Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times

Advertisements

"The Spring visiteth not these Quarters so timely." - Richard Carew, 1602

No surprise to regulars on the SS&P board: New England has suffered through a particularly nasty, bitter, snowy winter of 2014-15. I personally have seen snowier, and colder winters - but not both!

But now it's March, and time to think of spring. One of the best harbingers of spring is called "ice-out", the melting of ice from lakes and waterways in the northern areas. In Maine, this usually happens anytime from mid-April to early May, followed by "mud season" when the ground thaws.

Here is a short video showing a Minnesota ice-out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jj0mDL9KUM

Predictions are made each year for the date of ice-out; this year, predictions are for later than usual. There are also predictions of major flooding in low-lying areas, from frozen rivers. We shall see. What happens where you live, that presages spring? How was your winter - or did you even have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:10 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
I think "ice out" here in Upstate NY is going to be late this year. The first sign of spring around here is maple sugaring, which usually begins in late February/early March, but it's been so cold (Buffalo's average temp is the lowest ever: 11 degrees in February, and it's been colder than that here in the Southern Tier where most of the maple trees are) that the sap hasn't even thought about rising yet.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think "ice out" here in Upstate NY is going to be late this year. The first sign of spring around here is maple sugaring, which usually begins in late February/early March, but it's been so cold (Buffalo's average temp is the lowest ever: 11 degrees in February, and it's been colder than that here in the Southern Tier where most of the maple trees are) that the sap hasn't even thought about rising yet.
I hadn't even thought of sap season - thanks for the reminder! Temps not right at all in the northern part of Maine, and I doubt if they're right yet downstate. They're drillin' holes already, just in case the sap starts to think about running! (No sap yet...)

Old 03-03-2015, 08:09 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Montana started out with snow ice and below zero temps in September. Really had a winter going until the end of January as I had about 18 inches of glacial ice in my yard down in a valley that usually doesn't have a lot of snow pack.

Then February hit and the temps warmed as high as 70 degrees one day LOVED it. Really helped my firewood supply.

The trees actually were starting to bud during the warm spell, some grass was greening, it was wonderful, but now with the cold, it could kill some of the berry crop.
The Grizzly were even coming out of their dens in February it was so warm.

Now that March is here we're back to single digit temps and snow flurrys. While there isn't a lot of snow in the low country, (less than 5000 feet elevation), the snowpack in the mountains is normal, but with the melt off chinook we had in February, unless we get dumped on in March, (can and does happen), I don't look for a lot of flooding or high water this year.

March and April usually see a lot of high winds, (50 mph +) and snow, rain and freezing rain. May is when we usually start getting warm, but we have killer frosts until usually the first of June so gardening is tough. I did buy a couple of new hot beds this year to try and get my plants started a little earlier, but we will see.

I was thinking of perhaps starting a couple of beehives this year at my cabin, but if the berries are stunted, then the bears will be worse than usual. I was going to put the hives up on poles wrapped in metal so the bears couldn't get to them, but like my father reminded me, unless I put in poles about the size of a telephone pole, the griz will just push them over.

Think I'll save my money until next year before I start my hives.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
...unless we get dumped on in March, (can and does happen)...March and April usually see a lot of high winds, (50 mph +) and snow, rain and freezing rain. May is when we usually start getting warm, but we have killer frosts until usually the first of June so gardening is tough.
Likewise up here in northern Maine. It may get over freezing during the day in late Feb/early March, but nights get below freezing again. And yes...rain and snow flurries. Last year, it was quite warm - in the 50s - in early April, but there was 2' of snow on the ground still, when I went up to visit our new ranch.

Submariner used to (still does?) raise bees in central Maine. Maybe I'll ty that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness