Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 AM

67 posts, read 59,750 times

Advertisements

Ok Best state/province/area for homesteading with these factors

-Weather for growing food and raising animals
-Regulations, laws, taxes, other govt interferences
-people/culture
-jobs
-land prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
The answers to this question will be as varied as the person answering. The correct answer for you will wholly depend on what you need, want and can afford.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Most of the states along Canada border, imho.

Not so sure about states along Mexican border, but Texas, New Mexico and Arizona should not be overlooked.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I see this question asked many times.

Everyone has their own opinion as to what makes 'best'.

I think that the weather in most regions allow you to grow food and raise animals.

There are many places with no [or little] regulation / laws

It is getting harder to find, but there are still places with very low taxes, and low land prices.

One big problem you will find is that among your list, there is one contradiction. You cannot have low land prices, low taxes, low government regulation, and also have high paying jobs.

Where the good jobs are; pretty much defines high COL, high taxes, and micro-managing laws / HOAs.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM

Another problem that shows in these discussions is normalcy-bias.

People who grew-up and stay in a given area, will insist to their dying breath that their home-town is the best place on earth. My siblings and most of my highschool classmates all live in the same area where we were born and grew-up. 40 years later they are still there. When asked why? They will all insist that it is the best place on earth to live.

Having lived in a dozen other states/nations, my perspective is very different.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:10 PM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
Okay, educate me.

When OP says homestead.. it means to purchase land or get it free from the gov't. ?

Old 07-10-2015, 02:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandefjord View Post
Ok Best state/province/area for homesteading with these factors

-Weather for growing food and raising animals
-Regulations, laws, taxes, other govt interferences
-people/culture
-jobs
-land prices
Do your own research.

Weather- many places for growing food, but what can you tolerate/not tolerate?

Regulations- Almost nowhere is totally free of government influence these days, maybe the sea? Liberty is relative, too. What do you consider an encroachment? Gun laws, income taxes, building codes, etc.? Not all of these things matter to everyone, but some are deal breakers for others.

People/culture- VERY subjective. Are you a diversity nut, or a race bigot, or somewhere in between? Love redneck life, of need a symphony concert once a week? what works for you?

Jobs- Jobs and homesteading are not mutually exclusive, but most homesteading occurs in less regulated, less populated areas. These are not where the jobs are. What kind of jobs? Farm work for low wages, stock trading for high wages, or what point in between? Again, depends on what you want/need.

Land prices- There are CHEAP places, and EXPENSIVE places, and everything in between. Land for homesteading is generally not the cheapest in a given area, unless you want that rock pile for farming rattlesnakes. But you don't need 250 acres on the edge of Jackson Hole, either. Some folks think 1000 dollars an acre is high, others are comfortable paying 10,000 or more. What is your comfort zone?

Again, do your own research. If you make a move based on someone else's opinion, you stand a good chance of being unhappy. We are all different, and have different needs and wants. No one can be a good substitute for your own research and opinions. Google, City-Data(both the state forums and the data section), State websites, climate data, jobs and economic data, and more, are all at your fingertips to help you find what's right for you. You just have to make the effort. I promise, it will help you a lot more than asking me...

Old 07-11-2015, 10:04 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Okay, educate me.

When OP says homestead.. it means to purchase land or get it free from the gov't. ?
There is NO more free land from the government.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
There is NO more free land from the government.
True.

However there are places with lush forest, where you can buy land for hundreds an acre, and where taxes are $1 an acre, with water frontage.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 AM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
Lush forest for $100?

Not trying to be a smart aleck, really, but where, who, is giving away land for 100 dollars?
(Other than Siberia)

And waterfront for $1 ?? Oh you tease.. where?

I had a friend who bought very cheap desert land, sight unseen, off grid, but it was too barren to live on. (Not the brightest bulb...)
Fortunately, the government wanted it and made an offer a few years later and they were glad to reconcile their mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness