Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:49 AM

14,986 posts, read 23,763,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
stock up on bullets...
*sigh* and they ask why we have ammo shortages and scalpers taking advantage of us that arm for sport and competitive shooting and "normal" self defense needs.

Do your fantasy survival thing. But please don't hoard ammo. Please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,545,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Are we crazy? Me thinks not. At the end of the day, it is what you value - are you OK buying the junk they pass as food in grocery stores or do you think your body is a temple?
You are "walking the walk." Being able to provide for yourself is your lifestyle, not something you do whenever there is a blip on the world stage. There are many benefits to doing that. I do what I can, where I am.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,519,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Good grief...do you need to tell us all on this forum what to do, to be prepared? Haven't you read any of the threads on this forum? This is the only place on C-D where you won't get an argument about this stuff. Not from most of us, anyway.
The OP is no newcomer to c-d, but it's the first time I've seen a post of his on the S-S & P forum. He may very well be new to the movement and desirous to share his new found knowledge and awareness. Besides, it never hurts to say it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I see these "Dooms Day Preppers" on TV, I think back to all the people in the 50's who built bomb shelters. Lotta good those would have done unless you could stay down there a thousand years. The bunkers today's survivalists are building are just as silly IMO.

If something REALLY bad happens I am not sure I want to be around to have to hunt with a bow and arrow and eat survival rations.

Don
Bomb shelters certainly never hurt the builders. They also taught people there were ways to survive without government assistance. The same applies to Y2K. The people who responded to these potential crises have been prudent people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
*sigh* and they ask why we have ammo shortages and scalpers taking advantage of us that arm for sport and competitive shooting and "normal" self defense needs.

Do your fantasy survival thing. But please don't hoard ammo. Please...
People who speculated on increases in ammunition prices have already done well. It can't hurt to pick up more. Prudent people have no responsbility to the imprudent.

Here's an example of prudence. I might disagree on specifics. Additionally, he should be devoting more time and money to both investments and security. However, he and his wife have a viable plan as far as it goes and they've been acting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Here are my motivations and actions:

1. I Collect rain water into a large tank so that I have it if my well pump fails. It could take some time to replace it and we have two horses and two people (my wife and I) and I need this water.

2. Solar: I don't want to be at the whim of the local utility company.

3. Pellet stove: I hate to burn electricity to warm up my home.

4. Garden: I KNOW what goes into the modern "food" today (if you can call it that). My motivations are purely personal - I like to know that what I eat was grown with just the soil I have and the matured horse manure my horses produce.

5. Beekeeping: I like honey, it has so many medicinal properties AND the bees are dying world-wide. Also, honey is expensive in the store AND it is garbage often imported from China mixed with garbage imported from somewhere else AND it is pasteurized. Sorry but that ain't honey no more and it still sells at high prices. Plus I love them bees, they are very cute

6. Have two chickens for eggs. The crap they sell in stores doesn't pass for eggs in my books. Plus they are pasteurized, again.

My wife and I put in all our fencing, do all of our own work (if we don't know how, we learn), built our hay storage unit, our chicken coop, we renovated the mobile home that came with the property (why throw away something that has already been built in order to spend more materials on another home?), so on and so on.
I'll reiterate one of my basic principles: 90% of those who survive cataclysm of any sort will do so because they picked the right location.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 08-01-2014 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 02:13 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,506,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I see these "Dooms Day Preppers" on TV, I think back to all the people in the 50's who built bomb shelters. Lotta good those would have done unless you could stay down there a thousand years. The bunkers today's survivalists are building are just as silly IMO.

If something REALLY bad happens I am not sure I want to be around to have to hunt with a bow and arrow and eat survival rations.

Don
LMAO!!

You do realize that those bunkers were considered part of civil defense and the federal government was encouraging people to put them in right??

Fallout Shelters

How come when the government tells you to prep it's ok, but if you do it on your own your a wacko??

I guess this is going to devolve into another "attack anyone that has their own mind and dosen't follow the government hyperbole" thread

Very few preppers are Doomers, but I guess that doesn't figure into the equation when you try to smear a whole segment of the population huh?

Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,272,308 times
5. Stock up on tin foil for hats. You're going to need them.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM

11,096 posts, read 7,840,199 times
The sky is falling!

Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,545,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'll reiterate one of my basic principles: 90% of those who survive cataclysm of any sort will do so because they picked the right location.
This ^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-01-2014, 03:14 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,763,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People who speculated on increases in ammunition prices have already done well. It can't hurt to pick up more. Prudent people have no responsbility to the imprudent.
We've discussed this in the gun forum so this has been beat to death I know - it's not speculation, it's self-causing. The last ammunition shortage was caused by fear of some change in legislation that never happened, then the hoarding started, then the shortage, then scalpers. People who speculated based on the premises of this thread simply purchased a closet full of overpriced ammo, they did not do well. A few opportunist (some may call them scum-bags) who have no concerns about survival or preparedness are the only ones that did well and purchased low and sold high, sometimes by doing the dirtbag move of waiting when a wallmart opened and buying all the supplies they had in stock.
I have nothing against having a few thousand rounds in the closet. I probably have 2 thousand rounds of 9mm, lots of buckshot shells. But some take it to the extreme and it sounds like the OP is suggesting that with his hysterics.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:55 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,837,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Of course, as you probably know, this is illegal in Colorado. Rain water belongs to someone downstream and if you impeded it you become the criminal.
That law was repealed/changed in 2009, I believe?

Old 08-01-2014, 04:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,999,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
4. Find some friends, REAL friends who will be their when it all happens who will be ready to come check on you, your family and theirs, to pull resources and or just keep your insanity.

That last part seems a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness