Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 07:27 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times

Advertisements

I like the concept. I don't like the price. However makes sense for me since I have an RV and living in a rural Florida, power 'frequently' goes out. Lot's of sun in the Sunshine State.

I have generator options, PTO generator and dual fuel 3500 Champion (Honda knock off), but I like the solar option and the portability. I often RV without hookups.

I like the Titan https://www.pointzeroenergy.com/prod...olar-generator and looking at other options.

https://shopsolarkits.com/blogs/lear...83050054&cr7=c

I'd like to hear opinions and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 09:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
Look at the specs and see what is the actual usable capacity and what is any charge (usually solar) rate. Next compute your emergency power needs. Based on those calculations, how long will those units realistically provide emergency power for your needs? Since you have an RV, look at your current power availability based only on the coach battery or batteries. What can you realistically power from just the battery bank? Now, how does that compare with a box-o-batteries"?

You may find that a couple GC2's with a cheapo Harbor Freight suitcase solar can provide as much juice in an emergency as that expensive setup for a much much lower cost. Now think going Li battery and upgraded solar and a quality controller and inverter, you'll probably still be below the prepackaged unit cost and most likely will have a heck of a lot more amps available.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:50 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
We have a free-standing photovoltaic array powering our house, @4400 watts.

And a 48vdc battery bank with 600ah.

I would like to know how many watts of solar you can fit on the roof of an RV?

Old 03-03-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have a free-standing photovoltaic array powering our house, @4400 watts.

And a 48vdc battery bank with 600ah.

I would like to know how many watts of solar you can fit on the roof of an RV?
Well I wouldn't do roof top. I would however do a long extension to put the solar panels in the best location. Typically when RVing you look for shade under trees in the warmer months. Roof top doesn't make sense then.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:44 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
My problem with portable power stations is that most of the affordable ones are of Chinese origin with dubious warranties.

Ryobi makes a 1800 watt power station that uses their 40v line of batteries. I don't have one so can't recommend it, but if a person already has 40v batteries for their lawn mowers etc, why not use the same batteries for a larger generator if needed? They have a 5 year warranty on the power station and a 3 year warranty on the batteries, plus the power station allows for mix/match on the battery sizes. It makes the most sense to have batteries that can be used in other devices/configurations than just the power station.

I do own and use the Ryobi 300 watt (single battery) inverter and it works great. It failed during the warranty period and the replaced it. Just FYI

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396023759

Old 03-04-2022, 08:21 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
...it works great. It failed ...
??? Only one of those phrases can be true.

The OP is talking about an RV-- Why not just run electric appliances off the vehicle battery? You can add batteries in parallel and charge them with the vehicle's engine/alternator as needed. Wire in an inverter if the appliances aren't DC...Aren't all RVs set up with an auxillary battery already? How does the fridge/freezer keep things cold while on the road?

Old 03-04-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
??? Only one of those phrases can be true.

The OP is talking about an RV-- Why not just run electric appliances off the vehicle battery? You can add batteries in parallel and charge them with the vehicle's engine/alternator as needed. Wire in an inverter if the appliances aren't DC...Aren't all RVs set up with an auxillary battery already? How does the fridge/freezer keep things cold while on the road?
They can both be true, but not at the same time. It works great, I dropped it, they replaced it under warranty...etc., but I digress.

I'm not 'just' talking about RVing. Think off grid cabin (have one), or a boat (have one), or an RV (have one), or emergency back up at night when getting up to run/hook up the generator is not real convenient (own a home). However to answer your questions regarding my RV... some items/appliances run off of 12VDC (water pump, fans, lights, ), some off 120VAC (micro wave, AC unit), some off propane (heat, stove) and some off of both/either 120v and propane (fridge, water heater). 12VDC must always be available or dual use appliances will shut off. I have two group 27 NorthStar AGMs on my travel trailer and 3 group 31 NorthStar AGM's on my boat.

The way I see it... Portable power stations offer versatility for all my needs without the use of a fuel needed for a generator, and yet can operate 120VAC appliances like a fridge, freezer or small portable AC unit. Lithium batteries are a game changer and getting less expensive all the time. They can be charged with a vehicle, 120VAC or with the use of solar. That appeals to me for many reasons. Cost is the limitation, hence I asking others about their personal experiences and opinions. I can afford one, but common sense suggests questions are appropriate.

Like I said the Titan is the most versatile, premium product and not made in China, it's made in Canada. it's also the most expensive, by far.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
They can both be true, but not at the same time. It works great, I dropped it, they replaced it under warranty...etc., but I digress.

I'm not 'just' talking about RVing. Think off grid cabin (have one), or a boat (have one), or an RV (have one), or emergency back up at night when getting up to run/hook up the generator is not real convenient (own a home). ...
In my town, there is only one house that does not use a generator [mine].

Some of my neighbors use portable generators with an extension cord that plugs into the mains breaker panel, by code they are supposed to have a transfer switch so you can never be connected to grid at the same time as when you are running your generator.

Other homes have a stationary generator hardwired. Those units kick on immediately when the grid goes down.

There are many options available. You can use a generator in a manner that would be inconvenient, or you can use a generator in a manner that is very convenient. The choice is yours.

My nextdoor neighbor has the big generator hardwired. His fuel bills are often over $150 a month to feed that thing.

The smartest setup I have seen is some homes use two generators. One big unit that can power everything, and one small unit that can only power lights and laptops. The big unit consumes a gallon an hour, while the small units run for eight hours on a single gallon of fuel.

On days when the grid is down [2 or 3 times a month], they turn on the big unit for one hour a day. During that hour they run the refrigerator, freezers, they flush the toilets, do laundry and everyone takes a shower. As soon as all that is done, the big unit is shut off and they run the small unit until the next day.

In our township about one-third of the land parcels have access to the paved road and grid power. Two-thirds do not access to either.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:52 AM

I understand about ICE generators... I'm retired from a power company. I already have a PTO generator I can run off my tractor that can power the whole house and a smaller 3500 W dual fuel (gasoline/propane) inverter generator for my RV or smaller load situations. Got that covered. I'm good.

It's portable Solar generators/power station I'm inquiring about.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:59 AM

I have seen things marketed as a ' portable Solar generators/power station', but I thought they max out at around 100 watts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness