Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Everything I quit was ultimately for me, but it was set off by my needing to be a good example for my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
COMMON THEME HERE: Everyone had the MOTIVATION to quit and that motivation its different for everyone.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 AM

587 posts, read 915,861 times
I quit cold turkey. I wake up one day and no longer want to do X and stop doing it. I also have to stop thinking about it - if I ruminate, I sooner or later succumb to temptation.

I try to be vigilant about avoiding addictions in the first place since it's easier for me not to start than to quit. I wish the quitting could be less inspiration driven and more strategic, but I haven't found a way to make that work.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 AM

330 posts, read 1,084,930 times
Like Nike says "just do it" breaking an addiction really shows how strong you are inside.

JMO people who can really get things done on their own, can easily break free from addictions

much harder for slackers or for people who are not self reliant and lean on other people to help them with stuff

Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
That was an interesting article but I don't think I can agree with it 100%. I've fought with this sugar addiction for decades. I've managed to be sugar free for 30 days many times. Now I'm counting the days until those chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies are on the store shelves again. Don't get me started on those Cadbury eggs. Kill me now. I fall off the wagon at the mere mention.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:44 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
The problem with all these cures - will power, religion, therapy, self-help groups, whatever - is that the first thing you have to do is stop doing whatever it is that makes you an addict. Second, you have to clean up your mess, which is probably the easiest of the two. The interaction between the two is the tricky part, because you have to stay stopped to clean up the mess.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:55 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

2. Be a person who doesn't do it.
I don't drink soda. I didn't quit soda. I don't say, "Oh, I CAN'T drink soda." I just decided I am not a person who drinks soda.
I like that! That's sort of how it was for me at Thanksgiving and Christmas about food/gorging. I physically COULDN'T eat very much because I had stopped taking Prilosec and was having some rebound from that; if I ate much or if I ate carbs I would vomit, literally. No one noticed I wasn't eating much but I noticed THEM eating a lot and it felt good to NOT be doing that. Now that the Prilosec rebound is much better and I can eat more, I still choose not to. Now I'm just a person who doesn't overeat and hopefully that's what I will be from now on!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
That was an interesting article but I don't think I can agree with it 100%. I've fought with this sugar addiction for decades. I've managed to be sugar free for 30 days many times. Now I'm counting the days until those chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies are on the store shelves again. Don't get me started on those Cadbury eggs. Kill me now. I fall off the wagon at the mere mention.
I grew up on chocolate back in Europe - my mom fed me 100gr chocolate bars daily. I did this for 40 years. At the end I quit chocolate cold turkey six months ago - I realized it gave me bad headaches.

Anyways, chocolate is not bad to eat daily, if you can handle it. I don't see why you should quit it - it is not addiction if you have one chocolate per day and you are not overweight. There are far worse things to be addicted to - heroin, cocaine, alcohol, cigarettes...

Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
Over do it; till it makes you sick. Unless it is harmful to ones health.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Like Nike says "just do it" breaking an addiction really shows how strong you are inside.

JMO people who can really get things done on their own, can easily break free from addictions

much harder for slackers or for people who are not self reliant and lean on other people to help them with stuff
.................Very intelligent post........Stating what are obvious facts in a clear and concise manner, well done ..........................Montana Griz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness