Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:56 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Obesity is an arbitrary term. We can, however, use common sense to define it. I was once in a White Castle in the Detroit area. A party of five, theree adults and two children, entered. I heard them order twelve dozen hamburgers. They bought other comestibles as well. I don't know what their combined weight was, but it had to be nearly a ton. That's fat; that's obese to almost anyone. But a few extra pounds?
Happy, obesity is actually a well defined term. As per CDC: Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Adult: Defining - DNPAO - CDC

I think it is somewhat like alcoholism: if it interferes in your daily life, it is a disease.

Quote:
There's been a successful campaign against smoking. That's certainly part of the reason for obesity just as it is for a higher incidence of Alzheimer's and prostate cancer since nicotine reduces the rate of both by about 50%. It will be interesting to take a look at the numbers in twenty years.
Not sure but the cigarettes as sold today have been proven to be directly linked to lung, throat and mouth cancers. Now, what my grandpa used to smoke - tobacco from his own field and dried in the barn, don't know. Certainly many folks who grew tobacco back home lived to an old and ripe age and they all smoked it.

Quote:
I'm not sure what causes areas to be redneck. I do know that Wyoming has few, but Colorado has a whole culture. My indicator is the fact that I've seen fewer dogs in the backs of pickups here in twelve years than I saw in a day in Colorado. Wyoming does have the highest percentage of residents who have at least graduated from high school, over 92%. That may be a major factor.
Yeah agreed. A person could move to the rural South and if they don't click with the rednecks, it can be a tough living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:14 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
It may be all the same everywhere rural but the population density is what makes the difference. You may have the same thing in SW Texas or Wyoming for example, however, there are very few people per square mile so you may not notice it. Tennessee, Florida, so on and so on - population density is much higher and them rednecks can be pretty close and in yer face pretty quick - you just won't be able to get away...
What the HAIL ya talkin' about??? Are you looking at Memphis, Nashville...or where???

The town we last looked at had a population density of 296 people per sq mile, which C-D lists as "very low". I'd say it was, too, judging from all the trees compared to the people. I think you just like to get onto my neck and cause an ITCH. I smack the critters who do that!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:30 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
296 people per square miles is "very low??"

Holy cow! That's a lot of people for "very low."
I wonder what less than 3 is called... lol
(Which I find a little too populated for my taste, btw. Im happiest at less than1 )

Old 02-15-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What the HAIL ya talkin' about??? Are you looking at Memphis, Nashville...or where???

The town we last looked at had a population density of 296 people per sq mile, which C-D lists as "very low". I'd say it was, too, judging from all the trees compared to the people. I think you just like to get onto my neck and cause an ITCH. I smack the critters who do that!
296 is plenty much

The definition of the frontier was <2 people per sq mile. There are counties in the country today that still count as the frontier by that definition. Loving county TX is one. There is a book that you can read documenting all these counties and life in them as it is today: http://www.amazon.com/Miles-Nowhere-...f+contemporary

Old 02-16-2015, 01:51 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
My God, some of the counties have obesity rates of 45% and up!! Anyways, I found this interesting...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/up...abt=0002&abg=0
That's scary. My eldest brother and I won the family lottery. We are, were, both tall and thin. I can eat an entire cheesecake in two days and maybe gain a pound or so. The middle two, well, that's a different story. My sister is obese and my other brother has been battling his weight for years.

Genetics do come into play here. We grew up in the same house eating the same things. Why was I thin and my sister wasn't?

Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's scary. My eldest brother and I won the family lottery. We are, were, both tall and thin. I can eat an entire cheesecake in two days and maybe gain a pound or so. The middle two, well, that's a different story. My sister is obese and my other brother has been battling his weight for years.

Genetics do come into play here. We grew up in the same house eating the same things. Why was I thin and my sister wasn't?
Don't know but I think genetics is part of the story. Fact is that obesity of this scale is a relatively new phenomenon so it must have something to do with lifestyle, food quality etc. in addition to genes. It is likely an interplay of a few things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness