Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:29 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

If you post online at all then all of your privacy is pretty much gone anyway so real ID is hardly the biggest thing you should be worrying about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
even if I pushed the limits, I was completely within the law and did nothing illegal.
I can't understand why anyone would submit to government searches just to be able to fly at a cheap rate. For the frequent air traveler or for his business the preferred choice is fractional ownership. For the not so frequent flyer an air charter is suitable.

Rail travel was for a time the best for folks with extra time. But Washington wished to hire more people as is their wont. Private varnish is the answer, but it's generally expensive and requires advance and often complicated arrangements.

Travel by car is pleasant, but we can have no idea if we're on a database. Besides, licenses from certain states may provide probable cause for searches. Occupants of more expensive vehicles are, however, less likely to be molested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I often wonder if some people received their licenses as a prize in a box of Cracker Jacks.
That's such a lovely and hallowed expression.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:29 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
It is all about control people. Everybody plays their part in the problem. You can assemble, go to court, and deal with these people, first hand. You have a problem with your privacy, you know what the laws are, and you know the pacifist sacrifice people will have to make to get the things you want. You can civilly assemble, or even vote down these things, and let your voice be heard.

It is like the cold war, with privacy right now. It is only a state of mind, and if people had never purchased products, manufacturing, and etc from outside the nation, we wouldn't be in the "cold war" to begin with. But because everybody speaks rubbish like strike, union, and various rights that only the government could provide, we are in this mess even further.

Somebody said the worst thing you can do is be cheap. That is how many people making money are. Real cheap, using sources outside the nation as a whole. That is what we are doing, being real cheap, with our fellow man. We are being cheap but we want to get paid more. The more we make, the more taxes we have to pay, the more taxes, the more crap like this they ( the G-peeps ) can pull off.

In a nutshell we are not making so much money to begin with. Most of the money is going towards collecting donations for another war, becuase we allow them to collect off us. If we had the money, like millionares, we wouldn't care, but as the poor fool, who makes barely nothing from nothing, we are hurting ourselves.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I can't understand why anyone would submit to government searches just to be able to fly at a cheap rate. For the frequent air traveler or for his business the preferred choice is fractional ownership. For the not so frequent flyer an air charter is suitable.

Rail travel was for a time the best for folks with extra time. But Washington wished to hire more people as is their wont. Private varnish is the answer, but it's generally expensive and requires advance and often complicated arrangements.

Travel by car is pleasant, but we can have no idea if we're on a database. Besides, licenses from certain states may provide probable cause for searches. Occupants of more expensive vehicles are, however, less likely to be molested.

That's such a lovely and hallowed expression.

HIW, I no longer fly anywhere, I am just as happy driving if I have reason to leave the state.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
If you post online at all then all of your privacy is pretty much gone anyway so real ID is hardly the biggest thing you should be worrying about.
Not entirely true. There are still steps you can take to protect your privacy online while posting, if you choose.
1. Proxies
2. Vpn's
3. Do not add your data to subscriber required websites.
4. Do not include valid email addresses to sites which share them or use them for marketing.
5. Do not use search engines which retain your preferences.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Not entirely true. There are still steps you can take to protect your privacy online while posting, if you choose.
1. Proxies
2. Vpn's
3. Do not add your data to subscriber required websites.
4. Do not include valid email addresses to sites which share them or use them for marketing.
5. Do not use search engines which retain your preferences.

that is just part of what I do. I also reformat my computer every month just to make sure there is not anything I do not want on it. plus I do some other things well.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
that is just part of what I do. I also reformat my computer every month just to make sure there is not anything I do not want on it. plus I do some other things well.
Well, yeah there's a whole chapter of things you can do to limit your presence on the internet, as well as taking yourself out of society entirely ... short of taking your own life.
One thing few people ever consider is spreading "disinformation" about yourself. In other words, put fictitious data online and leave a fictitious paper trail behind you of incorrect information.
Wrong phone numbers, old or never had addresses, phony places of employment, in other states you've never been. Even photos not of you are a method used to confuse those who might be looking for you.
There's other methods too, which I can't go into here.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:56 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Well, yeah there's a whole chapter of things you can do to limit your presence on the internet, as well as taking yourself out of society entirely ... short of taking your own life.
One thing few people ever consider is spreading "disinformation" about yourself. In other words, put fictitious data online and leave a fictitious paper trail behind you of incorrect information.
Wrong phone numbers, old or never had addresses, phony places of employment, in other states you've never been. Even photos not of you are a method used to confuse those who might be looking for you.
There's other methods too, which I can't go into here.
This may deter an ill-equipped private entity but any private investigator worth their salt or any government agency can find you no matter what you do. It is really a matter of how much someone wants to spend to find you (when talking about paying a private eye) or how important you are to be found.

As for your recommendations of VPNs proxies - they are completely useless against the government. All they do is give you a false sense of security. Tor project may help you but it will also attract attention to you.

Someone mentioned reformatting their computer once a month: depending on the kind of formatting - it could be just superficial "quick" formatting where nothing is erased except for meta-information on the file system. If someone (government) is determined enough, your hard drive can be subjected to all sorts of analysis that will yield useful data.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
It is all about control people. Everybody plays their part in the problem. You can assemble, go to court, and deal with these people, first hand. You have a problem with your privacy, you know what the laws are, and you know the pacifist sacrifice people will have to make to get the things you want. You can civilly assemble, or even vote down these things, and let your voice be heard.
The Occupy Wall Street people tried to assemble - look what happened there. Let's face it - we are going down the road of DDR or CCCP. The surveillance and spying is so pervasive and so far reaching that there does not seem to be a way to reverse it anymore. If you think about it - more than 50% of the people in the country are perfectly OK with the whole apparatus being in motion. Thats the scary part.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Now all my wallet has in it is pictures and money. Everything else is in an aluminum case.

It could be worse, I heard that in Australia the banks report to the government any account that has not been accessed for 3 years and the government takes the money.

I still prefer to pay cash. No ID is needed and it can't be scanned. It also limits my purchases to the amount of money I planned on spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness