Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,170,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
If you are going to depend strictly on rabbits, squirrels, and deer for food, you are going to starve. Without the knowledge to grow a garden, learn to can what you grow, and possibly raise some chickens an other livestock, you won't last very long. There will not be enough animals to support all the people hunting them anyway. Stop and think, this isn't the eighteen hundreds, and when we finally do have a financial collapse, everyone and his dog will be out foraging for food. Millions of people will starve because they have no knowledge of obtaining food, except that which is at their local food store. I suspect there a many people that don't know how to cook and prepare food it they had it. It will be too late to learn the government can't take care of you, you will have to fend for yourself...

I have not seen a squirrel since I got to Wyoming, probably just have not seen any.

I do have a 1.5 acre garden now and am planning on upping that to 5 acres next year and have 10 acres of sweet corn. I would like to plant winter wheat sometime, but not really sure of how to do it, as even though I know how to farm and have done it in the past, wheat is something I have not done before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,618,666 times
Well let's face it: if something happens that plunges civilization into chaos, chances are, it will not be a walk in the park for anyone. We can, however maximize our chances by making wise choices and plans. A plan to rely on living from wormy squirrel and rabbit meat is not a wise choice. But, truly, unless you are in a specific set of circumstances, relying wholly on a garden probably won't cut it either -- at least not on its own.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:50 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,431,133 times
Most people don't know how to hunt anymore. But you still need more than rabbit or squirrel. Bear's good for the fat.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most people don't know how to hunt anymore. But you still need more than rabbit or squirrel. Bear's good for the fat.

very true, but jeeze, bear is greasy as all heck unless you cook the heck out of it for a long time. can you give any ideas of how to get rid of the greasiness?

Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well let's face it: if something happens that plunges civilization into chaos, chances are, it will not be a walk in the park for anyone. We can, however maximize our chances by making wise choices and plans. A plan to rely on living from wormy squirrel and rabbit meat is not a wise choice. But, truly, unless you are in a specific set of circumstances, relying wholly on a garden probably won't cut it either -- at least not on its own.

yes Chris, it shall not be a walk in the park for anyone. but some will be doing better than the sheep of the country. one of the worries I have had, and it is also one of the reasons I left Wisconsin, I was told by the sheriff in my county that if SHTF/WROL ever happened, that they would confiscate as much food from everyone to supply the needs of the county government. because in a SHTF/WROL situation, then they would be the ultimate LEO in that county and that they can take others food and supplies to feed and supply the county government.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 AM

25,482 posts, read 18,618,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes Chris, it shall not be a walk in the park for anyone. but some will be doing better than the sheep of the country. one of the worries I have had, and it is also one of the reasons I left Wisconsin, I was told by the sheriff in my county that if SHTF/WROL ever happened, that they would confiscate as much food from everyone to supply the needs of the county government. because in a SHTF/WROL situation, then they would be the ultimate LEO in that county and that they can take others food and supplies to feed and supply the county government.
And people in this country do not believe that we live in a police state...

Old 10-14-2014, 08:00 AM

6,753 posts, read 8,541,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
very true, but jeeze, bear is greasy as all heck unless you cook the heck out of it for a long time. can you give any ideas of how to get rid of the greasiness?
Remove the visable fat and cook on a rack to allow drainage same as for a duck or goose. Or hunt for a spring bear which has a much lower fat content after hibernation than a bear that is fattened up for winter. Bear meat because of the inherent moisture makes supurb dry sausages like peperoni.

This past weekend opened Pronghorn Antelope season here, and the wife and I took 2 nice ones. Not an easy hunt, but well worth the effort for the quality of the meat. Those 2 little antelope will provide us with around 110 lbs of good fresh artificial hormone free, grass fed all natural meat. It takes effort and skill to hunt, not something you want to experiement with when you're already hungry.

The wife was griping about the fact there were cows all over the ranges we were hunting, but like I told her, people domesticated cattle and sheep and goats etc. to assure a steady meat supply because the folks that owned the cows had their winter meat on the hoof, as hunters, we still had an empty truck bed.

That's the main reason we raise our own stock too. No hunt is a guarenteed kill so meals can be few and far between if you don't have a fall back option.

And we raise rabbits too, and yes you can get what's called "rabbit starvation" if you don't have fats as well as lean protein.
Bear grease is a great choice as a fat to make up for this, but bears don't give away their fat willingly, and they have a lot of teeth and claws, so you better know what you're doing before you start something with one.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:45 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,763,198 times
You're gonna run out of rabbits and squirrels, friend.

There's a reason why hunter/gatherers were always nomadic; you just can't do it without eventually exhausting your food supply in any given area. That is a BIG problem in a world with 7 billion people; especially if they are all fighting for survival too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness