Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:01 PM

760 posts, read 767,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? so they want people to move mobile homes?
Yes, because they would, many are on wheels usually- they be considered as seasonal, CAMPERS or RV's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 09:07 PM

760 posts, read 767,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Uh, so I should just throw away my career and last 6 years of life ???
Whatever works for you, I bought a 2 bedroom, 1,000 sq ft 1930 farm house with full basement, city gas water and sewer on 1/2 acre of rural land for $7,900, my mortgage was about $89 a month, I paid it off in 5 years real easy.
I'd rather buy a $7,900 house and live easy than live in a place like you do in a house that costs say $375,000 for a starter home and then NEED a career or high paying job just to make the $3,000 a month mortgage payements for the next 20-30 years!
It all depends on your priorities, me, I don't want to buy a $375,000 house in the subburbs with a neighbors' house 15 feet away from mine on either side- so close I can hear their toilet flush, and have to make payments on it for 30 years!

I've done the "tiny house" thing for ten years- living in a converted 70 passenger school bus and it was a pain in the neck, the ceiling was low, very little storage space, frankly I'm glad I got rid of it when I bought my house. The only good part about it was the land I was living on owned by a friend was free for me to be there and included a hookup to his water and electric which he never charged me a cent for.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:43 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Whatever works for you, I bought a 2 bedroom, 1,000 sq ft 1930 farm house with full basement, city gas water and sewer on 1/2 acre of rural land for $7,900,
This is exactly what I am looking for. The problem for me is most of the areas where I am interested in buying don't offer city water. I refuse to live in a house with a well again.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Whatever works for you, I bought a 2 bedroom, 1,000 sq ft 1930 farm house with full basement, city gas water and sewer on 1/2 acre of rural land for $7,900, my mortgage was about $89 a month, I paid it off in 5 years real easy.
I'd rather buy a $7,900 house and live easy than live in a place like you do in a house that costs say $375,000 for a starter home and then NEED a career or high paying job just to make the $3,000 a month mortgage payements for the next 20-30 years!
It all depends on your priorities, me, I don't want to buy a $375,000 house in the subburbs with a neighbors' house 15 feet away from mine on either side- so close I can hear their toilet flush, and have to make payments on it for 30 years!
I like this post. I see some logic here. This is exactly my reasoning and opinion concerning homes (along with other reasons).

Don't get me wrong, if a person WANTS the half-million dollar palace, that's fine by me. If that's what they are into and they want to spend 30 years paying on it and funding all that it needs... cool. BUT, to force everyone into that sort of "slavery" (it is slavery if it's against your will) with codes and zoning and rules that allow for no acceptable alternative... well, that's where I get all worked up over it. If I want a 500 sq ft home that is built well, kept up well, built safely, etc, there is no legitimate reason (other than where there would be safety concerns for ANY house) for me to not be able to have one in a typical rural or urban setting of my choice. Not everyone wants a "Cadillac." Some of us would rather have the old Ford. And in many cases, it has nothing to do with economic means. It is a matter of preference. If I had 100 million dollars in the bank, I would not live in a large house. If I had a large house given to me free, I would not live in it. I'd sell it and buy something smaller. As I said, it's a matter of preference... preference that is often not allowed here in the "land of the free."

Old 09-28-2014, 10:08 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,247 times
In which case, go live with the rest of us who drive old Fords and quit kvetching about those who want their communities to remain Cadillac-worthy.

Quote:
This is exactly what I am looking for. The problem for me is most of the areas where I am interested in buying don't offer city water. I refuse to live in a house with a well again.
Don't you usually have to live IN town, to be on town-water?? I've lived in about a dozen rural homes, granted only in the high plains states (maybe they do things differently elsewhere), but town-water was never an option. It was always well...

Old 09-28-2014, 11:21 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I'm not saying anything of the sort. I really don't care what you do one way or the other.
I simply pointed out that it's a matter of priorities.

Your job is currently more important to you than where you live. That's fine. But that doesn't mean you don't have options.

There's a big difference.
Great for stating the obvious - you walk that fine line very well but there is just a BIT of snark/judgement in your remarks.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:53 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
I'd rather have a well than be on city water.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
That is exact reason HOA's came about. Ordinances not being enforced. Many cities are overwhelmed trying to enforce so many on so many; plain and simple.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Great for stating the obvious - you walk that fine line very well but there is just a BIT of snark/judgement in your remarks.

judgement about what?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:

I've done the "tiny house" thing for ten years- living in a converted 70 passenger school bus and it was a pain in the neck, the ceiling was low, very little storage space, frankly I'm glad I got rid of it when I bought my house. The only good part about it was the land I was living on owned by a friend was free for me to be there and included a hookup to his water and electric which he never charged me a cent for.
I wouldn't have a mortgage at any rate, but I find it really annoying that the prices are legislated into the sky by zoning laws. I should not have to give up my career to live in a house I own without going into debt and without taking 20+ years to save for the stupid thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness