Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,469,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Ya should know that me tin foil hat is doing very very well at keeping the gov'ment from reading me mind. You got to keep those "commies" out....

People do not understand that the gubment is the one that started the whole "wear a tinfoil hat to protect yourself from the evil gubment" thing in the first place. It actually does not help nor hinder reception, but it does allow them to find people easier with their satellites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,380,920 times
That i did not know, and if true, is ery interesting. I would wonder why they would do it?

I have always heard of it being used for mind-reading, and very rarely reception based things. I would think running to the wilderness would make you the hardest to find, not rural areas, but the flat out no-one lives here kind of wilderness.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
They keep trying to disrupt this great thread, but after two years of enjoyable discourse, they show themselves to be abject failures.

Western Civilization was at its peak in 1880, culturally, socially, and intellectually. The disrupters don't understand and never will because they don't know what Western Civilization is. They're the louts, the uneducated, the undesirables. This is my last comment about them.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They keep trying to disrupt this great thread, but after two years of enjoyable discourse, they show themselves to be abject failures.

Western Civilization was at its peak in 1880, culturally, socially, and intellectually. The disrupters don't understand and never will because they don't know what Western Civilization is. They're the louts, the uneducated, the undesirables. This is my last comment about them.
So who exactly are "They". People who dont agree with you?

The 1880's were a great time if you were the elite. Everyone else was pretty much starving to death.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM

Here are some wonderful treadle machines. The owner of these doesn't worry about external power of any sort. This is a great video.

All of the regulars here know of my love for belt-driven machinery so you won't be surprised by the second video. Not all of us need the machinery for making windows, but I find the windows very tempting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ODmATbU2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--HRj25oQgI

Old 07-15-2016, 05:39 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,469,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Two years on this thread when you could be living as if you were in the 1880's? Please explain.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:17 AM

I find the history of weights and measures to be fascinating. However, the currently praised French system is sterile compared to the U.S. Customary Measure as well as other traditional systems. The American and British systems are very similar, but do have their differences. We still use these in this country and people in Great Britain prefer them as well.. There are areas in Missouri that still use the arpent, the old French unit of area rather than the acre. I found this Wikipedia article while doing other research. It provides a decent but brief introduction. If you like what you see post a reply or send me a message. I'll happily post a reading list. I've posted a link below to a voluminous book of conversion factors. Published by the same folks who have published Pocket Ref, it belongs in the survivalist's library. Just in case there's some benighted soul here not familiar with Pocket Ref, I've posted a link to it as well.

I am not unaware of the fact that the metric system dates back over two centuries, but mine is more than two thousand years older.

Collecting weights and measures is a fascinating pastime that fits with both 1880 as well as my collecting desiderata for the survivalist. We can certainly examine and discuss them. They're listed on ebay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperi...rement_systems

https://www.amazon.com/Measure-Thoma...re+for+measure

https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Ref-4t...rds=pocket+ref

weights measures in Antiques | eBay

Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 AM

125 posts, read 113,777 times
Are you my twin?
I too romanticize the 19th century, except I don't care for industrialism. I want to go back to the time where you could move west, claim land, and build whatever you want without building codes or permits or communist government telling you how you can live. I want to go back to an era where extreme Christian conservatism was normal and not looked down upon like today. I want to go back to the time where buying a gun was like buying a candy bar. I want to go back to a time where children didn't grow up to be entitled brats looking for free handouts.

My end goal is to basically live very primitively.
I aim to have a simple cabin, with a hand pump well, wood stove, compost toilet, and a bag shower (fill bag with water, shower, kinda like a camp shower I guess).
About the only technology I will have is a laptop and phone and vehicle..
That is to keep tabs on world affairs, domestic affairs, and watch old westerns when bored.

With that said about the only good thing about the 21st century is modern medicine.. I don't really care about the rest.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:19 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,417,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
Are you my twin?
I too romanticize the 19th century, except I don't care for industrialism. I want to go back to the time where you could move west, claim land, and build whatever you want without building codes or permits or communist government telling you how you can live. I want to go back to an era where extreme Christian conservatism was normal and not looked down upon like today. I want to go back to the time where buying a gun was like buying a candy bar. I want to go back to a time where children didn't grow up to be entitled brats looking for free handouts.

My end goal is to basically live very primitively.
I aim to have a simple cabin, with a hand pump well, wood stove, compost toilet, and a bag shower (fill bag with water, shower, kinda like a camp shower I guess).
About the only technology I will have is a laptop and phone and vehicle..
That is to keep tabs on world affairs, domestic affairs, and watch old westerns when bored.

With that said about the only good thing about the 21st century is modern medicine.. I don't really care about the rest.
The simple life....

Old 09-18-2016, 04:23 AM

125 posts, read 113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
The simple life....
I was thinking more Little House, but okay lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness