Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 10:07 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
oh LordyLordy......have you not been listening, ANYONE never mind where they live can put back a few supplies to tide them over a bad patch, many preppers in the UK prepare for things like unemployment, sickness, bad weather and even as a hedge against rising prices, a box full of cans and some packets of dried goods can be placed in the bottom of a cupboard for emergencies, people start with 2 days worth, then 3 days then a weeks worth, some stop there, some don't, it all depends on what the usual emergencies in those areas are. I seem to recall an older lady just after "Sandy" complaining that "I have no food in the house" and it had been like 24 hours! and people after the storm passed raiding the dumpsters for food.......I know those are two extremes but which would most people want to be like? the ones who had put supplies back or the ones raiding the dumpsters?
Yes but my contention is that aside from the very poor and the very stupid (latter is really a minority), most people DO have something ready, hence it is unfair for you to criticize them. THAT"s what bothers me, the holier than thou attitude towards all these people lumped into one group. Most people have a few days worth of food in the cupboard. I am saying IF you are going to prepare for more, what is it - you need to think through that and have a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:15 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,090 times
Wrestle with a pig, two things happen. You get filthy, and the pig enjoys it....

Old 02-23-2015, 10:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Yes but my contention is that aside from the very poor and the very stupid (latter is really a minority), most people DO have something ready, hence it is unfair for you to criticize them. THAT"s what bothers me, the holier than thou attitude towards all these people lumped into one group. Most people have a few days worth of food in the cupboard. I am saying IF you are going to prepare for more, what is it - you need to think through that and have a plan.
of course you need a plan but a plan is no good without supplies to back it up, those supplies either have to be EXTRA to what is normally kept(say in a box under the bed ) or you add them to your normal stock of food and "rotate, rotate, rotate"-new cans to the back, old ones to the front use those first. people in general have no food in reserve and its only what they normally have, usually topped up on a weekly basis and it could quickly run out in an emergency-say in a bad winter storm when the store is closed or the weather too bad for the delivery trucks to get through.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
A fortified village solution, Chinese style - - -
http://youtu.be/_FqNk5EVNSs

The round Hakka Tulous offer many benefits - resilient and disaster resistant.
Minimal exposure improves energy efficiency.
Curved walls are more stable.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A fortified village solution, Chinese style - - -
http://youtu.be/_FqNk5EVNSs

The round Hakka Tulous offer many benefits - resilient and disaster resistant.
Minimal exposure improves energy efficiency.
Curved walls are more stable.
a prepper friend of mine has been looking at big country houses(National Trust type properties) for the same sort of reason.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
a box full of cans and some packets of dried goods can be placed in the bottom of a cupboard for emergencies, people start with 2 days worth, then 3 days then a weeks worth, some stop there, some don't, it all depends on what the usual emergencies in those areas are.
Yup...that's exactly how simple it is to get started: one days' worth at a time, if need be. And it sure beats dumpster-diving!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post

there you would be wrong. most people believe that nothing at all will happen to them. including the rich and middle class.
the poor are in a better situation to put more back than people with less money. as poor people should be making food from scratch more and it costs way less to make from scratch than it does to buy process foods.

our group in place does have a plan and we have thought it through completely. the only thing we do not plan for is a super eruption, as if one does happen, we will be killed before the 1st day is over.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Anything less than the Yellowstone Caldura blowing up, and I'm in pretty good shape

I'm not a "prepper" per se, but I live a pretty self suffiecent lifestyle so it wouldn't make a huge difference to the way I normally live, except I probably wouldn't be posting on the internet about it

I already live a long way from population centers, so zombie riots are not an issue. Long way from the ocean, so tidal waves are no concern.
Don't get hurricanes or tornadoes here, and while we do get earthquakes, they usually aren't large.

Wildfires are a big concern here, but as long as you plan and have a defensable space built, that is managable.

If there's a EMP event, I also have a 1967 vehicle so it wouldn't even notice. I can make my own fuel, I have draft horses and oxen as well as old equipment for plowing and harvesting with them.
Plenty of wood for heat, lots of good water coming out of the mountains.

I blacksmith so I can repair or make just about anything I need.
I have all the archery tackle and trapping equipment I could need for hunting and fishing, and lots of empty spaces with large wildlife populations.

Yeah, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

How about you?
Sounds good...but you know that most consider an arsenal de rigeour, right?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sounds good...but you know that most consider an arsenal de rigeour, right?
more fool them, how are you going to protect what you have from those that don't in a post SHTF world?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
there you would be wrong. most people believe that nothing at all will happen to them. including the rich and middle class.
Those two groups more than any other would not even consider anything but the "status quo" anything else is just not going to happen they think. in the UK prepping isn't mainstream, its something to do with "that Doomsday Preppers tv programme" and its "entertainment" nothing more, the thought of putting anything back "just in case" would not occur to the majority of the population and anyone who is prepping is thought to be a bit of an "oddball" to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness