Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 06:13 PM

245 posts, read 304,427 times

Advertisements

or even a bolt action? If an autoloader had a failure to feed or failure to eject once every 4 shots, it would still be as "fast" for 5 hits as a bolt action and be many times faster than the single shot.

I know that many men 'think" that they never miss, animals "cant' move as they fire, the wind can't change, etc, but sometimes animals don't stop with just one hit, sometimes there's more than one critter (or man) that offers (or requires) shooting, etc. The military style autoloaders are quite reliable, robust and durable, guys, and they offer many advantages (besides shooting the GI rd and rapidfire).

They have threaded muzzles, for the attachement of silencers or flashhiders. Without a flashhider, your own shot will destroy your night adapted vision for several minutes. This is a major reason to not consider the 12 ga to be a "night stand gun".

The military autos have (or can be had with) chromed bores and chambers, so that corrosion is not much of a hazard at all. They have dark, rust resistant finishes. They can be had with luminous night sights. The better ones (ie, AR15) can be had with ambidextrous safeties, folding and/or telescoping stocks (for concealment or for adjusting to your body armor, or for teaching a woman or novice who's smaller than you).

The AR has a trapezoidial interior in its carrying handle, so that a scope returns to zero when demounted and remounted. They can be had with removable carrying handles, optical sights, nightscopes, lasers, flashlights., and with "see thru" scope mounts, so that the iron sights are always an instantly available option.

The AR can be had with a free float tube, so that the QD, very lightweight GI bipod (or sling) won't alter the bullet's point of impact (POA) on the target. They can be had in a variety of barrel lengths, 7" to 26" (at least) and 1 in 14" to 1 in 6.5" rifling twist, to suit your fancy. You can have 7/8" thick "bull" barrels, or really lw "pencil' barrels. the basic gun can be as light as 4 lbs (carbon fiber). You can swap upper reciever groups (with sights, barrel, etc) in less than 10 seconds.

You can swap calibers, from .22lr to 458 Socomm, have a starling shooter or a 1000 yd match/sniper gun, just that quick. The Ciener firarms unit for the AR15 223, (30 rd box mag) is $200, weighs just 3/4 lb. Its accuracy will be sub 2" groups at 50 yds, and the caliber-swap takes just 20 seconds.

You can break down an AR (for concealment in your pack, etc) in 5 seconds, re-assemble it to fire in 10 seconds. Just leave the rd chambered and leave the mag in the lower, that's all.

The AR can be had as a stripped lower receiver, $150, and buy all the other parts in the mail, as you get the money for them. The AR can be had as a ($150 or less) "80% finished" paperweight, no FFL required, in the mail and a $60 bench mounted drill press (from Harbor Freigt tools) will suffice to convert it into a working autorifle that nobody knows you have. The rest of the parts run about $450, bought as a kit from Model One Sales.

There is no reason to settle for (or risk carrying) nothing more than a single shot, o/u combo gun, bolt action muzzle loader, etc. For a very few hundred more $, you can have 10x as good a rifle. You aint got a crystal ball to tell you when you might need range or power or rapidfire. The looters won't wait while you go trade your single shot for your AK. Savage has a $400 O/U available in 20 ga/22lr, so at the least, don't pay $1000+ for a pos Spld M6 scout. :-)

Last edited by garvan; 10-07-2014 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 06:22 PM

There's virtually no place left in the lower 48 states where having a longarm will make any difference in your survival. Much less weight and bulk, in the form of a rented satellite phone ($100 deposit and $20 a week suffices) if you have some problem in the back country! :-) A pocket autopistol will be far more help if you need a gun for defense(than any single shot).

I have favored a pocket gun for over 30 years now, preferably one with a .22lr conversion unit. In the back country, I carry a pair of them, one is set up as the rimfire, one as a centerfire. Typically, the weight of both guns is sub 2 lbs, and the pair are a lot more versatile than any .357 revolver ever thought of being. Check out Twisted Industries for their .22 unit for the LC9 Ruger and Keltec PF9. Sig has a .22 unit for their P938 pocket 9mm, too.

You don't need food (other than psychologially) for at least 3 days of hard pushing, or for more than 3 weeks of just lying around. If you are sick or hurt, how is a longarm going to help you hunt? You'd be way ahead with the same weight/bulk (as the longarm) in the form of trotlines, gill nets, snares, steel traps, fish poison, etc. This is true because such things can work in 20+ places at once, 24-7, and you cannot. They are silent, and can be "serviced" at night, too, if hostiles are about.

At night, almost no place is left in the lower 48, where you can't climb the tallest thing around, and see lights. Mark the direction of those lights, and next day, walk towards them. They'll be at most 30 miles away, which you can cover (even on pretty bad terrain and conditions) in 3 days. If you can't move, just maintain a smoky fire during the day. Within 3-4 days, somebody will come to check out that fire, and there's your rescue.

So don't waste your time and money on muzzleloaders, single shots, O/U combo guns, bolt acitons, etc, if survival is your purpose. Nearly always, your EDC pocket gun will suffice. If it won't, your real fighting autorifle won't be too much gun. :-) Don't settle for some half-arsed in-between sort of gun.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 PM

107 posts, read 157,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
There's virtually no place left in the lower 48 states where having a longarm will make any difference in your survival. Much less weight and bulk, in the form of a rented satellite phone ($100 deposit and $20 a week suffices) if you have some problem in the back country! :-) A pocket autopistol will be far more help if you need a gun for defense(than any single shot).

I have favored a pocket gun for over 30 years now, preferably one with a .22lr conversion unit. In the back country, I carry a pair of them, one is set up as the rimfire, one as a centerfire. Typically, the weight of both guns is sub 2 lbs, and the pair are a lot more versatile than any .357 revolver ever thought of being. Check out Twisted Industries for their .22 unit for the LC9 Ruger and Keltec PF9. Sig has a .22 unit for their P938 pocket 9mm, too.

You don't need food (other than psychologially) for at least 3 days of hard pushing, or for more than 3 weeks of just lying around. If you are sick or hurt, how is a longarm going to help you hunt? You'd be way ahead with the same weight/bulk (as the longarm) in the form of trotlines, gill nets, snares, steel traps, fish poison, etc. This is true because such things can work in 20+ places at once, 24-7, and you cannot. They are silent, and can be "serviced" at night, too, if hostiles are about.

At night, almost no place is left in the lower 48, where you can't climb the tallest thing around, and see lights. Mark the direction of those lights, and next day, walk towards them. They'll be at most 30 miles away, which you can cover (even on pretty bad terrain and conditions) in 3 days. If you can't move, just maintain a smoky fire during the day. Within 3-4 days, somebody will come to check out that fire, and there's your rescue.

So don't waste your time and money on muzzleloaders, single shots, O/U combo guns, bolt acitons, etc, if survival is your purpose. Nearly always, your EDC pocket gun will suffice. If it won't, your real fighting autorifle won't be too much gun. :-) Don't settle for some half-arsed in-between sort of gun.

Yeah go to the boonies in Arizona and try climbing the tallest mountain you know what you would get?
STUCK ON A MOUNTAIN!
I'm sure it's that way in many states. No cell phone reception nothing but a "pocket gun" that won't even kill a rattlesnake.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM

107 posts, read 157,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
or even a bolt action? If an autoloader had a failure to feed or failure to eject once every 4 shots, it would still be as "fast" for 5 hits as a bolt action and be many times faster than the single shot.

I know that many men 'think" that they never miss, animals "cant' move as they fire, the wind can't change, etc, but sometimes animals don't stop with just one hit, sometimes there's more than one critter (or man) that offers (or requires) shooting, etc. The military style autoloaders are quite reliable, robust and durable, guys, and they offer many advantages (besides shooting the GI rd and rapidfire).

They have threaded muzzles, for the attachement of silencers or flashhiders. Without a flashhider, your own shot will destroy your night adapted vision for several minutes. This is a major reason to not consider the 12 ga to be a "night stand gun".

The military autos have (or can be had with) chromed bores and chambers, so that corrosion is not much of a hazard at all. They have dark, rust resistant finishes. They can be had with luminous night sights. The better ones (ie, AR15) can be had with ambidextrous safeties, folding and/or telescoping stocks (for concealment or for adjusting to your body armor, or for teaching a woman or novice who's smaller than you).

The AR has a trapezoidial interior in its carrying handle, so that a scope returns to zero when demounted and remounted. They can be had with removable carrying handles, optical sights, nightscopes, lasers, flashlights., and with "see thru" scope mounts, so that the iron sights are always an instantly available option.

The AR can be had with a free float tube, so that the QD, very lightweight GI bipod (or sling) won't alter the bullet's point of impact (POA) on the target. They can be had in a variety of barrel lengths, 7" to 26" (at least) and 1 in 14" to 1 in 6.5" rifling twist, to suit your fancy. You can have 7/8" thick "bull" barrels, or really lw "pencil' barrels. the basic gun can be as light as 4 lbs (carbon fiber). You can swap upper reciever groups (with sights, barrel, etc) in less than 10 seconds.

You can swap calibers, from .22lr to 458 Socomm, have a starling shooter or a 1000 yd match/sniper gun, just that quick. The Ciener firarms unit for the AR15 223, (30 rd box mag) is $200, weighs just 3/4 lb. Its accuracy will be sub 2" groups at 50 yds, and the caliber-swap takes just 20 seconds.

You can break down an AR (for concealment in your pack, etc) in 5 seconds, re-assemble it to fire in 10 seconds. Just leave the rd chambered and leave the mag in the lower, that's all.

The AR can be had as a stripped lower receiver, $150, and buy all the other parts in the mail, as you get the money for them. The AR can be had as a ($150 or less) "80% finished" paperweight, no FFL required, in the mail and a $60 bench mounted drill press (from Harbor Freigt tools) will suffice to convert it into a working autorifle that nobody knows you have. The rest of the parts run about $450, bought as a kit from Model One Sales.

There is no reason to settle for (or risk carrying) nothing more than a single shot, o/u combo gun, bolt action muzzle loader, etc. For a very few hundred more $, you can have 10x as good a rifle. You aint got a crystal ball to tell you when you might need range or power or rapidfire. The looters won't wait while you go trade your single shot for your AK. Savage has a $400 O/U available in 20 ga/22lr, so at the least, don't pay $1000+ for a pos Spld M6 scout. :-)

ARs and other rifles are considered "assault rifles" (yeah I know it's dumb) and thus illegal to own in some states. They catch you with one you might not only lose your rifle but end up in jail. That's just one reason I'm sure that people like simple reliable single shots. Also keep in mind the issue of cost and weight.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:16 PM

you can't read, eh? satellite phone for the mountains, I said. And if you think that a 9mm can't kill a snake, how about you hold a bucketful of them up in front if you, and I'll fire ONE shot at it. Since it won't even kill ONE, you'll be perfectly safe, so let's show the world how much you know about guns.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:18 PM

many single shots weigh more than the Carbon Fiber variant of the AR, and idiots are paying more for M6's than AR's, too. It's ludicrous. The M6 is a pos. There are few states where the AR is illegal, and when it's for your LIFE ( you know, as in "survival") why would you give a rat's behind what's legal and what aint?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
Blah, blah, blah. Standard posts of "What I have or suggest is the greatest. Don't contest or disagree with what I say. If you do, I will personally attack you".

Not even going to discuss it with you when in your opening post, you discuss modifying it thus making it illegal to have. "no FFL required, in the mail and a $60 bench mounted drill press (from Harbor Freigt tools) will suffice to convert it into a working autorifle that nobody knows you have."

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
You go with what you are comfortable with. I have a 30-30 336 Marlin lever action and it is in the scabbard on my saddle (when we are in an open carry state like WY or NM riding) and I strap a 45 LC single action Vaquero on my hip. I do not care at all for concealed carry, I think you should not need a permit from anyone to carry a gun (as in open carry) - one of the reasons we are leaving TX as soon as we can. All the states I am looking at allow open carry.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:37 AM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
I think the best "shot" is a no shot. Every shot you waste in a survival situation is one more advertisement of you location and one less round in your ammo box. The Rambo mentality is Hollywood, plain and simple. You will not survive long as a gunslinger. There is a lot of truth to the old saying that those who live by the sword will die by the sword (rather quickly, I'd add).

The more invisible you are, the longer you live (in a survival situation). And I know this statement will be taken the wrong way by most readers (it is meant in a specific context), but here goes: the more worthless you are, the longer you live (in a survival situation).

Old 10-08-2014, 10:34 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think the best "shot" is a no shot. Every shot you waste in a survival situation is one more advertisement of you location and one less round in your ammo box. The Rambo mentality is Hollywood, plain and simple. You will not survive long as a gunslinger. There is a lot of truth to the old saying that those who live by the sword will die by the sword (rather quickly, I'd add).

The more invisible you are, the longer you live (in a survival situation). And I know this statement will be taken the wrong way by most readers (it is meant in a specific context), but here goes: the more worthless you are, the longer you live (in a survival situation).
How about, "the less value you have as a target, the longer you live (in a survival situation)? Sounds a little better.

Personally, I have very little use for black rifles. They're fun to play with, but i've never been a fan of "spray and pray", aimed fire is far more effective than pumping rounds randomly downrange, plus auto fire means you have to carry more ammunition.

I have no problem hunting with a lever action 45-70, does the job just fine. If I am trying to stay off the radar, archery tackle, slings or better yet traps don't make a lot of noise or draw attention while you get your dinner.

I have always been a fan of Sun Tzu, and one of my favorite quotes is:
If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.

In other words, don't go looking for a fight unless you have to while maximizing your resources by utilizing his weaknesses.

For the modern internet, apparently Sun Tzu has a lot of fans:

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him. and
If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness