Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 AM

297 posts, read 357,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Even worse, a fire. That's why I say to clear all brush and trees within, oh, I guess about 30 meters if possible, and get a fireproof roof if you can afford it. Also don't use kerosene lanterns or have large amounts of flammable liquids in the house. Use LED lights and store lots of batteries. This is one instance where modern technology is better than the old.
Im torn on this and I only bring it up because my fiance and I talked about it night before last.
Our California home is out in the open, nothing but dirt, clay, sand and grass around.
Our SC house is completely in the trees.
On one hand, you are hidden from view and people would have to work really hard to find us but we are susceptible to fire and damage from tree limbs in a storm, on the other hand, when you are in the free and clear everyone and their cousin knows you are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:22 AM

5,369 posts, read 3,549,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
I think yall might be missing something. When you buy flour, do you buy a tiny bag/box? Or one that is few pounds or kilos?? In the US most store bought flour comes in a 5lb bag or larger.
a 5lb bag of flower is approx 8000 calories. which all by itself can keep a family of four fed over three days in survival mode.

Add in everything in that fridge/pantry. Rice, ketchup, mustard, noodles, cooking oils, butter ect ect ect.
What about that 60lb bag of dog food?
Cans of cat food?
Most western folk have far more food laying around than they think.
In my JR collage, our nutrion teacher had us go home and Kcal count everything in our house. Elmers glue, chap stick, pet foods you name it. In our class, the average single person had about 21,000 Calories laying around. And these were poor collage kids.
But again, depends on the people right? My exwife burned water, so she never kept food in the house at all. Im a prepper, so Im good for a year, but you cannot tell just by looking at my fringe or pantry, its just looks like I like pasta, lol.

And no, a month worth of food is not a lot, but were talking about folks who did not prep and the static family in the US which is 4.33 members. My bugout bag can feed me for a month not counting what I took from my own house. I raid one empty house, there is another one to four months.

It all depends of course of what type of SHTFE, because a flood ruins a lot of those calories.
in my area all our "groceries" come from the supermarket as we don't have any cash and carries like Costco in my area(Rural), we buy flour from a health food shop in 1kilo/2.2lb bags, usually 3 at a time, we keep a stock of 5x1kilo bags in an airtight bucket with a lid. I guess with what we store in the larder + whats in 2 freezers + what we grow in the garden we have about 1 years worth, more if we can hunt, trap and forage. we buy extra each time we shop, maybe only a few cans or packs at a time (we are on a budget) so it increases slowly bit by bit over time. but that's us, people in my area are not preppers and they are mostly not country folk either, most couldn't gut a fish never mind butcher a carcass, they commute to their jobs 25-30-40 miles away every day and store very little real food, mostly convenience and microwave dinners.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:13 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,513,898 times
Something that might work for you BigPaul is an old Mountain Man/Pioneer staple from my part of the country, Cold Flour.

It's a mix of corn meal and some brown sugar, and usually salt, but if they had it some folks would mix in cinnamon or nutmeg for flavor.

It didn't require refrigeration, could be carried in a sack, could be eaten hot or cold. You mixed your measure of cold flour 1 part cold flour to 4 parts water.

Cooked, it turned into a mush similar to oatmeal or cream of wheat, but if you ate a little bit cold then drank your water, it worked that way too if you couldn't make a fire.

There are a myriad of different recepies for it, one I have is a modern version, but it works as a starting point.

4 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Personally, I like nutmeg in mine, and I like to mix rasins or dried berries like the Serviceberry into it. If you cook it, you can throw in some Jerkey to give it a little more protein, or you can fry the mush, like Hush Puppies, or even boil it for Corn Pone. It also works to thicken stews or soups to make them more hearty and filling.

It's a survival food, doesn't take up a lot of room, doesn't need refrigeration, and keeps for a long time if kept dry.

Just a thought for someone with limited space for storage, and on a budget.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 AM

530 posts, read 894,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Ya think?? That is because the 'true' SHTFers are a small group of paranoid people and honestly, IF the poop ever DOES hit the fan, I don't care to be alive with the 'type' of peeps I have watched and followed on some of the groups for such. I'll be taking my cyanide pill and exiting stage left.
Wait, you have a cyanide pill? I know you are probably joking, but I was watching Red with Bruce Willis and the one Russian guy says, "here, take these if you are captured. Its a quick painless death." I was like hmmm.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
Wait, you have a cyanide pill? I know you are probably joking, but I was watching Red with Bruce Willis and the one Russian guy says, "here, take these if you are captured. Its a quick painless death." I was like hmmm.
fine by me, I got no time for losers.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,143,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You must have bulging, powerful arm muscles, and excellent aerobic fitness. It's hard to grind that stuff!

Plus you should have both hard and soft wheat, so that would be 100 lbs.

I have both, but the grinder is electric and the one that can be used by muscle power is connected to a bicycle for grinding purposes.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:25 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,513,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I have both, but the grinder is electric and the one that can be used by muscle power is connected to a bicycle for grinding purposes.
The one made in Stevensville Montana?
GrainMaker Wheat Grinder

An excellent unit!!

Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,269,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The one made in Stevensville Montana?
GrainMaker Wheat Grinder

An excellent unit!!
Looks very nice. I have a Country Living Mill, that was about half the price when I bought it. That was a while ago... It has the bean auger as well, works like a charm.

The Country Living Grain Mill | Grind Wheat Grain into Flour

Old 03-14-2015, 04:43 AM

According to a YouGov survey taken in February, out of those that answered: 71% of Americans said they wouldn't last 1 WEEK past SHTF, 29% said they would last more than 1 WEEK, 25% said they would survive for "almost" 1 WEEK, 38% said "a few days" and 8% "less than 1 DAY". 20% said SHTF" would never happen".

Old 03-14-2015, 11:13 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,438,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
20% said SHTF" would never happen".
Talk about living in De Nile (denial)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness