Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:52 AM

7 posts, read 20,695 times

Advertisements

A belated Merry Christmas to all of you! My wife and I are planning on an early retirement in NM. I've had a vegi garden as a hobby for the last few years and would like to continue this in NM, too. We are looking at moving to the ABQ / SF / Taos / Las Vegas area - does anybody have experience with growing vegetables / fruit in these areas? Any input (also regarding books etc. on this topic) is highly welcome! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 24,370 times
If the area you are looking at is above 6500', there is a good book called "growing food in the southwest mountains" by Lisa Rayner, Also the Sunset "Western Garden book" could be helpful.
I've also been looking into being as Self-sufficient as possible when I make my move to NM. From what I have read, it seems that growing food will be a little more of a challenge, but do-able.

Good Luck
Eary

Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 20,695 times
Thanks, Eary, will definitely check them out! Do let me know if you should find more info - will of course do the same. A Happy New Year to you!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
murenberg, eager to farm his caliche, asked for:

> ... experience with growing ... regarding books etc. on this topic ...

You could take a look at:
Down To Earth: A Gardener's Guide to the Albuquerque Area.
Published by Albuquerque Area Extension Master Gardeners.

It's a plastic ring-bound book that has detail out the wa-zoo.

It goes into soil types, elevations, microlimates and covers everything from the West Mesa to the East Mountains and all places in between.

You've got calendars, things that like to grow here, things that you can *make* grow here, etc.

You can get it here:
Albuquerque Garden Center (505) 296-6020
10120 Lomas Blvd NE Albuquerque, NM

If you can't go nuts with this book, you're doomed.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:06 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Gardening is not unusual in New Mexico. Whilst I lived in Taos, I often went to our local nursery, and found that although I was an East coast Zone 5/6 gardener many plants, herbs and vegetables can and do grow in NM. Watering is the single biggest issue. During some of the droughts we had restrictions on how often we could water, and occasionally I had some limp branches, and flower faces.

Good luck and check out some of the nurseries as well as books folks have recommended for additional info.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 AM

140 posts, read 475,161 times
My Wife and i are looking to move to NM and also Farm a little, you know land with water is getting so costly, perhaps we should form a Co-op Farm with water running through it - there are so many possibilities in doing this- like sharing equipment, it would be a much stronger situation with a group of similar goal people. We have been growing Organic methods for 3yrs at this location, and my Father was an Organic Farmer as well. Its perhaps a new thread to start. Best Wishes, AJ and Denise

Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
murenberg, In preparing for my own move to New Mexico, I have been studying about xeriscaping and gardening and I have greatly benefitted from two books by Judith Phillips: Natural By Design and The New Mexico Gardeners Guide. (My cousin in ABQ called her books the bibles for NM gardening.) These books are about flower gardening, bushes and landscaping, etc. but perhaps you could research Judith Phillips and see if she has written anything about vegetable gardening.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 PM

5 posts, read 24,370 times
Greenmon,
I'm not sure exactly how a Co-op works, but if you want to start another thread on the subject I'd be willing to check it out. I personally would like to discuss with others their ideas and knowledge about living a more self-sufficient lifestyle in New Mexico. I don't have a lot of first hand experience, but I've been doing a lot of reading and planing.

Have a happy New Year
Eary

Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
People have been gardening in NM for a several milinnea with varied sucess. My guess would be that the actual location and microclimate is just as important as water for qa sucessfull garden.

I am in the planning stage of a combined heat and power system for off the grid use. contact me for details.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 AM

140 posts, read 475,161 times
I imagine catching Rainwater is very important to crop or garden production, and for drinking , unless you are lucky enough to have running water close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness