 1880.
If I was going to build a shelter as described, I would use a calculator, or just a pad and pencil. Since I have a degree in architecture, and was a licensed contractor for many years, I could probably figure it out without the use of a slide rule. I have used a slide rule (in the past), but prefer other methods.
I calculate (pun intended) that even if the zombie apocalypse happens, by small calculator will do what I need it to do, unless we lose sunlight. Then I won't really care.
Actually I have designed and built a tent for backpacking. 4 person tent that came in at less than 6 lbs, and I used it for winter mountaineering. I made or modified a lot of my own mountaineering gear.
I would guess your backpacking tent using 1880 materials is going to be a lot heavier than mine. I embrace technology.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:03 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Happy, do you think life in Wyoming today could be somewhat practical
for someone without driving a car ? Think horses, dirtbike, all-terrain,
snowmo, whatever, but no state-licensed/insured.. in other words,
"off-system"...

Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
If I was going to build...
Remember the subjunctive?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Happy, do you think life in Wyoming today could be somewhat practical
for someone without driving a car ? Think horses, dirtbike, all-terrain,
snowmo, whatever, but no state-licensed/insured.. in other words,
"off-system"...
There are people who have lost their licenses; they live in town It's illegal to drive an ATV on a state highway. Distances are long here. It would be impractical not to drive.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Could not figure out how to share photo of my tent in PM, so here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Live 1880, the best time in American history.-scan-150530001-1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness