Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,431 times

Advertisements

Here is a incomplete list of outcomes if the electrical transformers are knocked out by an atmospheric nuclear blast above the US or by a solar flare . This could impact the US or globally in either case a congressional study places the loss of life in the millions and upwards to 90% death rate within the first year! We get our replacement grid parts fro m Germany and other countries making repair s moot point. The following
is a list of lost services and life support ,but before listing put
FEMA, RED CROSS, LAW ENFORCEMENT out of the picture as
nonexistant! I realize many believe death is an option ....go for it.
Water pumps down including generators on dams
Car / truck/train/bus/aircraft / subway computer down
All stores power doors ,refrigeration, lights out
Hospitals power out unless glass generators ( gas pumps down)
Unstaffed nursing/ ACLF ( no power ) staff grid locked on all
roads
No cell phones,land lines ,TV, radio (use emergency batt. radio)
Police, emergency vehicles , power co. all down and grid locked
No food ,no water ,no communication ,no lights no services.
Body removal ( millions) hand shovel only all front end loaders
down
No toilet flushing/paper,no sump pumps ,no air , heat no hot water
No medications availability
No ice , no metro wood, no gas no fuel no 1500 calories per day
Marshall Law, looting , chaos, murder, starvation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 03:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,513,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Marshall Law, looting , chaos, murder, starvation...
Um, that would be "Martial Law." Same pronunciation, different meaning entirely.

I mean, really...

martial law legal definition of martial law

Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Gas pumps being down does not mean an inability to get gas.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Agreed.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,877,431 times
Martial Law can be actually have constraints IF local militias collaborate with local law enforcement and have a buddy plan. Also I have purchase 3000 meals so if we witness people who are in need of food we can help. We will purchase an additional 3000 meals soon ( 15-18 year shelf ). A fueless generator w/solar will help . This isn't rocket science I bought a solar shower at Goodwill ....please.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:27 AM

As a disaster response worker I've had experience with martial law, along the Gulf Coast in the immediate aftermath of major hurricanes such as Camille, Frederic, etc. If well-handled and -managed, it can be quite the good thing.

During one such event, the National Guardsmen were told to handle a running suspect by shouting "Halt!" If the suspect didn't stop, they were to fire two warning shots. If the suspect still didn't stop they were cleared to shoot. This was widely circulated via the local media.

One young National Guardsman came across a burglary in process. He and his partner were spotted, and the suspect took off running. Flustered, the Guardsman reacted. BANG-BANG! "HALT!" The suspect cried out "O Jesus, don't shoot!" and fell to the ground on his knees with his hands in the air.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
... Water pumps down including generators on dams
The large spike coming from transmission lines should fry sub-stations, not the generators inside hydro dams.

Quote:
... All stores power doors ,refrigeration, lights out
Some stores operate their own back-up generators, and some do not.

Quote:
... Hospitals power out unless glass generators ( gas pumps down)
Where I live, there are laws requiring that hospitals have their own independent generators. Plus there are laws here that require utility companies to give first priority to hospitals.

Quote:
... No food, no water,
EMPs and solar flares do not destroy food or water.

If you have food, you will still have food.

My water comes from my well. EMPs and solar flares do not disrupt water in the ground.

Quote:
... all front end loaders down
You are assuming that these loaders are 'all' electronic ignition. Mine does not have electronic ignition.

Quote:
... No toilet flushing
Toilet flushing is dependent on water flow. Some cities use water reservoirs that are located up-hill, so there is no pumping required.

Quote:
... no air, heat, no hot water
EMP and solar flares do not stop air from existing. We will still have air.

I heat my home with wood, we will still have wood.

I mentioned the water thing previously.

Quote:
... No ice , no metro wood, no gas no fuel no 1500 calories per day
Marshall Law, looting , chaos, murder, starvation,
Sounds rather exciting. I would hate to live in a city when that happened.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I agree. However we have observed that the gas station chains in this area refuse to install backup generators, as a feature of corporate policy.

In my town we tend to lose grid power 2 to 3 times every month, usually for only an hour or maybe half a day. During Christmas week we lost power for 3 1/2 days, and here 2 weeks ago we lost power for 4 days. On a rare occasion we may go an entire month and only lose power once. All gas stations around here are shutdown entirely when the power is out. Again, it is not 'impossible', but the corporate HQs refuse to install generators.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM

297 posts, read 358,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Sounds rather exciting. I would hate to live in a city when that happened.
Hahahaha. Submariner, I love your posts. I bet it would take you a week to realize the worlds gone nuts. And only then because you went into town to sell food!!

This guys seems a bit of an alarmist ya?
And in terms of food storage, there are dozens of ways to get food and preserve food. Basic human ingenuity doesnt die, just a lot of electronics.

Pretty much every hospital out here has generator backups as well.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
Hahahaha. Submariner, I love your posts. I bet it would take you a week to realize the worlds gone nuts. And only then because you went into town to sell food!!
I go online everyday. So I must assume that I would get some hint of what was happening. Not from the mere power-outage, that happens so frequently here in the USA. But from the news on the WWW.

I would love to live in a nation where the grid was up every day of the month.

Quote:
... This guys seems a bit of an alarmist ya?
Yes, I think so.

Quote:
... And in terms of food storage, there are dozens of ways to get food and preserve food. Basic human ingenuity doesnt die, just a lot of electronics.

Pretty much every hospital out here has generator backups as well.
I spent a good deal of today processing through last fall's elderberry harvest. I will likely be doing more tomorrow.

While much of the nation is located in drought-prone regions anyone who has left those regions should be okay. [in terms of producing their own food, and assuming they get into the habit now].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness