Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:15 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I lived next door to Maine. The state where bodies can't be buried until the summer. There is maybe one or two warm months the entire year. That isn't much fun.
I know of no such state next to Maine. If you are referring to NH, they bury 'em all year long. Those old stories don't apply any longer. I have friends in NH, and their seasons are exactly the same as ours in Maine or Rhode Island. There are many days when the temps here in Maine are 5 to 10 degrees warmer than in my old state of RI. I have both locations saved in Accuweather, and compare daily. There are way more than 2 warm months during the entire year, anyplace in New England!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Thank you. Let's be honest and call a spade a spade. Nobody said Maine is not great for people who are willing to freeze their butts off most of the year. But to call it a "secret" implies that people today are totally ignorant. There is no such thing as a secret. If there was a place that had great weather AND cheap land (like the Maine proponents here imply), the world would be all over it and land would not be cheap anymore (and the place would be densely populated or chunked up between a few wealthy folks who would own most of it).
Yes, let's DO call a spade a spade. I know folks who live in AZ and who wouldn't want to live anywhere else. They love to bake in the heat. I wish them well; that life isn't for me. I moved from RI up to Maine because RI is so urbanized and over-paved, it is like a blast furnace in the summer. I know folks there whose yards are entirely paved, no grass anywhere, no dirt, just cement. I suffered in that state for my whole life, because my family all lived there. I drove tri-axle dumps for my own company there, sweltering in that insufferable heat. It took retirement to liberate me from that place. It's bearable here in the summer, because there's NO pavement anywhere but on the roads, and not all of them, either. The grass and the trees make it bearable. I am blond, blue-eyed, 6'-2" and of Norweigian descent. I have a tough time with heat, OK? I can freeze my butt off in winter, too - make no mistake - but I've never found Maine to be that cold. Literally, it is NOT Siberia. It's just New England.

I have no idea where you live; I wish you well with it. You seem to be happy there, and that's great. Arguing back and forth about "my state is better than your state, nyah-nyah-nyah" is the stuff of 5-year-olds. Maine used to be more populated than it is now; weather apparently was not the deciding factor, the economy was. That's fine with me. Please remember that YOU were the one complaining about the high cost of land, the lack of water...Submariner and myself were just pointing out that there are alternatives (and they are not all in Maine); MTSilvertip echoed our sentiments regarding less populated and more affordable acreage.

Let's put this dog to bed. We've been 'round the mulberry bush enough, already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 08:37 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I see some of you are expecting to do subsistence farming to survive the collapse of civilization, teotwawki. You're starting up doomsteads to do so. I hope that none of you are depending on heavy machinery/vehicles that use diesel or gasoline to power them for heavy tasks like plowing - those fuels would be non-existent if the collapse were severe enough.

What kind of animals do you have to do that work - horses, oxen? Do you have a field dedicated to growing their food? A forge to make and repair metal tools like saws, horseshoes and plows?

How does your doomstead stack up to the farms of the only folks who will likely be able to survive that way, the Amish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Heavy-till conventional farming, dependent on synthetic herbicides, petroleum fertilizers and fuels would surely fail quickly after the flow of petroleum ceases.

Only no-till organic done in sustainable manner can survive.

Obviously anything dependent of oil stops when oil stops, no reason for food production to stop though.
OK, no-till is a good idea, though many have a knee-jerk reaction to the idea of doomsteading and take up the annual, cultivated grains/potatoes approach.

No-till farming would be centered on perennial producers such as nut and fruit trees along with assorted others such as asparagus etc. Presumably there would be a fish pond (or barrels) and a few animals like chickens or pigs that can scrounge.

The only thing is ....... get started soon. It takes years for trees and most other perennials to ramp up to full production.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:10 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
No till is what leads to algae in rivers. The blooms in Lake Erie.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I know of no such state next to Maine. If you are referring to NH, they bury 'em all year long. Those old stories don't apply any longer. I have friends in NH, and their seasons are exactly the same as ours in Maine or Rhode Island. There are many days when the temps here in Maine are 5 to 10 degrees warmer than in my old state of RI. I have both locations saved in Accuweather, and compare daily. There are way more than 2 warm months during the entire year, anyplace in New England!

Yes, let's DO call a spade a spade. I know folks who live in AZ and who wouldn't want to live anywhere else. They love to bake in the heat. I wish them well; that life isn't for me. I moved from RI up to Maine because RI is so urbanized and over-paved, it is like a blast furnace in the summer. I know folks there whose yards are entirely paved, no grass anywhere, no dirt, just cement. I suffered in that state for my whole life, because my family all lived there. I drove tri-axle dumps for my own company there, sweltering in that insufferable heat. It took retirement to liberate me from that place. It's bearable here in the summer, because there's NO pavement anywhere but on the roads, and not all of them, either. The grass and the trees make it bearable. I am blond, blue-eyed, 6'-2" and of Norweigian descent. I have a tough time with heat, OK? I can freeze my butt off in winter, too - make no mistake - but I've never found Maine to be that cold. Literally, it is NOT Siberia. It's just New England.

I have no idea where you live; I wish you well with it. You seem to be happy there, and that's great. Arguing back and forth about "my state is better than your state, nyah-nyah-nyah" is the stuff of 5-year-olds. Maine used to be more populated than it is now; weather apparently was not the deciding factor, the economy was. That's fine with me. Please remember that YOU were the one complaining about the high cost of land, the lack of water...Submariner and myself were just pointing out that there are alternatives (and they are not all in Maine); MTSilvertip echoed our sentiments regarding less populated and more affordable acreage.

Let's put this dog to bed. We've been 'round the mulberry bush enough, already.
Hey look - I am not trying to be difficult here and I respect your choice of living location, no argument there. It's just that every time someone says something about cost of land where they live, we hear Submariner with his $300/acre story in Maine. My reaction to it is - ENOUGH ALREADY - there is a reason (as I said) why land is cheap in Maine and that's because for most people the cold makes it inhabitable and inhospitable. If it were a nicer climate people would flock there and these same people would create a vibrant economy - which would, in turn, make land expensive and hard to come by. Supply and demand. Maine is not a special secret that someone people don't know about - all that stuff has been arbitraged away long time ago.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Algae blooms mostly come from excessive use of synthetic fertilizers.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:04 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
LOL Nor'Eastah!!
My Mother-in-Law lives just outside Phoenix! One more reason I would NEVER want to live in the desert

I can't take heat either. I did my boot in New Orleans, and got stuck in several tropical/ desert hell-holes during my service. I couldn't take the unending heat, the molds, the humidity, and especially, the sand and dust in all your food and covering you and everything around you, and the innumerable bugs that lived on and in EVERYTHING!

Yeah, I don't like it when it's -40, but I know that won't last forever and you can always put on more clothes, and it makes you appreciate a good warm fire and cup of your favorite hot beverage when you come in from work all the more.

Glad you found your little piece of paradise and I wish you a long and happy retirement in a beautiful and very special place.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Glad you found your little piece of paradise and I wish you a long and happy retirement in a beautiful and very special place.
Thanks! That means a lot coming from somebody who realizes that a little snow in the winter isn't the end of the world; it just makes it more beautiful up here! Plus - WE know how to drive in it! (Though I spend more time plowing it...but won't go there...).

Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Again, all of this takes money that a minimum wage job isn't going to afford. It sounds great but the reality isn't going to work for almost everyone.
Everyone or almost everyone can't do everything. So?

Some can do that on minimum wage and less depending on individual circumstances. Rejecting something because everyone can't do it is ridiculous. Have you actually researched the multiple ways of doing it to see if it would work for you? If you can't, you can't. Move on to other alternatives.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
A self-defeatist attitude is not a trait of a self-starter. If the OP and others are just ranting to blow off steam and frustration, ok, I understand.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
There is a ton of stuff about algae blooms on the WWW.

What in your mind, makes you think it is linked to no-till?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness