Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 07:40 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post

If however you are going to prepare for a weather induced catastrophe, it is worth storing food and water - but let's then talk about where you live. We had one poster from Britain come in forcefully, talk about sheep but then it turns out that he could not really point out any examples of weather induced starvation and death from lack of water in Britain recorded, ever.
I don't remember you saying anything about "death from lack of water", as I recall we were discussing lack of food storage by "the masses" and although no we haven't had any weather related deaths- unless we are talking about the extra deaths among the elderly from hyperthermia in very cold winters, it should be noted that the UK is in the Northern hemisphere and get plenty of rainfall-especially in the south west which has a milder climate than the north. however we have had some pretty severe weather in the uk over the last few years from the movement of the Jetstream to the flooding in Boscastle and the flooding on the Somerset "levels", although nobody died their homes were severely flooded and they ran short of food before any help arrived and a supply of food stored in an upstairs area would have lessened their plight to some degree, at least it would have been one less thing to worry about, as it was people had to be ferried about by boat to reach dry land(The Somerset Levels are below sea level) before they could even think of going to the shops...many miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I don't remember you saying anything about "death from lack of water", as I recall we were discussing lack of food storage by "the masses" and although no we haven't had any weather related deaths- unless we are talking about the extra deaths among the elderly from hyperthermia in very cold winters, it should be noted that the UK is in the Northern hemisphere and get plenty of rainfall-especially in the south west which has a milder climate than the north. however we have had some pretty severe weather in the uk over the last few years from the movement of the Jetstream to the flooding in Boscastle and the flooding on the Somerset "levels", although nobody died their homes were severely flooded and they ran short of food before any help arrived and a supply of food stored in an upstairs area would have lessened their plight to some degree, at least it would have been one less thing to worry about, as it was people had to be ferried about by boat to reach dry land(The Somerset Levels are below sea level) before they could even think of going to the shops...many miles away.
My question (on at least 3-4 occasions) was - point out an example of when people died of starvation or thirst after a catastrophe in Britain. You are right, they could have lessened their suffering but what was supposed to happen, happened - public services helped them get over the hump, no? That's the tax dollars (pounds) at work.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
My question (on at least 3-4 occasions) was - point out an example of when people died of starvation or thirst after a catastrophe in Britain. You are right, they could have lessened their suffering but what was supposed to happen, happened - public services helped them get over the hump, no? That's the tax dollars (pounds) at work.
public services did not help them with food and water, eventually the water company brought in some pumps from Holland to pump out the water but that was many weeks if not a month down the line, these people were left very much to their own devices, let that be a lesson to us all-don't relly on the state to help you in an emergency-not in the UK anyway. yet another reason to "prep".

Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Maybe. However, it is also very ungentlemanly to call people sheep and laugh at them for not sharing what you are preparing for. It has happened numerous times on this forum. Many times also the rural/country people have been glorified but we all know many rural/country people are backwards and frankly, stupid in so many occasions and many times they are smart in so many occasions, just like their city brethren. Why? 'Cause people are people. I know a lot of rural people who do not prep, do not tend gardens and shop in town. I have said that many times and nobody acknowledges that, all they keep saying is that the city people are stupid sheep.
I never called anyone a "sheep". I just pointed out to you that the term "sheeple" is commonly used for those who do not/will not prepare. It never occurred to me to call you that.

Quote:
Anyways, if it is not weather, come out and publicly state what it is you are preparing for - reveal to us your deepest fears about society and let's see what motivates YOU.
I wish I could tell you this, but I cannot, as I am never quite sure just what direction things are headed in. At this time, it looks as if we are ramping up to WW3; next summer, it may be something else. But things just don't look good to me, and haven't since 9-11. You are entitled to disagree.

Quote:
I am stating that total collapse of society is NOT on MY list and that everyone who is preparing for EMP attacks, zombie apocalypse, the total electrical grid grinding into a halt all of a sudden, the total food and water delivery system and infrastructure falling apart, the country breaking apart due to some unknown catastrophe - is plumb crazy and that chances of any of these events are so close to nil that they are probably immeasurable.
Perhaps they are immeasurable...I don't know, and nobody I know of is sure, either. But I would never call anyone "plumb crazy" for thinking so. You never can tell.

Quote:
If however you are going to prepare for a weather induced catastrophe, it is worth storing food and water - but let's then talk about where you live. We had one poster from Britain come in forcefully, talk about sheep but then it turns out that he could not really point out any examples of weather induced starvation and death from lack of water in Britain recorded, ever.
Back a couple of pages ago I posted a wiki article answering that question for you. Did you bother to read it? I don't believe any of it was "weather-induced". Many of us don't worry about the weather. And I never took you for a guy who couldn't stand up to a little name-calling, without getting rattled.

Quote:
I know many people here get bothered by being challenged, after all, they come in and expect a pat on the back and "show me yours, I will show you mine" type of a conversation where they can all validate each other. My purposes for being here are different: a) it is to learn and b) it is to dispel all the myths and challenge people to actually THINK of what is most important when prepping.
You cannot see that you are upsetting many people by "challenging" them and "dispelling" what YOU consider to be "myths"...but which may not be. You are coming across as a bully, that's all.

Quote:
Anyways, thanks for your assessment but I think you have missed it by a far shot.
That's about what I figured you'd say.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
public services did not help them with food and water, eventually the water company brought in some pumps from Holland to pump out the water but that was many weeks if not a month down the line, these people were left very much to their own devices, let that be a lesson to us all-don't relly on the state to help you in an emergency-not in the UK anyway. yet another reason to "prep".
...and a LOT of people agree with that!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
OK - good example - how many people died as a result of being left to their own devices?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I never called anyone a "sheep". I just pointed out to you that the term "sheeple" is commonly used for those who do not/will not prepare. It never occurred to me to call you that.
I wasn't talking about myself

Quote:
I wish I could tell you this, but I cannot, as I am never quite sure just what direction things are headed in. At this time, it looks as if we are ramping up to WW3; next summer, it may be something else. But things just don't look good to me, and haven't since 9-11. You are entitled to disagree.
I am multitudes more worried about the loss of liberties here than many of these EMP attack, zombie apocalypse things.

Quote:
Perhaps they are immeasurable...I don't know, and nobody I know of is sure, either. But I would never call anyone "plumb crazy" for thinking so. You never can tell.
Yes but I would never laugh at anyone who thinks these things are immeasurable and highly unlikely and I would never deride them in public. Just like you said, you can never tell

Quote:
Back a couple of pages ago I posted a wiki article answering that question for you. Did you bother to read it? I don't believe any of it was "weather-induced". Many of us don't worry about the weather. And I never took you for a guy who couldn't stand up to a little name-calling, without getting rattled.
(I read the article) and this isn't about me - I can take the name calling but it is funny how every time I make a comment that doesn't fly here, I am being snide and a bully - seems to me others have a problem with their notions being challenged.

Quote:
You cannot see that you are upsetting many people by "challenging" them and "dispelling" what YOU consider to be "myths"...but which may not be. You are coming across as a bully, that's all.
OK cool. Point taken. However, note that it is much easier for a group of people to bully someone (or deride others who may not even be here to defend their point of view) than for one person to bully the group

Old 02-23-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
OK - good example - how many people died as a result of being left to their own devices?
there you go again!! why the fixation on death? isn't going without enough food and water with sewage lapping at the foot of the stairs, children crying, no electric, no mains water, being thoroughly depressed and miserable at the state of your home something they've scrimped and saved for years for enough?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
there you go again!! why the fixation on death? isn't going without enough food and water with sewage lapping at the foot of the stairs, children crying, no electric, no mains water, being thoroughly depressed and miserable at the state of your home something they've scrimped and saved for years for enough?
At least they stayed alive?

Finally, if you live in a house where you are and you get flooded to the point where everything is ruined - what could you have done to prep for it? A bug-out location? By your own admission, it is expensive and impossible to buy your own place/land in the UK.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
At least they stayed alive?

Finally, if you live in a house where you are and you get flooded to the point where everything is ruined - what could you have done to prep for it? A bug-out location? By your own admission, it is expensive and impossible to buy your own place/land in the UK.
you could put back a supply of food and water, enough say for everyone in the house for several weeks, a flashlight, a lantern and some spare batteries, some form of cooking when the power is out say a camping stove, and maybe a mobile gas heater and at least one spare cylinder....this is what many are doing in the UK as a "minimum" requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness