Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How concerned are you about an ebola outbreak?
It's all hype like the "summer of the shark". 13 9.29%
I'm paying attention, but not really concerned. 67 47.86%
I'm not actively doing anything, but I'm running scenarios in my head thinking it may get worse. 47 33.57%
I'm actively making plans and getting supplies. This is a real threat. 9 6.43%
Extremely concerned. I have plans and supplies in place and monitoring the news in order to limit/cut off contact with others. 4 2.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

How concerned are you about an ebola pandemic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 AM

I'm paying attention but not worried.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:37 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I'm not concerned at all because I don't play with people's body fluids. I am very concerned and afraid of the Enterovirus.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 AM

560 posts, read 599,571 times
none.

A pandemia of ebola is pretty much impossible. It doesn't transmit through air, only through body fluids, which in first world countries the basic hygiene methods should be enoguh to ocntain. Additionally, the big mortality rate and the speed it kills a person assures that widespread is a very remote possibility.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
But it can change as to be air transmission as we have seen in past.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
I am paying attention also, I sometimes work with visitors from the affected regions but am not going to panic or change my routine. Will follow the same procedures I do during flu season.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I'm at my survival retreat. I limit my contact with people as much as I can and have been doing it for years. I wonder how many acre feet of bodily fluids are exchanged yearly in big cities. Buses, subways, elevators, moving picture shows, taverns, and all similar places are ideal for spreading the disease. Oh yes, think of the environment on airliners.

The ideal population for this country is beteen forty and fifty million. The Irish potato famine reduced the population of Ireland by over 50%. However, disease should be able to accomplish far more in urban warrens.

Check your supplies and stay holed up; you'll live longer.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
none.

A pandemia of ebola is pretty much impossible. It doesn't transmit through air, only through body fluids, which in first world countries the basic hygiene methods should be enoguh to ocntain. Additionally, the big mortality rate and the speed it kills a person assures that widespread is a very remote possibility.
Here is a piece from the Center Of Infectious Research And Policy (CIDRAP) which was written by Lisa Brossuea, ScD and Rahael Jones, PhD, which CIDRAP refers to as "national experts on respiratory protection and infectious disease transmission".

COMMENTARY: Health workers need optimal respiratory protection for Ebola | CIDRAP

Quote:
We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks.
Additionally, when the CDC has their people wearing these when around ebola patients, it makes me wonder.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How concerned are you about an ebola pandemic?
Love that you didn't say the words afraid of, fear, or worried!
Concern is an excellent word.

What a great virus that it is not transmitted thru the air!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:12 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm not concerned at all because I don't play with people's body fluids. I am very concerned and afraid of the Enterovirus.
The Reston strain was proven to be transmitted by air from pigs to monkeys, I believe. The problem is that ebola never had the opportunity to thrive on so many subjects. The virus is pretty good at mutating, the advantage has been that every time it jumped to people, the contagions had been contained after a few individuals fell ill, hence no real opportunity for the virus to mutate. This time, however, it has thousands of victims with no visible end in sight, hence the possibility of mutating into a strain that is airborne is real. I am not an epidemiologist so I cannot quantify this chance but it does exist.

Hence, I am definitely watching, I am also ordering extra supplies (like rice, beans etc.) and storing more water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness