Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long would you last bugging out?
days 14 20.90%
weeks 7 10.45%
months 7 10.45%
years 12 17.91%
decades 17 25.37%
unsure 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times

Advertisements

I was an Econ major for a long time. Took every course required for a degree except for that foreign language block. The financial collapse of 2007-2010 hit me in the worst way possible. Most of my money has been spent on preparing for an uncertain future.

Part of me thinks that I would be fine. Part of me knows that I have either forgotten or overlooked something quite important.

All you really need is food, water, shelter, a livable temperature, and a means to protect yourself.

Easy to fantasize about "Road Warrior" gangs of ruthless survivalists but quite unlikely from a historical viewpoint. When governments collapse, the best commodities have been cigarettes and whiskey. So.....things hardly ever get that bad.

Solar flare/EMP strike? Now that is a big bag of worms that best not be opened. We are woefully unprepared for losing the power grid.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 06-15-2015 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 06:47 PM

749 posts, read 852,626 times
I had to vote 'unsure' because I'm not really certain how folks here would react, beyond eating all the tourists first. The biggest danger I think would be folks hoarding the medicines so when illnesses started spreading only the small group with the meds would survive.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:58 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
^^^ Best post yet!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I was at my survival retreat and had the ability to survive by 1975. People who wait to ''bug out'' until they are forced to do so leave themselves exposed to chance.

I was once reading a ''survival'' forum'' on which posters were comparing government facilites in northern California suburbs. People of that sort won't survive anything for long.

Survivalism is a way of life that encompasses everything. Those who cling to their cities and to society can't begin to comprehend this.
Human being do not survive very long by going solo like Mad Max. From the dawn of our species, we came together to form clans, villages, towns, cities, and then empires. Humans formed into collectives, worked together, specialized, and most of all defended each other, had each other's back. It makes everything more efficient. Better efficiency means better survival.

The best thing to do in SHTF is to form a small team at first, and try to rebuild civilization, expanding as you do. Hopefully all those college degrees will be good for something.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM

605 posts, read 491,237 times
Days or decades.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 21,035 times
Quote:
I was an Econ major for a long time. Took every course required for a degree except for that foreign language block. The financial collapse of 2007-2010 hit me in the worst way possible. Most of my money has been spent on preparing for an uncertain future.

Part of me thinks that I would be fine. Part of me knows that I have either forgotten or overlooked something quite important.

All you really need is food, water, shelter, a livable temperature, and a means to protect yourself.

Easy to fantasize about "Road Warrior" gangs of ruthless survivalists but quite unlikely from a historical viewpoint. When governments collapse, the best commodities have been cigarettes and whiskey. So.....things hardly ever get that bad.

Solar flare/EMP strike? Now that is a big bag of worms that best not be opened. We are woefully unprepared for losing the power grid.
I doubt it, people, americans, are selfish as all hell. That's been my experience... We also have a hostile federal government mind you... But ANYWAYS, I don't think anything like the dollar collapsing has happened before and also, not in such a country in which people are so domesticated... That said, I fully believe that the Mad Max scenario will happen. People won't be able to survive so they will form groups in order to survive and with no resources around people will be killing/exploiting each other. Perfect situation for social darwinistic gangsterism to set in. Which has always been part of human nature. Just look at all the warmongers and apathetic people around you...

Old 06-16-2015, 08:39 PM

22 posts, read 21,035 times
But to respond to the OP, with me being diabetic and having low energy levels due to eating cruddy industrialized food... I don't count on surviving until I can cure myself... Till then, I'd just hope for a fast death...

Old 06-17-2015, 06:38 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Its a crap shoot no matter how well you are prepared.

Aggesiveness and a lack of empathy for strangers in all things will rule the day. That might be the hardest thing for modern people to learn. Many in the lower uneducated strata of society might have a better go at things during the first year or two where the masks of civilization that most wear are less.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lol longer than most

I agree, longer than most.

depending on conditions, supplies and potential problems, then I would say at least a few years or more.

if the question of the OP means that perfect conditions exist when SHTF, then 5 years or more, but nothing is ever perfect.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:10 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,090 times
Depends on the event, as already stated. I do intend to last considerably longer than the folks caught on the 95th floor of WTC Tower# 1 at 8:46 A.M. on Semptember 11th, 2001, if I can get a little luck in the event department.

I am a good carpenter, plumber, electrician, a fair mechanic, machinist, equipment operator, an excellent shooter with a lot of different systems, raise much of my own food and know how to raise all of it. Know how to store most of it, too. We'll see, I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness