Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:27 AM

5,380 posts, read 3,574,095 times

Advertisements

i can live without most things, except maybe a good knife and a good dog!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:55 AM

6,754 posts, read 8,545,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I hear ya, both! The only thing that stops me from putting my fist through the wall (sometimes... ) is knowing that it's not a whole lot better anywhere else in the world. Even so, if you live in the back country, in the Great Northern Wilderness, I suspect you can have a LOT more freedom, if you just keep your mouth shut about it. "They" don't have enough personnel to keep track of much more than the cities, suburbs, and some of the better-established outposts in the countryside. There's still a lot of freedom for those who keep a low profile.

For those still wondering why the cities are NOT the place to be...here's but one example.
You are exactly right. The biggest problem is that folks can't keep their mouths shut. They have to brag about getting away with something, and pretty soon, they aren't.

I don't think the BATF is going to dedicate the manpower and equipment to hunt down somebody making a quart of homebrew for themselves, but the shiner will soon have to brag about how good they are at it, giving it to others looking for posative reinforcement about how clever and talented they are, then somebody wants to buy a little, pretty soon, that guy that makes a quart for his own use is sitting in the pen for moonshining.

It ain't illegal until you get caught.

CountryBoy, I agree with you too. When somebody tells me I can't do it, that's when I WANT to do it even if I've never had reason to do it before.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,271,852 times
Illegal is just a sick bird until you get caught...

Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The biggest problem is that folks can't keep their mouths shut. They have to brag about getting away with something, and pretty soon, they aren't.
This is all part of OP SEC, of keeping a low profile. People who wouldn't dream of telling the neighbors that they have 2 years of food put back, somehow feel compelled to spill the beans about how they circumvented some law or other. Personally, I'd rather have them know about my food...

Old 03-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is all part of OP SEC, of keeping a low profile. People who wouldn't dream of telling the neighbors that they have 2 years of food put back, somehow feel compelled to spill the beans about how they circumvented some law or other. Personally, I'd rather have them know about my food...
There is a reason the national average of solved murders is 70%. It's because 1 or 2 out of ten are lucky as heck, and the other 1 or 2 out of ten know how to keep their mouth shut. The other seven either kill someone whom they are a natural suspect for, or run their yap to someone about it. It isn't that the cops are psychic or omnipresent.

Ever notice how all the terror and murder for hire busts turn out to be a sting op where the suspect was approached by a CI or undercover LEO? The vast majority of real hits and terror attacks happen before the perp is discovered. The rest are "found out" by saying something or agreeing to do something when prepped by someone intending to bust them. Maybe the wife was going to have the hubby whacked for real, but she said something to someone, perhaps a friend or coworker, whatever, who then turned the cops onto the situation and allowed them to get involved undercover before a real hitter was hired. You can bet your last dollar little wifey did not approach a police officer posing as a hitman by chance, or that the police magically knew what she was up to and targeted her knowingly. Loose lips sink ships, and the taciturn fellow is seldom found out.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,396,748 times
Sorry man.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to countryboy73 again.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:04 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,735,482 times
I got him for ya Ryan

I often tell mom 'I have ten acres and a backhoe, they'll never find the body' when she complains about her BF

Do any of you menfolk ahve any advice for kidney stones? Dh is writhing in pain. I am feeding him Tullamore Dew. It is distilled in the same county in Ireland that his grandmother hailed from.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:52 PM

6,754 posts, read 8,545,983 times
When I had gallstones I was told to drink cranberry juice as the stones are a form of mineral deposit and the acids in cranberry juice help to break them up.

http://ehealthmd.com/content/what-ar...#axzz3VXFHqtmP

I wasn't sure how it was supposed to help due to the location of the gallbladder relative to the digestive tract, but as much as I was hurting, I was willing to try just about anything as the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I also found out that gallstones are made from a different mineral than kidney stones too.

An old cowpoke told me about the juice, and after nearly 10 years, I found a doctor smart enough to figure out what the problem was.

I ended up having to have my gall removed anyway, but cranberry juice did keep me going for several years, at least it seemed to reduce the pain and occurance.

The Tullamore Dew would at least be a great painkiller

Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,567,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Do any of you menfolk ahve any advice for kidney stones? Dh is writhing in pain. I am feeding him Tullamore Dew. It is distilled in the same county in Ireland that his grandmother hailed from.
I don't believe that there's much you can do for this kidney stone. but you can prepare for future occurences.

According to my urologist, lemon juice works as a home remedy. He told me that it takes a fair amount, but squeeze a few lemons everyday and make some lemonade. I load my tomato juice and hummus with lemon juice as well. I never use sugar in my lemonade; I love the taste of lemons.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't believe that there's much you can do for this kidney stone. but you can prepare for future occurences.

According to my urologist, lemon juice works as a home remedy. He told me that it takes a fair amount, but squeeze a few lemons everyday and make some lemonade. I load my tomato juice and hummus with lemon juice as well. I never use sugar in my lemonade; I love the taste of lemons.
Lemon juice serves to acidify the urinary system, and will work at breaking down existing stones, as well as preventing the formation of future stones. Pure juice of lemon, taken daily before eating is the most effective.

The cause of kidney stones is excess calcium in the blood stream, deposited in the kidneys, which, unable to process it, allows stones to form. Caffeine is known to strip calcium from the body, causing it to deposit in the kidneys. Often, heavy consumers of soft drinks find themselves suffering from kidney stones for this reason. Others have a genetic predisposition to the ailment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness