Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
In Maine, there are so many ATV trails and sledding trails, that you can start at your property line and ride all the way down to the coast legally, enjoy the day at the beach, and ride home again!
With over 16,000 miles of sled trails, every town, every scenic view is linked in the trail network. The most direct route between any two points is always via sled trail [paved roads can only cross rivers, lakes, ponds at a bridge, sled trails do not have that requirement].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:44 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Look at East Texas, southwest Arkansas, northern Louisiana. Moderate temps, no arguments about living off-grid, no one looking over your shoulder. And no ZONING.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:04 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Can you share your findings please?

So far the only two places we have considered are New Mexico and (West) Virginia. Going back to Florida is also an option but too many people there these days.

Like I shared earlier we didn't look at much east of the Mississippi.

We liked the area around Baker City OR; Roseburg, OR; Oroville, WA; Whidbey Island, WA; Bellingham, WA; the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Terrace, BC; Silver City, NM, Several areas in MO and NE. We ended up in the glacial hills of KS near a college town for a multitude of reasons using our own cost benefits ratio, not the least of consideration that mom needs help on the farm and most of the aforementioned places are too far away for regular visits.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:11 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
With over 16,000 miles of sled trails, every town, every scenic view is linked in the trail network. The most direct route between any two points is always via sled trail [paved roads can only cross rivers, lakes, ponds at a bridge, sled trails do not have that requirement].
Is there a map for this? About 15 years ago I had a chance to buy two properties way up along the coast. I was talked out of it. I wouldn't like the winters up there, but they'd have been a decent nest egg in the future.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 PM

124 posts, read 178,788 times
Here is a listing of a property that I like. Gives an idea what I'm looking for.

Could I possibly find a place like this that also has mild winters, just asking.
423 Gilmore Brook Road, Eagle Lake, ME 04739 | MLS 1147178 | Maine Real Estate | Legacy Properties Sotheby's International Realty

Old 07-09-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Look at East Texas, southwest Arkansas, northern Louisiana. Moderate temps, no arguments about living off-grid, no one looking over your shoulder. And no ZONING.
But can you farm on the land? Everyone says it is too rocky and sandy.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its said Washington state has many locations with many people living as such. There are also such places in western and southern Texas.Had friend who owned a place in south Texas near Devils Fork River one of most pure in US. Just make sure you have access rights because it took about a hour once we left highway and went thru many properties and bump gates. Nice thing was there were several thousand acres of unknown ownership nearby they all hunted and fished. saw creatures I'd never seen there and you have to be every careful as no medical nearby and cells didn't work.he had a ham set tho and sheriffs nearby monitored. He did leave much as Mexicans traveling thru broke in a couple of times.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:44 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Is there a map for this? About 15 years ago I had a chance to buy two properties way up along the coast. I was talked out of it. I wouldn't like the winters up there, but they'd have been a decent nest egg in the future.
ITS Trail Map

ITS maintains some trails and has maps of their trails, about 6,000 miles.

Then regional clubs handle the remaining 10,000+ miles.

Regional/Local Trail Maps

MapRoom: Maine Snowmobile Trails

SLEDMAINE / Trail Maps

http://www.northcountryrivers.com/wp...2/ITSMap-1.pdf

Snowmobiling: State Parks and Public Lands: Maine ACF

Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
But can you farm on the land? Everyone says it is too rocky and sandy.
You can farm in East Texas for sure. However, coming from a Manhattan condo, you will be in for a hell of a culture shock. East Texas is a funny place.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
You can farm in East Texas for sure. However, coming from a Manhattan condo, you will be in for a hell of a culture shock. East Texas is a funny place.
I'm not exactly coming from a Manhattan condo, as the studio apartment has been my pied-a-Terre for decades.
Out of all the places I lived in my life, that studio was always consistent in my life. It was my first place, first piece of real estate I purchased, and I could never give it up. I let friends stay there instead of them paying for a hotel room. It's a nice tiny little crash pad whenever I come to nyc.

I'm quite familiar with rural life, and feel this lifestyle would be an adjustment, but not a shock. A lot of research, thought, prayer, and consideration has gone into this decision wayyyyy before I posted this thread on City Data.

Today I am looking into Mississippi, just snooping around LandWatch seeing what I find. Anyone have information regarding Mississippi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness