Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:23 AM

400 posts, read 413,911 times

Advertisements

Yes I know. You can live in a country treehouse in Texas as long as you have a septic system. My second house there down in the woods (that burned up) I just got a guy who builds septics and clears land and he made me a proper septic system for $3500. No permit, no inspection because it was so far down a goat path no one knew it was there. My new place in Oregon, I am paying for a DEQ permitted and inspected "Bottomless Money Pit" of a septic system. I may live in a shed but its going to have a really nice bath house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:45 AM

206 posts, read 238,402 times
This appeals, especially the homes built on wheels. But my state is far too varied on zoning law enforcement and not very friendly to anyone 'different' so should be noted all the scams that can befall an unwanted -- no access to property as easement access to property denied, not allowed to hook up utilities, repossession of cisterns/septic tanks, refusal to deliver mail to non-existant addresses, no trailers allowed, no small buildings allowed, trying to occupy any temporary dwelling (meaning no permits) in backyard could have your home searched for other code violations and may have to tear out whole basement you finished on weekends when code enforcer was off work so you did not need to buy a permit. Sheriff may be allowing neighbor to build a shed with intention to live in it but they call a special county council meeting for you....

Old 07-24-2015, 03:48 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,595,350 times
you cannot like anywhere in the UK without planning permission, some have tried but got evicted..from their own land.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you cannot like anywhere in the UK without planning permission, some have tried but got evicted..from their own land.
Any area that is over populated is also overly regulated. This is because space is tight and there are many intertwined interests, tax base is large and people expect different/more services. You can't have a, for example, a fertilizer plant next to a school and a neighborhood. Oh wait, yes you can in Texas - they are "business friendly" here. You can't just build a house without a permit/inspections etc. in Houston, TX either. 50 miles outside of it? Different story.

As for all the traps that can "befall the unwanted" such as "right of access" etc. - well, do your own research before you buy a piece of property - what kind of a "prepper" is this that just goes and buys a piece of land without any research and legal advice?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM

I know of people (not preppers ) who have bought property and land straight off the internet without ever viewing first, mainly investors and the like.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:39 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I know of people (not preppers ) who have bought property and land straight off the internet without ever viewing first, mainly investors and the like.
There is a HUGE difference between someone buying land over the internet (stupid, in my mind) who calls himself an investor and someone who is purchasing land to prep.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:20 AM

I've got some friends who are living on their own land about 5 miles down the road from me, the local council have given them 5 years to prove they can make a go of it, you have to be able to make a living from the land or else out you go, as my friend says he is surrounded by "unfriendlies" I somehow think he wont be there in 6 years time but we will see.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 PM

286 posts, read 262,512 times
I consider it to be very inferior to living in a van. the van can be moved 2x per year, to avoid heat and cold, go where the work is. The van can't be taxed, riots, fire, drought, etc, you can just MOVE it. You're IN your vehicle/home, so just LEAVE it parked until you need to go somewhere (that you can't go by bus or bicycle). saves tons of time and money, really. Commuting sucks, if it's more than a very few miles, without much traffic. That's unpaid overtime

I lived in a mini-van for 10 months, thru heat and cold, leaving nothing showing in the way of temptation for thieves (or cops). I built a 7x3x3 box to sleep in, light-tight, where my stuff went if I was not sleeping. If I was in the box, my stuff was covered with blankets. I kept it in plastic bins (dollar general, $5 each, with lid). You don't need to shower or a toilet or a sink. 1/4 of the world lives without such niceties, STILL, ya know! I just used the local jr college and convenience store for such needs. I wired the side doors and the rear hatch to only open 5" and in the heat, slept in a dampened sheet, with a battery powered fan blowing on me. I put 2" thick styrofoam insulation on the ceiling and tinted the windows. That helped a lot.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:16 PM

286 posts, read 262,512 times
Mini vans attract no attention. RVS's, cargo vans, buses, pickup campers DO attract attention. dont use curtains, DO move the van at 7 am and 10 pm. dont sleep at the same place more than 1x per week and never on the same night of the week. Take some classes at the local jr college. you'll be amazed what having that student ID and parking permit does for you! you can be in their library or their gym almost 100 hours per week, cops don't bother you, etc. it also opens the door for 5k per year of grants, 16k per year of loans, which don't have to be paid back until you've been out of school for 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness