Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:50 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times

Advertisements

If we have a SHTF situation that lasts for more than just a few days there will be groups wanting to form a community. Many of the skills that most of us have in our current professions will be absolutely useless in the new society. Knowledge in the form of BOOKS and Magazines will be worth their weight in GOLD (actually I would rather have a good Eagle Scout handbook than a pound of GOLD if the SHTF). One person might be proficient in several areas but unless we want to go back to living conditions similar to that in the dark ages a variety of skills will be needed to have a thriving community. Having a number of people with all these different skills would be almost impossible. However a collection of just a few dozen"how To" books could insure the long term success of a community.

List five books on subjects that you feel would be needed to teach the next generation basic skills needed to survive and thrive in a civilized way.

My five would be:
1. A book on identifying various types of Clays and techniques to make pottery.
2. How to make primitive weapons.
3. How to make shelter out of available materials.
4. Animal husbandry including food storage and butchering.
5. A book on basic Chemistry and identifying.

A skill that may be just as important as my five would be the ability to meet water demands and waste disposal in a safe way.
A community with fifty or sixty different people and a wide variety of of skills will guarantee a thriving community that allows everyone to find their own niche. Some of the jobs of today will be totally useless. For instance I was an Owner Operator in the trucking business for many years. I doubt that there will be much demand for drivers of big trucks after a SHTF situation has wiped out fuel supplies.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 12:09 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
If we have a SHTF situation that lasts for more than just a few days there will be groups wanting to form a community. Many of the skills that most of us have in our current professions will be absolutely useless in the new society. Knowledge in the form of BOOKS and Magazines will be worth their weight in GOLD (actually I would rather have a good Eagle Scout handbook than a pound of GOLD if the SHTF). One person might be proficient in several areas but unless we want to go back to living conditions similar to that in the dark ages a variety of skills will be needed to have a thriving community. Having a number of people with all these different skills would be almost impossible. However a collection of just a few dozen"how To" books could insure the long term success of a community.

List five books on subjects that you feel would be needed to teach the next generation basic skills needed to survive and thrive in a civilized way.

My five would be:

A skill that may be just as important as my five would be the ability to meet water demands and waste disposal in a safe way.
A community with fifty or sixty different people and a wide variety of of skills will guarantee a thriving community that allows everyone to find their own niche. Some of the jobs of today will be totally useless. For instance I was an Owner Operator in the trucking business for many years. I doubt that there will be much demand for drivers of big trucks after a SHTF situation has wiped out fuel supplies.

GL2
I'd replace number 4 with books about plant identification and herbal medicine. If the TRUTH be told, you can live very healthfully on very little fruit and vegetables or herbs once you are detoxed and cleaned out from the toxins your body has stored from decades of over-eating too much of dead cooked food BIG food has brainwashed us in to believing is good for us or should be part of our diet.

As it turns out complex sugars and complex carbohydrates as well as meats and dairy,only create an acidic environment from hardened mucus which is the true underlying cause of all of our so called "disease". Actually there is no such thing.

Did you know you can stop a wound from bleeding in 10 seconds drinking a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in water? Also the same will stop a stroke or a heart attack in progress.

Our digestive tracts are 98 percent identical to primates and to restore our health, all we need to do is give our bodies what it needs. "Robert Morse N.D." on YouTube is a great place to learn what your body actually needs. Look up "No such thing as diseases" "Robert Morse ND on YouTube. (We aren't omnivores afterall. We are frugivores and we have been killing ourselves trying to eat like omnivores.)

Basically, life begets life. So you don't want to eat dead, cooked food as your main source of nutrition. You also don't have to worry about calories or "protein". In fact too much protein ruins your kidneys which you need to filter the wastes from 100 trillion cells that make up your body.Your digestive tract does the best eating raw live fruit and vegetables and herbs and if you are cleaned out and able to absorb the nutrients from your food, you need very little. Most of us have caked on mucoid plaque lining our digestive tract preventing nutrients from being assimilated into the body which we need to dislodge and get rid of. So the last thing any prepper needs is to store a whole bunch of food that only helps to further cement and add to the mucoid plaque that is already there. That should be good news. It is one less thing to have to worry about and it cuts down on the grocery shopping.

This is a great site to go to to begin to bone up on DIY health care Ailments & Cleansing Programs

Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 AM

13,627 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Not just plant identification, but propagation, the growing of, and the storage of seeds.

Too many people are expecting an abundance of animal life to live on. When the infrastructure has fallen apart, and organised farming has collapsed, those free critters are not going to last long.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
I say this over and over the best books to have in any library are the Foxfire series of life in Appalachia area of the U.S. They go into detail of many ways the people lived for over 150 years.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Where There Is No Doctor, a simple guide written for workers in primitive areas:

Books and Resources | Hesperian Health Guides

Old 11-15-2014, 12:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

My five would be:

GL2
What are your favorite books on these subjects? Without knowing that, it's impossible to make a useful response. You've only mentioned one, a book devoted to primarily backcountry information. I'll make another point: books contain information, not knowledge. The individual needs to read the material and comprehend it, then use it. That applies whether a person is learning flintknapping or Russian grammar.

Here's one that everyone needs for self-reliant living: an older copy of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics that contains the math section. A realistic list will have far more than a few dozen.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery belongs on every prepper's bookshelf.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Well, one book one might need down the line.........How to use a slide rule.

Otherwise, When Duct Tape is not enough.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, one book one might need down the line.........How to use a slide rule.

Otherwise, When Duct Tape is not enough.
These are excellent suggestions. Slide rules are very accurate, the larger the better. There are several websites discussing them. There have been a number of books written about using and collecting them that pop up on Amazon and ebay.

Here's the actual title for the duct tapeless book. I hadn't heard of it so I looked it up. It has good reviews and the preview looks good so I bought it. It's a book likely to be far more useful than doomsday books.

Popular Mechanics When Duct Tape Just Isn't Enough: Quick Fixes for Everyday Disasters: C. J. Petersen: 9781618370556: Amazon.com: Books

Old 11-15-2014, 12:50 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What are your favorite books on these subjects? Without knowing that, it's impossible to make a useful response. You've only mentioned one, a book devoted to primarily backcountry information. I'll make another point: books contain information, not knowledge. The individual needs to read the material and comprehend it, then use it. That applies whether a person is learning flintknapping or Russian grammar.

Here's one that everyone needs for self-reliant living: an older copy of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics that contains the math section. A realistic list will have far more than a few dozen.
Good choice. Probably almost as necessary as THE PHYSICIANS DESK REFERENCE. One thing these two books have in common is that they need a reader with a high level of comprehension to understand them. A division of labor would be possible in a larger community because basic subsistence is the first priority in a smaller community.
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness