Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM

335 posts, read 409,804 times

Advertisements

More inquisitive regarding this subject than having meaningful or concrete statistics.
I do know that the availability of food via "delivery" is a key dependance coupled with
factors such as drought, pestulence, farming prioities (bio fuel vs.food production)
quality or success of personal homesteading/gardening,affordibility and prepardedness storage albeit emergency food . FEMA purchased 1billion dollars of 25 year shelf emergency food for rationing in event of pandemic/disaster. So following that example
prepare!

Last edited by Inattentive; 09-05-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Are you making a statement, or asking a question?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:55 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
FEMA purchased 1billion dollars of 25 year shelf emergency food for rationing in event of pandemic/disaster. So following that example
prepare!
I don't believe you will get an argument about that, on this forum. But then...they argue about everything.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I don't believe you will get an argument about that, on this forum. But then...they argue about everything.

nah, the feds bought that amount of survival food for themselves and not the people.

what they say about the food supply is that the country is 9 meals from anarchy. most people keep at least that much, and some of us keep much more than what the feds have planned for.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:41 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nah, the feds bought that amount of survival food for themselves and not the people.

what they say about the food supply is that the country is 9 meals from anarchy. most people keep at least that much, and some of us keep much more than what the feds have planned for.
Some of us should stock up on a lot of medication too. This whole "feds conspiracy" is starting to sound a bit, well, like it would require an exam and a prescription

I am all for self-sufficiency but the crap spread around is just becoming too much.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Some of us should stock up on a lot of medication too. This whole "feds conspiracy" is starting to sound a bit, well, like it would require an exam and a prescription

I am all for self-sufficiency but the crap spread around is just becoming too much.

I have 3 year supply of the medicine I need, and as I use it I replace it with newer medicine.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:43 PM

335 posts, read 409,804 times
The status of food supply is possibly contingent on whether it can be delivered to
we who lack self sufficency, post catastrophic events ie, earthquakes, EMP grid dis-
aster, drought etc. (whatever doomsday you enjoy). There are pockets in this coun-
try that are more dependent than others (NYC for example has a 24 hour food supply
whereas our rural prep. is projected for 3 months ( we are shooting for 9 months, but
need moe Seychelle water filters snd 2500 meals (1500 cals per day) We have four of us but want extra for potentially unprepared starving neighbors.

Last edited by Inattentive; 09-09-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
What food supply? Oh you mean the chemically altered crap that warrants curing by more chemical crap in form of medication? Yeah, good luck with that

Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
All stores only have a 3-day food supply where we just moved to... Was told by many people here that we need to stock up for at least a few weeks of food, because food disruptions happen here often enough. Even the Wal-Mart has a per person 3-day emergency food supply "tub". It is too expensive, as I can build a kit a whole lot cheaper on my own, but interesting that this is the only place I have seen that.

A lot of things are tough to stock up on unless you freeze them (and even then), because somehow things "expire" now sooner that I remember years ago. (Like soda, why does that now expire and taste HORRIFIC after the expiration date) Meds included...

We have learned that we definitely need to keep at least a 90-day supply of meds. As much as we can get under current insurance and dispensing rules.

Lots of people here hunt/fish and grow their own food when they can...

Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 PM

150 posts, read 173,672 times
I'm concerned about alot of things, but, in general, food supply in North America is not one of them, at least at present.

North America has plenty of food per capita. We have so much food, in fact, that most of our people are overweight and obese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness