Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think you need a therapist more than defense protection. I've had my home invaded and I'm not nearly as paranoid as you are. My advice, as a victim, would be: hire a reputable company to secure your home and then seek some help to address your obsession about being a target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
1) Install real security doors front and rear. Bar the windows so that they are secure but allow unlatching.

2) Find a politically connected attorney, get the necessary permits, and buy guns. You can get a concealed carry permit.

3) Build a safe room with reliable telephone servive and ventilation. Bank vaults from closed branches are often for sale. Just buy a new door.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,071,779 times
NYC issues permits for shotguns and rifles.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
NYC issues permits for shotguns and rifles.
And handguns. Perform a search.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:36 PM

943 posts, read 1,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Get a dog.

Also, if you have an alarm system, the company sends people through the neighborhoods they service in the wee hours of the night, patrolling. Do you have stickers on the windows from your alarm company? On the other hand, if you feel there are people out to target you and do you harm, you should relocate. Your current location doesn't sound like a very secure one.
I have a small dog. He is quite old. He barks when he notices something, however he's incapable of really attacking anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, to repeat this question: Why don't you move???

If this nonsense has been going on for 6 years and you are "affluent", you should seriously consider relocating. If there is some reason why you cannot at this time, you might be well-advised to temporarily move to a place where you are not known to reside (even a motel), and to place all valuables and "Christmas" items in a self-storage unit protected by CCTV. At your residence, put lights and TV, radios, etc on a timer. Also consider hiring a private security firm to patrol your grounds during the hours when you suspect you are most vulnerable. At any rate, remove yourself and your valuables from the premises if you feel in danger.

I cannot recommend that you use knives, hammers, and other household objects against an intruder. That is what firearms are best for. Very likely your invaders will get those weapons away from you, and use them against you. I understand the NYC mandate against firearms, but private firms are licensed to handle them, and if you live in Manhattan, you should be able to afford some protection. Asking at a CD forum is silly and ineffective. Consult your attorney if you feel this threatened. At the very least, remove yourself and your family from those premises, and start actively looking for another home.
This is my family's house, and they wouldn't be willing to move because:

A) They are disabled.
B) They've put too much time and energy into this house/emotional attachment.
C) I am confident they wouldn't leave this house as their primary residence.

I am going to have an alarm system installed this week.

I lived on my own for a period of time, however that doesn't stop the house from being a target while I am not present. Even if I move, my family aren't. And they shouldn't have to.

Last edited by Anonymous725; 11-29-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 06:43 PM

943 posts, read 1,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Honestly, I think you need a therapist more than defense protection. I've had my home invaded and I'm not nearly as paranoid as you are. My advice, as a victim, would be: hire a reputable company to secure your home and then seek some help to address your obsession about being a target.
I don't like your condescending tone.

I am normally very laxed, but I've had numerous friends tell me that I should be more cautious and concerned about defense protection.

My friend in Illinois had their dog poisoned, and it is assumed that whoever paid for that to happen is the same person who incessantly harasses me.

When it comes to safety, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather be paranoid than absent-minded.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:55 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,060,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Video surveillance and alarms do not stop a home invasion. Nether does pepper spray if their are multiple invaders. Securing the home to make it impenetrable and lethal force are the only ways to stop an attack from multiple bad guys. Lethal force is not a baseball bat, or a knife, it is only a firearm.

Even a handgun in reality is insufficient against an attacker. While handguns do a decent job, there's a reason why we carry rifles in combat.

Ideally, you would want stand off and early warning. A handgun really doesn't give you much stand off. A dog (or two) combined with some good basic security measures as lighting and good locks will give you early warning.

Do you have a room you could fall back to if an invasion happened?

Is there an area in your home where you could hole up and create a "fatal funnel" the attackers have to pass through in order to get to you? You can do a search for fatal funnel.

Sucks for NYC gun laws as it really only punishes those who are law abiding.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,417,362 times
Why not consult a professional security firm? I'm sure there has to be someone in the NYC area that can come up with a strategy that will address your concerns.

I'm not an expert, but I would have to see the layout of the house with access points, threat concerns, number of people in the house as well as their physical abilities, property in the house that might be a target, law enforcement response time to the dwelling....all sorts of information that doesn't need to be listed on the internet in any form. You listed various security measures for your yard and doorways, but you said you live in a brownstone style structure; is there an access point from the roof? I may not be able to approach your house, but that doesn't mean I can't access it from your neighbor's house.

The amateur burglar is readily thwarted by devices that cost time and exposure more than anything else; lights, cameras, barriers. The professional assailant is the one that would be better repelled by another professional. If whomever you are concerned about really wanted to do you harm, they may even attempt to do it outside your dwelling making all your security measures all for naught.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Two shotguns pump action ( 3 repeater minimum) 9mm pistol ( wide selection)
I agree...just the sound of my Winchester would do it.
At 3 am it really cut thru the night once....he went arunnin'...
Of course for years now I depend on my dogs....once a Chow, once a German mix and now a full blood German Shepherd.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,440,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
My home was home invaded about 6 years ago, non-violently, by one person who took small electronics while proclaiming to be a plumber. He was caught and got 3 years.

Many events have taken place since then, including people wiping feces on our door (5 years ago) and loudly knocking on our door (both front and back*) at 2am (4 years ago). Recently we've had people ring our doorbell at all times of the day, when the door is opened they are no where to be seen, which was why we reinstalled the camera system.

We live in a highly trafficked area, with many buses (at least one per minute during peak hours) and tourists walking by during the day, however on occasion, during the hours of (11pm to 5:30am) it is practically empty.

My address was released onto the internet a couple of years ago, the reason this is important is because I was involved in a project which identified some very evil people AND also the fact that I'm known to be affluent due to my ventures by at least 100 people AND I get at least one death threat per month from very obsessive/stalkery people, however they're thousands of miles away from me.

*Our back door is connected to our back yard which is closed by a gate, so they climbed over the gate to get to the door.
Man! Just move! You live in a hell-hole... (Well, it's NYC after all)

Last edited by gtt99; 11-29-2014 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness