Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,069 times

Advertisements

I've read a bunch about the shelf life of liquid bleach (not my first choice for water purification because of the shorter shelf life) vs. using dry crystals of Sodium Hypochlorite (used to treat water in pools and hot tubs), which has a longer shelf life and seems easier to store. How do these compare to bleach tablets?

I bought some for my son to take to college (seemed easier for him than messing with liquid bleach), and I started wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using them to purify water in an emergency. One tables is equal to one cup of bleach, so you could treat a lot of water with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
I had never heard of the bleach tablets, so I tried looking up the ingredients and was unable to find exactly what was in them. I know they have both scented and unscented varieties, but I assume you have the sense (!)to avoid the scents! One website mentioned the little disclaimer on the bottle that it wasn't intended for "disinfecting", so I just dunno. Not sure if it comes with an expiration date. Food for research, I guess.

Pool shock is CALCIUM hypochlorite, not sodium. It may come in both flavors, but ours is the calcium formula. This stuff is pretty pure, and very potent. I'm also pretty sure you get a lot more bang for your bleach buck with pool shock than with bleach tablets, which seem pricey for what you get. But please try to find out all the ingredients before you drink the stuff.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:37 AM

37,460 posts, read 61,373,044 times
We use the tablets to make our bleach and we have used them for 20 years. Within the live-aboard boating community the tablets are very popular. They have very cheap, they have a long shelf life, and they do not take up much room.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:04 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,599 times
Get yourself a Sawyer point zero one or point zero two water filter. No need for chemicals

Old 12-07-2014, 02:06 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,599 times
Here ya go!

The Water Thread - Links to Major Water Information - Survivalist Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness