Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
You have to admit though, if something bad did happen and you had to sell your body to feed your child or watch him/her die from hunger and cold in front of you - you would wish you had some basics laid out for a few months and would feel pretty stupid too for at least not being somewhat prepared.
Selling your body isn't going to work. If there was a large-scale societal breakdown, there'd be a lot of women with the very same idea.

As to those who chastise "preppers," - well, I don't get it. Why have health insurance, car insurance or life insurance? It's to deal with a potential unpleasant future event that may never ever happen.

That's why I choose to be a prepper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 AM

893 posts, read 885,983 times
I am not a "prepper" per say but I have given all of this some thought over time.

Luckily, I've got family in a somewhat remote state in a decently remote home that can be reached in 1 tank of gas that are "preppers". We already have that plan to head there if need be.

Our kids (in college) have instructions to head there as well but 1 (only 20 miles away from us) doesn't have quite the gas tank capacity to make it there so hopefully, cell service holds up well enough to notify him we are coming to get him on our way out. The other can easily get there as she's only a few hours away.

I've been saving empty milk jugs and filling with water so I have about 8 gallons thus far. Several cases of water and some pasta and home canned veggies and we are trying to stock up with basics. We have a 22,000 gallon pool that should help as well....

Been starting to stock up on ammo a bit and currently only have a handgun and a shotgun but planning to expand my arsenal as we go forward.....Did supply the daughter with a handgun already.

Luckily we are outside of a small town but in a 30 home subdivision so I'm not sure that's a plus. And, we live along side a busy highway that is protected from view by trees.

So, overall, we have a long ways to go. I think we could certainly make it a few months but any longer might be pushing it.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:31 AM

33 posts, read 34,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I always used to think preppers were a little bit off the wall, sorry guys..
but Hurricane Sandy opened my eyes, and I really started to think about what I'd do if the food supply dried up as it did because deliveries couldn't get through, or if the electric went out for days at a time.

I don't have enough food to last for years, but I do make sure I have enough canned goods to get by for about 2 mos. I have some can's of dried milk that I have socked away just in case. I have buckets of wheat that I use and replace because I make my own flour so I can make my own bread and pasta's. I've got a hand held wheat grinder just in case the electric goes out.
I keep a stock of batteries which I replace as we use them, candles, matches and battery operated lights.
I'd have enough to keep us alive and the food would edible, but not necessarily tasty at times.

If the S really HTF there's always the creek up the block from me for water, and my inground pool, and there's plenty of deer and other critters in the woods if it ever really came down to that. We wouldn't last forever but I think we're prepared enough to last a couple of months..

I also purchased a couple of living off grid books which I can't remember the name of off hand and it's a been an interesting read and I've learned a lot of useful information.

I hope it never comes down to that, but it's good to know just in case.

I'm preparing but I'm also going on the assumption that the world will go back to normal once whatever crisis has passed.
Lauriedeee, I was the same way myself. After Hurricane Sandy, I bought myself a portable first aid kit, just in case something crazy happens. Living in the big city (NYC), I wasn't sure what food kit would be acceptable for an emergency and how many containers of water I would need? Any ideas?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
I have a swimming pool that I can boil water from. Ive never had to top it off, instead I have to drain it occasionally because of the rain. So Im covered on the most CRUCIAL of the body's needs. There are woods bordering my neighborhood that I can get firewood from. The food part will be the hardest as I haven't thought this one out. I suppose I could be on the safe said and stock up on canned food.

A rush on food supplies would actually be a problem for many right now because were approaching winter so you cant just go plant a bunch of food crops.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbush260 View Post
Lauriedeee, I was the same way myself. After Hurricane Sandy, I bought myself a portable first aid kit, just in case something crazy happens. Living in the big city (NYC), I wasn't sure what food kit would be acceptable for an emergency and how many containers of water I would need? Any ideas?
hey flatbush! It's nice to see a 'neighbor'...

I have no idea how much water to keep on hand. I buy bottled water which we drink throughout the week so I really don't have any for emergencies on hand. IF there's a storm coming, I buy a lot of it.

There are really a lot of food kits available from different places. Walmarts sells the Auguson Farm brand 30 day kit for like $100. bucks and it's got a shelf life of 25yrs. Yeah, I know everybody hate's Walmart.. but, that's pretty cheap considering what you get and it looks tasty.
I don't know how much it is on the Augason Farms website. For all I know it may be cheaper. I'm sure Amazon has them too.

I'm really tempted to get it and hide it away just in case..... My husband would probably freak if he saw it though.

Purchase the Augson Farms Easy-To-Prepare Food pail for 30 Days at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:43 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
I am not a "prepper" per say but I have given all of this some thought over time.

Luckily, I've got family in a somewhat remote state in a decently remote home that can be reached in 1 tank of gas that are "preppers". We already have that plan to head there if need be.

Our kids (in college) have instructions to head there as well but 1 (only 20 miles away from us) doesn't have quite the gas tank capacity to make it there so hopefully, cell service holds up well enough to notify him we are coming to get him on our way out. The other can easily get there as she's only a few hours away.

I've been saving empty milk jugs and filling with water so I have about 8 gallons thus far. Several cases of water and some pasta and home canned veggies and we are trying to stock up with basics. We have a 22,000 gallon pool that should help as well....

Been starting to stock up on ammo a bit and currently only have a handgun and a shotgun but planning to expand my arsenal as we go forward.....Did supply the daughter with a handgun already.

Luckily we are outside of a small town but in a 30 home subdivision so I'm not sure that's a plus. And, we live along side a busy highway that is protected from view by trees.

So, overall, we have a long ways to go. I think we could certainly make it a few months but any longer might be pushing it.
Sounds like you are off to a great start

One thing though, be sure your relatives are OK with this, don't just show up on their doorstep. You might even work with them to have some supplies in place so you support yourself and aren't a drag on what they have.
Store a few of your buckets of supplies there, and you won't need their supplies. Makes it a lot easier to get through the gate if there is a major emergency

If you are in New York State, a good shotgun with slugs and 00 buck will work for hunting and defense. You probably won't be taking 500 yard shots anyway, and a good slug barrel will put the slug on target out to about 150 yards, so in your case I would see a rifle as an unnecessary expense. Get a second good Shotgun instead, or more ammunition.

As to water, figure at least a gallon per day for drinking/personal hygene. Grey water used for washing can be saved to flush a toilet. Waste can be contained in a "honey bucket" with a good trash can liner to save water as it usually takes at least 3 gallons to flush a low flow toilet. Plus, if it's a flood that's your disaster, the sewer system may be overloaded anyway.

Having a good bug out location already in place with supplies of food, water, clothing, sleeping bags and other necessities could really be a lifesaver in a crisis.

But always practice OP-SEC, (operational security). If nobody knows you have food or water stored, nobody will attack you to get it. If you have a safe place to evacuate to, just go there and don't tell anybody where it is or they will be showing up on your doorstep too.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
It would be a stretch right now, I scaled back to two weeks supply, but I am laying stuff in with a vengeance for winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I always used to think preppers were a little bit off the wall, sorry guys..
but Hurricane Sandy opened my eyes, and I really started to think about what I'd do if the food supply dried up as it did because deliveries couldn't get through, or if the electric went out for days at a time.

I don't have enough food to last for years, but I do make sure I have enough canned goods to get by for about 2 mos. I have some can's of dried milk that I have socked away just in case. I have buckets of wheat that I use and replace because I make my own flour so I can make my own bread and pasta's. I've got a hand held wheat grinder just in case the electric goes out.
I keep a stock of batteries which I replace as we use them, candles, matches and battery operated lights.
I'd have enough to keep us alive and the food would edible, but not necessarily tasty at times.

If the S really HTF there's always the creek up the block from me for water, and my inground pool, and there's plenty of deer and other critters in the woods if it ever really came down to that. We wouldn't last forever but I think we're prepared enough to last a couple of months..

I also purchased a couple of living off grid books which I can't remember the name of off hand and it's a been an interesting read and I've learned a lot of useful information.

I hope it never comes down to that, but it's good to know just in case.

I'm preparing but I'm also going on the assumption that the world will go back to normal once whatever crisis has passed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
You have to admit though, if something bad did happen and you had to sell your body to feed your child or watch him/her die from hunger and cold in front of you - you would wish you had some basics laid out for a few months and would feel pretty stupid too for at least not being somewhat prepared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Yes, if not for yourself, preparations for your children must be made to insure the best chances for their survival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Selling your body isn't going to work. If there was a large-scale societal breakdown, there'd be a lot of women with the very same idea.

As to those who chastise "preppers," - well, I don't get it. Why have health insurance, car insurance or life insurance? It's to deal with a potential unpleasant future event that may never ever happen.

That's why I choose to be a prepper.
I have never read or heard anyone say, ''I regret that I was prepared.''

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-15-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
^^^ Yep, better to have and not need then need and not have.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I posed this question to a new friend yesterday, could you survive 30 days if you were forced to stay inside because of ebola. He said he lived through a hurricane were the red cross had to come in and pass out supplies so that was his experience. I said but what if it hit the entire country like Ebola could? and he said that he would hope the Gov. would give a few days notice so he could stock up. I'm beginning to suspect he votes Democrat ..LOL
I pointed out that chances are the Gov. wouldn't help because they would be looking out for their own families. he then said he would be screwed.
There is nothing wrong with being prepared.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
We have a lot more than just 30-days worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness