Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,371 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried to dry greens such as collards, mustard greens, turnip greens? I am going to try just to see how they will taste. I plan on washing the leaves, then threading thru the stems and hanging them from a line on my porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 PM

225 posts, read 394,824 times
I have dried them and they come out just fine. However I use a dehydrator. My greens tend to end up in soups, smoothies or cooked with smoked meat so they would have been cut up in any event. Unless you need whole leaves I just cut them up, wash them a few times, run them through a salad spinner and then place them in the machine. Since I really do not care how crushed up they get I also place them in vacuum bags.

If you want the greens whole in order to stuff them then you have to be really gentle with them once dry since they are very fragile and quite frankly a hassle to handle. Better to just get fresh IMO.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:30 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Last spring I took a tour of a century+ community garden at a Shaker village, where I was introduced to lovage.

Then I tried to get some for my garden. But by then it was too late into the season. So now lovage is top on my list of new crops to try.

It is said to be a pot-herb that you can harvest all winter long. It grows as a hedge, if not trimmed it can grow 8 foot tall. A planting can be grow and be harvested from for many decades.

Pot-herbs are greens that can be diced and introduced into stews, to blend flavors and reduce bitterness of foraged greens.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 PM

240 posts, read 252,046 times
The only experience I have is with spearmint and peppermint. I cut the stalks from my garden, tie the ends together to form bunches, and then hang the bunches upside down until all the leave are dried out. I don't see why that wouldn't work with other leafy things.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:49 AM

22 posts, read 19,540 times
Can't you just put them in water to get them to be kind of moist again? I mean with dry chilly peppers you can just put them in water and they become softer and easier to eat.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Experiment started

I am removing the main vein from the leaf and stringing the remaining pieces of the leaf on a cord separated by knots. When the leaf pieces are thoroughly dry, I will soak in water and cook. I will let you know how it turns out!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:39 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,542 times
You could probably grow greens year round in the southern half of the country with a good cold frame up against the south side foundation of the house, an insulated night cover and straw bale insulation around the unit but that is another topic....

Old 12-07-2014, 12:03 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Another way to preserve them for winter use might be by canning. Somewhat similar to canned spinach, I'd expect.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Default Canning greens

I usually can grow some greens all winter here in southern Louisiana. Just pile on the mulch, plus cover for freezing weather. I do can the excess. I like the texture of collards best, but I have canned tendergreens, mustard greens, collards, turnip greens and spinach. By the way, when canning turnips, I plant a row of turnip greens that are grown for the tops. They don't produce a good root. That way, I can (or freeze) turnip tops with the chopped turnip roots.

I am interested in drying just to have a 3rd way of preserving winter greens.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 AM

Mustard greens did not dry well. They crumbled too easily. Still working on the collards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness