Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,590,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I will venture to suggest a few possibilities: a) debt, b) a person loves what they do and c) health insurance and lifestyle preservation.

My guess is 98% of Americans don't quit because of a) and c).

Even when you love what you do - you still would like to travel and see places or just take a vacation. Nothing wrong with that.
Some people are content with a week or two of vacation every year. Others seem to think an expensive trip is a necessity whenever there's a three day weekend. The poster you cite seems to refer to travel the way I would refer to investing.

all sorts of people own businesses. Let's look at this example. A man who was in retail management (great profession) leaves and becomes a successful entrepeneur. Listen to the interview.

There are all sorts of ways to earn a living.

Ep 51 - Interview with Chris Cullen (Catie's Bubbles) - BrushnSoapnBlade ? Wet Shaving Podcast ? Where we look forward to shaving every day! | podcast garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,244,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
All of Julia Child's books and videos belong in every survivalist's library. These two should be first. There's an extensive sample for one of the Kindle editions so you can see just how good the information is. It's worth noting that Julia Child, a strong proponent of butter, lived to be almost 92.

It's important that we live the most pleasant lives possible; Julia Child makes it easy. Her works have revolutionized American cooking. I've heard rave reviews of Carla Emery's books for years; some will certainly benefit from them. However, everyone can benefit from these. Besides, I'd rather just pick my asparagus and rhubarb without the need of the time and labor to grow them. As I said above, I'm lazy.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (2 Volume Set): Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, Simone Beck: 9780307593528: Amazon.com: Books
Mom and I never missed her show and had both books. I'm not sure if we ever tried a recipe as she described, but sure learned a lot about seasoning and the like. And the sheer joy of it for her made us enjoy it too.

Books won't tell you how to cook if all you ever do is the recipe, but the wonderful part is learning about how to experiment and have great success.

I loved the movie about the woman who vowed to prepare each of the dishes in her books and got to meet her hero. I think Meryl Strep starred.

I'll turn on the food shows sometimes when I'm out of ideas and just watch for a while and never make the same thing but draw all my inspiration from them.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:18 PM

76 posts, read 70,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why don't you quit? If you do what you love a vacation won't be necessary or even desirable.
It's almost impossible to make a good living selling honest meat in the United States. Farms are about generational land wealth and bipartisan subsidies, not good ole' hard workin' entrepreneurship.

Take out all farming subsidies, start over with an honest playing field, and I'd quit my job tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,590,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofitall View Post
It's almost impossible to make a good living selling honest meat in the United States. Farms are about generational land wealth and bipartisan subsidies, not good ole' hard workin' entrepreneurship.

Take out all farming subsidies, start over with an honest playing field, and I'd quit my job tomorrow.
You'd find another excuse.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:15 PM

400 posts, read 413,794 times
If Happy in Wyoming thinks I am cruel to my free range mean rooster, he is a dingbat. I tolerate this bird because the hens like him. I will NOT allow him to rend my flesh, however. And, in a SHTF situation, the rooster will allow fertile eggs, when set on, to result in more chickens.

The broodiness has been bred out of most modern chicken breeds. I have several hens that do get clucky and have to be locked up until the family mood wears off. The Shadow Chicken is such a one. She is a Copper Maran. So is Blackbird, a Black Wyandott. Having a rooster and broody hens is a form of preparedness. A hen with chicks is also highly entertaining.

Last edited by Elk Wallow; 06-15-2015 at 04:30 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,570,374 times
Best cure for a mean or aggressive rooster is Sunday Dinner

When I was a little kid, probably around 3, one of our roosters made the mistake of attacking me when my great grandmother was around to see it.

My mother said she came in from the fields and there was this lovely chicken dinner all ready with fresh biscuits and homemade gravy. She didn't know where the fixin's came from as she didn't have any chicken in the freezer.

Soon found out though.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:13 PM

He is my only rooster. The hens like him. Happy hens lay more eggs. Not only that, I am a vegetarian. The rooster stays. COme to think of it, once a hawk was sitting on the roof of the hen yard. All the hens were hiding in the henhouse. The ROOSTER was out there to do battle. Fortunately, the hawk flew away.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:26 AM

37,440 posts, read 61,337,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Financially, I am confident gardening and animal husbandry for independence is a loosing proposition (food is both cheap and plentiful here in the US), however, the skill set developed from gardening and animal husbandry is not.
The Commercial food industry in the USA, has a finely tweaked 'Economy Of Scale' and Farm Subsidies on it's side. Which makes their food cheap and plentiful.

Trying to compete against that is an uphill struggle.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:33 AM

37,440 posts, read 61,337,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
If Happy in Wyoming thinks I am cruel to my free range mean rooster, he is a dingbat. I tolerate this bird because the hens like him. I will NOT allow him to rend my flesh, however. And, in a SHTF situation, the rooster will allow fertile eggs, when set on, to result in more chickens.

The broodiness has been bred out of most modern chicken breeds. I have several hens that do get clucky and have to be locked up until the family mood wears off. The Shadow Chicken is such a one. She is a Copper Maran. So is Blackbird, a Black Wyandott. Having a rooster and broody hens is a form of preparedness. A hen with chicks is also highly entertaining.
We have spent a lot of effort trying to get poultry to produce their next generation.

We have a flock of silkies, that produced chicks last week. The silkie hens are still firmly brooding.

Among today's chores, I will steal all the eggs from our RIRs, wyandotts and turkeys, and put them under the silkies. See if we can get some of these other birds to be raised by a hen, rather than raised by a heat-lamp.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 AM

I had a white silky hen who would roll little green apples together and try to hatch them. I also used them to raise exotic pheasants.
Be careful that your double clutching hens don't loose too much weight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness