Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long would you last bugging out?
days 14 20.90%
weeks 7 10.45%
months 7 10.45%
years 12 17.91%
decades 17 25.37%
unsure 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times

Advertisements

Way too much Mad-Maxx fantasies living in some folks minds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 AM

400 posts, read 412,932 times
How long does it take to die from lack of dietary fat? When people just live on trout and salmon, they eventually get sick and die from a nutritional disorder. Deer meat has not very much fat. One meat that IS fat especially at certain times of the year is bear. I am pretty isolated in a coastal mountain forest area. Locals have already planned what bridges to blow (wink) to keep out the California hordes.

But fishing is cheap and quiet and doesn't require ammo. What about high fat sea foods, such as sea urchin roe?

Last edited by Elk Wallow; 06-27-2015 at 11:56 AM..

Old 06-28-2015, 01:09 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,918,985 times
Ever eaten sea urchin roe? Sort of like eating fishy smelling yellow snail snot. I think I'd rather die...

Old 06-28-2015, 04:11 PM

The sea urchin gonads are not yellow, they are orange. Orientals eat them, but then, they eat anything.

This looks like a pretty good book> https://books.google.com/books?id=Pl...encies&f=false

Last edited by Elk Wallow; 06-28-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 05:16 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,459,924 times
I don't know anything about sea urchin gonads. I do know that birds and mammals are mighty tasty! If you're planning to bug out in semi-starvation mode, you should learn about the birds and mammals in your area (or whatever area you'll be in). Know how to spot and ID tracks, scat, rubs, calls. Watch some vids on how to clean out game of the type you'll be hunting. Fishing is another way to get quality protein. Stock up on tackle and lures; learn how to run a trot line and use a cast-net for bigger catches.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:24 AM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I don't know anything about sea urchin gonads. I do know that birds and mammals are mighty tasty! If you're planning to bug out in semi-starvation mode, you should learn about the birds and mammals in your area (or whatever area you'll be in). Know how to spot and ID tracks, scat, rubs, calls. Watch some vids on how to clean out game of the type you'll be hunting. Fishing is another way to get quality protein. Stock up on tackle and lures; learn how to run a trot line and use a cast-net for bigger catches.
Bears are a great resource for fat. Bear Grease is easy to eat and digest, does wonders for leather, makes your skin nice and soft, heals wounds, makes the flakiest pie crust ever, and serves pretty well as oil for a lamp.

One bear can give you 50lbs + of rendered grease, (fall bear, Spring bears have used their fat in hybernation).

Some fish like salmon and trout have a lot of oil, if you leave the skin on instead of flileting, and have enough oil to offset protein poision.

Buffalo are another great source of fat. Deer, Elk, and Moose can have quite a bit of fat, but some of it can taste pretty nasty.

Birds and small game usually don't have much fat, with the exception of animals like possum, beaver and marmot, (woodchuck/groundhog), but you have to know these things going in.
Rabbits don't have a lot of fat and can cause Rabbit Starvation, (protein poisioning) if you don't have some form of fat to eat with the meat.

So fry that jackrabbit up in a pan of bear grease, and you have nutrition and a tasty meal

Old 06-29-2015, 08:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Folks in avocado country can obtain fat easily. Nuts are a good source of fat as well.

Fat content of nuts

Let's not forget the good old acorn.

Fat content of nuts

Old 06-29-2015, 10:01 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,459,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Birds and small game usually don't have much fat
Geese do!

When we cook a goose, it's just dripping with fat! We save it and keep it in a jar for use with other foods!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:11 AM

6,753 posts, read 8,540,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Geese do!

When we cook a goose, it's just dripping with fat! We save it and keep it in a jar for use with other foods!
Domestic geese and ducks yes, wild, not as much.

I hunt wild ducks a lot, and have taken some Canadian Honkers and Brant's, as well as snow geese. Pretty lean. I usually have to include some bacon fat to keep the meat from drying out with them.

Grouse, wild turkey, partridge, even doves are pretty lean meat.

Domestic goose grease is great for a lot of uses, so I don't blame you for saving it

Old 06-29-2015, 10:42 AM

I know how to track and fish and all that... Here's the dietary disorder I was thinking of- MTS mentioned it- Protein Poisoning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation I have heard of prospectors in the Sierra Nevada got sick and even died of eating nothing but trout, as they were so easy to catch.

Last edited by Elk Wallow; 06-29-2015 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness