Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long would you last bugging out?
days 14 20.90%
weeks 7 10.45%
months 7 10.45%
years 12 17.91%
decades 17 25.37%
unsure 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:37 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,601,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
darn, I was looking forward to seeing lots of men walking around in assless chaps.
your thinking of "the village people"!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I understand where HiW is coming from. if a person is not willing or able to protect themselves in a WROL or SHTF situation, then they had better be willing to hand over their preps and other gear to the 1st government agent or looter that comes to their door knocking.

to those sheep that believe that a person does not need firearms to protect themselves from any kind of looters, then when those looters point a firearm at you, you should be able to aim one back at them, otherwise you will be just handing them your gear and supplies when they come calling.
there are many ways of arming ourselves that don't involve "battle" rifles, many of the silent variety, its not going to be all about "shoot first and ask questions later", in fact the WROL element of any SHTF event wont last very long. as I have said before the circumstances and how to survive them will be quite different here in the UK to how it will be in the US, our population don't have the pioneer history that you have in the US and the sheeple here will act very differently to how yours will.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
[quote=bigpaul;40508781. as I have said before the circumstances and how to survive them will be quite different here in the UK to how it will be in the US, our population don't have the pioneer history that you have in the US and the sheeple here will act very differently to how yours will.[/quote]

Agree! Besides a gun in the hands of untrained person is useless and poses more of a danger to all in the group! So get training...

Old 07-23-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Agree! Besides a gun in the hands of untrained person is useless and poses more of a danger to all in the group! So get training...
or don't be anywhere near such a person!! especially post SHTF.

Last edited by bigpaul; 07-23-2015 at 05:24 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
or don't be anywhere near such a person!! especially post SHTF.

Yep!

Reason I've never done a "Black Friday".... These are the types you'll be facing when SHIF mentality ~~ .....

Old 07-23-2015, 12:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Anyone who's seen a few movies (apart from those showing a gun held sideways) knows how to sight a gun and pull the trigger. That's really it except for knowing the position of the safety, magazine release, etc. on an auto. The ''American Rifleman'' in its Armed Citizen column has detailed hundreds of anecdotes about shooters with little or no training successfully defending themselves. The Hungarian freedom fighters for the most part had never held a gun before the uprising, but they did a very credible job.

We've all heard the old adage about cooking rabbit stew, to wit, first catch a rabbit. It applies to guns (and most other things) as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Besides a gun in the hands of untrained person is useless and poses more of a danger to all in the group!
Not so fast.

The state of Maine just passed a concealed carry law that requires NO permit (I have a CCW anyway, and will keep it). Glad to see freedom making a comeback! Anyway, this means that anyone who can legally buy a firearm (most people) will be entitled to carry that firearm either concealed or openly. There are no longer any training or practice requirements. If you can buy it, you can carry it (which is as it should be).

The good thing about this in Maine is that most folks in the rural areas have places on their own land, or on a neighbor's land, where they can set up a shooting range, We have such a setup toward the back of our land. I cannot imagine anybody, with a new sidearm - or a family arm handed down - wasting much time in putting some rounds through it! How can they resist? This activity constitutes 'training' and 'practice' and will make the shooter faster and more accurate. It also provides good opportunity to learn how to take the gun down for cleaning and maintenance.

In Maine, you can now carry virtually any type of knife, openly or concealed. If crime up here wasn't almost non-existent anyway, I'd predict that crime would drop! Maine - The Way Life Should Be! (motto).

Old 07-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Not so fast.

The state of Maine just passed a concealed carry law that requires NO permit (I have a CCW anyway, and will keep it). Glad to see freedom making a comeback! Anyway, this means that anyone who can legally buy a firearm (most people) will be entitled to carry that firearm either concealed or openly. There are no longer any training or practice requirements. If you can buy it, you can carry it (which is as it should be).

The good thing about this in Maine is that most folks in the rural areas have places on their own land, or on a neighbor's land, where they can set up a shooting range, We have such a setup toward the back of our land. I cannot imagine anybody, with a new sidearm - or a family arm handed down - wasting much time in putting some rounds through it! How can they resist? This activity constitutes 'training' and 'practice' and will make the shooter faster and more accurate. It also provides good opportunity to learn how to take the gun down for cleaning and maintenance.

In Maine, you can now carry virtually any type of knife, openly or concealed. If crime up here wasn't almost non-existent anyway, I'd predict that crime would drop! Maine - The Way Life Should Be! (motto).

Please understand I'm not against guns and believe it's a right & privilege but needs be earn, through proper handling and training, the understanding of it's function, care etc, etc! People kill and people will use any method available to them to get the job done...My point really has more to do with untrained people and this would include their state of mind as well... Some folks are just liability...

Old 07-23-2015, 05:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Please understand I'm not against guns and believe it's a right & privilege but needs be earn, through proper handling and training, the understanding of it's function, care etc, etc! People kill and people will use any method available to them to get the job done...My point really has more to do with untrained people and this would include their state of mind as well... Some folks are just liability...
Rights are either inherent and unalienable or they are not rights. We don't need training to exercise freedom of speech or assembly, to refuse to incriminate ourselves, or any other others. The right to keep and bear arms is a right just the same as the others.

Welcome Mainers, We finally have a state in the middle of the alphabet to join Alaska, Arizona. Arkansas, Vermont, and Wyoming.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Rights are either inherent and unalienable or they are not rights. We don't need training to exercise freedom of speech or assembly, to refuse to incriminate ourselves, or any other others. The right to keep and bear arms is a right just the same as the others.

Welcome Mainers, We finally have a state in the middle of the alphabet to join Alaska, Arizona. Arkansas, Vermont, and Wyoming.
I agree, but where I part is when it comes to someone who untrained and unstable...These type have made it bad for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness