Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 01:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,524,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
My vote is...financial!
Naahh, when currency means nothing, we'll quickly go back to tangible wealth. Precious metals, commodities, things we can touch and use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:47 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Apparently, you don't have any understanding of preppers as you like to lump them in with doomers which are an entirely different animal.
What's the title of this thread? "How will the collapse go down?" Why haven't you pointed out that the OP is silly at the least? You don't because you assume that catastrophe is imminent. "Prepper" or "doomer", it's the same thing like "autumn" or "fall".

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What's the title of this thread? "How will the collapse go down?" Why haven't you pointed out that the OP is silly at the least? You don't because you assume that catastrophe is imminent. "Prepper" or "doomer", it's the same thing like "autumn" or "fall".
The OP feels that they have a valid concern. Why do you feel that we need to judge their feelings? Why not have a discussion about it? Who is to decide what is "silly" and what is not?

You love to declare that people "asume" this or that...maybe they don't. I did not see any reference to "catastrophe being imminent". My crystal ball is not working; maybe yours is? And "prepper" does not equal "doomer". Lots of people prep for lots of different reasons.

Which leaves open the same old question: why do people who think prepping is silly and that nothing bad ever happens, see fit to hang out on a preparedness forum? They are like the peanut gallery tossing spitballs out at the real players. Is this how you get your kicks? You need a new hobby!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:23 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
When, exactly, has all civilization suddenly and totally collapsed? The answer is NEVER. A few ancient civilizations have relatively suddenly disappeared, but "relatively", in an historical sense does NOT mean in a matter of weeks or days. Even the city of Pompey which was buried by Vesuvius within hours does not prove that entire civilizations just disappear instantly; the Roman Empire did not disappear because Pompey was destroyed.

In fact, in the history of the world, civilizations have arisen slowly, have had a period of dominance, and then been slowly replaced by other civilizations. Many times, there have been multiple civilizations in existence at the same that knew absolutely nothing about each other or considered what was known about them as fantasy. The fall of Roman civilization, which took centuries, left western Europe in the "Dark Ages" and Europeans ignorant, but art, literature, mathematics, and science continued to flourish under the Byzantine Greeks and then the various Muslim civilizations of the Moors, Arabs, and Turks. Then there's the Mongol and Chinese empires in Asia or, Mayans and their successors, the Aztecs, as well as the Incas.

Your "history" is skewed by both your ignorance and your political views. You so busy defending your paranoid world view that you fail to realize that there's a big difference between being prepared for some localized natural disaster and some event that wipes out all civilization all across the planet.
I'm pretty sure the people in the south pacific thought the world was ending when that tidal wave hit. Just how far inland are you if something simlar happens if a volcano in Iceland blows like Krakatoa?

Your distain for people that think differently from you is really starting to strain your logic. Yes, usually when civilizations collapse it is over a period of years, but it does happen quickly as well. Just look to the breakup of the Soviet Union and its satallite states just a few years ago. The people survived, the culture and organization they lived under didn't, and it did happen very quickly once the wall was breached.

I don't recall ever planning for anything that would wipe out the planet, that would be wasted effort as I live here too, but some events such as a solar flare have and could happen. While not fatal initially, the breakdown in infrastructure would be a turning point in our civilization that may take years to recover from.

My politics on this are limited, I don't trust the current people in power. I haven't for a long time, either party. So I take care of myself. I don't take for granted they have my best intrests at heart because they don't.
You are trying to demonize all preppers and self sufficent as fring lunatics to further your own political agenda as most of those kinds of people don't buy the party line as you have and won't vote the way you want them to.
Just an FYI, you won't change their minds by trying to demean them.

Just relax. Getting your blood pressure up over an internet board isn't going to do you any good.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
I don't trust the current people in power. I haven't for a long time, either party. So I take care of myself. I don't take for granted they have my best intrests at heart because they don't.
You are trying to demonize all preppers and self sufficent as fring lunatics to further your own political agenda as most of those kinds of people don't buy the party line as you have and won't vote the way you want them to.
Just an FYI, you won't change their minds by trying to demean them.
Thanks, you might just have answered my question directly above - why people who think Preppers = Doomers and that prepping is "silly" (except for weather-related events, of course! ), hang out on a Preparedness Forum? They are trying to change our way of thinking! They are 'proselytizing' for converts to a liberal, urban mindset, by jeering and name-calling anyone who feels differently than they'd like. Why didn't I think of that?? It was as plain as the "smack" on my face! So thanks for the answer!

PS: No wonder they feel such hostility toward those of us who won't budge an inch!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
My opinion is that a prepper has a small gasoline generator, a pantry with a few days or weeks supplies of food, and lots of toilet paper and bleach; a doomer has a farm built on Amish principles and permaculture, tons of grain and beans, and they crap into composting toilets; a survivalist has a bug-out vehicle and a bunker loaded with canned goods, water, weapons, ammunition, rabid attack dogs, and assault wheelbarrows ..... they use latrines.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:02 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,471 times
Quote:
My politics on this are limited, I don't trust the current people in power. I haven't for a long time, either party. So I take care of myself. I don't take for granted they have my best intrests at heart because they don't.
Yet you keep talking about the nobility in Western Europe being the overlords of the dumb people who blindly follow them. You keep talking about how free we are. At the same time you display basic lack of knowledge of political systems anywhere else - all of which in Western Europe are parliamentary democracies with representatives elected from multiple parties where money input into the politics is severely limited by laws. So, which one is it? Are we free or are we ruled by two corrupt parties that "you don't trust" and their corporate overlords?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
My opinion is that a prepper has a small gasoline generator, a pantry with a few days or weeks supplies of food, and lots of toilet paper and bleach; a doomer has a farm built on Amish principles and permaculture, tons of grain and beans, and they crap into composting toilets; a survivalist has a bug-out vehicle and a bunker loaded with canned goods, water, weapons, ammunition, rabid attack dogs, and assault wheelbarrows ..... they use latrines.
Composting toilets are disgusting. I'll take my septic system and clean water from my well which needs no treatment. As I have a water windmill, I'll always have water unless the well runs dry.

I have two small gasoline generators to backup my diesel. There a fuel store for both. I have plenty of canned goods and similar as well as some grains and beans. There's a nearby stream with a decent riparian environment. The area has a low population density by my standards, 4 per sq. mi. I'm 120 miles from a city of 100k, almost 500 miles from anything anywhere near as large or larger.

I'm looking for race riots in the cities. The rioters know that Obama will on their side so they won't need to worry about local or state interference. There could be a civil war. Suitcase nukes seem a good possibility as well. Most likely targets are NYC and Washington. Fallout would be exiguous.

I don't dread the prospect. The country needs cleansing.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,002 times
You just cant buy this kind of stuff.....comic gold.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:16 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
When the truckers find it unsafe to deliver supplies to cities and the denizens come pouring out, what then? NY, NJ & CT have declared themselves to be victim zones with their firearms laws. The to safest states according to the FBI are Maine and Vermont. There are many practical books on preparedness and self sufficiency. The folks who prepare are not crazy. They are just planners. Go ahead, live out of a deli a day at a time. What happens when the bridges close? Got a boat?

The federal government just bought 250,000 bug out bags for federal reserve employees and for top employees of large banks. They contain 3 days of food, socks, a rain poncho, map, compass and basic meds. There is room for water bottles. The government did that for a reason. They also bought enough PISTOL ammunition to kill 1/3 of the people on the planet.

There is a good book called "One Second After". The forward is by Newt Gingrich. The book is a good read. It is worth your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness