Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rather do in case of SHTF?
Bug out by boat or sailboat to a deserted island 16 44.44%
Bug out by vehicle to the wilderness 17 47.22%
Undecided 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,809,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Well, it's hard for a 14" foot flat bottom and paddle to break down.

But you sure aren't getting too far on it in the sense of bugging out. I guess the upside is you are the fuel.

I also typed a lot more into my response but decided against leaving it in there. Some might call it OPSEC or just not sharing a plan. I imagine most people in this forum would consider what I posted to be common sense, so I left it out.

But bugging out on a 14 foot boat, in my mind, is just plain crazy. But I don't think you meant that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,526,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
But you sure aren't getting too far on it in the sense of bugging out. I guess the upside is you are the fuel.

I also typed a lot more into my response but decided against leaving it in there. Some might call it OPSEC or just not sharing a plan. I imagine most people in this forum would consider what I posted to be common sense, so I left it out.

But bugging out on a 14 foot boat, in my mind, is just plain crazy. But I don't think you meant that.
Yeah, I'm not bugging out on a 14 foot boat unless I have to. There are places though that fish are easy and nobody would be around, but I wouldn't love living there.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 PM

297 posts, read 357,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
But bugging out on a 14 foot boat, in my mind, is just plain crazy.
Depends where you are bugging out too or from doesn't it?
Again, like i have posted before, absolutes are wrong absolutely.
I would love to see you drive to the states or, well, anywhere from Hawaii. :P

A boat might not be a great long term solution, but it could very well be a fantastic form of transportation.
I think many of the people who posted honestly believe they can escape to a sailboat and "Waterworld" it up forever, which I personally think is Hilarius, but on the opposite end, many seem to ignore the many advantages boats have to specific individuals in specific conditions.
If you live in a very large city (like LA) and foot travel or car travel might be to impossible (like LA or NY) and you are close to the water (like LA and NY), then a boat for a day or two to get further up or down the coast, could very well be the best possible solution.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,840,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Depends where you are bugging out too or from doesn't it?
Again, like i have posted before, absolutes are wrong absolutely.
I would love to see you drive to the states or, well, anywhere from Hawaii. :P

A boat might not be a great long term solution, but it could very well be a fantastic form of transportation.
I think many of the people who posted honestly believe they can escape to a sailboat and "Waterworld" it up forever, which I personally think is Hilarius, but on the opposite end, many seem to ignore the many advantages boats have to specific individuals in specific conditions.
If you live in a very large city (like LA) and foot travel or car travel might be to impossible (like LA or NY) and you are close to the water (like LA and NY), then a boat for a day or two to get further up or down the coast, could very well be the best possible solution.
In order to use that boat you have to either keep it in a marina or at home (you have to have space, a truck and trailer and you have to tow it to the marina for access to water). Either are long-term pretty expensive options. I am sure if SHTF and the water is the ONLY way out you will see people trying to leave in bathtubs but in general, only the people who live on the water or have money to keep a boat on the water (fully stocked with food and drinking water nevertheless) and/or live near the water with all the equipment necessary to get the boat to the water in time will have a shot of leaving whatever it is that they are leaving. Then there is also the knowledge of the water and where to go - presumably if it is SO BAD that you are leaving land on a boat to survive - landing on another piece of land may be equally dangerous. So on and so on. Not undoable but definitely not something someone can take up today and be out and ready tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:11 PM

772 posts, read 911,038 times
I guess I am just hoping he doesn't have to bug out during a hurricane .

Old 01-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
In order to use that boat you have to either keep it in a marina or at home (you have to have space, a truck and trailer and you have to tow it to the marina for access to water). Either are long-term pretty expensive options. I am sure if SHTF and the water is the ONLY way out you will see people trying to leave in bathtubs but in general, only the people who live on the water or have money to keep a boat on the water (fully stocked with food and drinking water nevertheless) and/or live near the water with all the equipment necessary to get the boat to the water in time will have a shot of leaving whatever it is that they are leaving. Then there is also the knowledge of the water and where to go - presumably if it is SO BAD that you are leaving land on a boat to survive - landing on another piece of land may be equally dangerous. So on and so on. Not undoable but definitely not something someone can take up today and be out and ready tomorrow.

Buying a boat? $$$
Stocking a boat with provisions? $$
Dry dock or wet docking a boat?$$
Stealing someone elses boat? Priceless!!

Old 01-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Hope you dont try to walk during a ZA!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,496,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Anyone who actually tries to do that probably deserves everything that follows...

Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,496,727 times
Has anyone seen the Robert Redford movie All is Lost ?? I could only tolerate about 35-40 minutes of it, because (in my mind) he kept making stupid, "rookie", potentially-fatal mistakes. Example -- going below for foul-weather gear AFTER the storm hit, even though he'd seen it approaching for an hour or more. I mean, I may be overly-cautious, but I'd never want to leave the tiller untended during a storm, even for a moment. I've seen far too many "knock-down squalls"...

I turned off the movie when he pulled out the still-bagged "Storm Jib" DURING the storm. I was taught that "during a blow, it is always easier to shake out an unneeded reef than to add one." The same holds true of "storm jib versus working jib".

(Though I must admit that his "rookie behavior" did help to justify him running afoul of the derelict shipping container.)

Last edited by Nighteyes; 01-30-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Anyone who actually tries to do that probably deserves everything that follows...
Bump. Darwinism takes over during every major disaster. Gotta clean up that gene pool every now and again right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness