Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times

Advertisements

Daily Express today. " the popularity of city dwelling means half of adults have never been in a meadow (a study showed yesterday). one in 10 ADULTS think cows produce McNuggets, mutton and eggs. incredibly 10% of people polled did not realise animals such as Otters, Hedgehogs, Deer and Sheep were found in the British countryside. some had no idea the corn we eat grows in a field ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
some had no idea the corn we eat grows in a field .
Clearly a result of 'dumbing down'. No wonder they call the UK a "nanny state"!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Clearly a result of 'dumbing down'. No wonder they call the UK a "nanny state"!
yes, I was at a country fair a couple of years ago and there was a calf in a pen, the guy next to me said "ah! a goat!" its all I could do to not burst out laughing...

Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
We could find people of this sort in.any country. Rural people might know more or they might not. I once encountered a specimen, a self-described ''experienced outoorsman, hunter, and trapper'' who told me he wasn't stupid enough to believe that otter preyed on beaver, He told me that I needed to get out of the city. It was one of the few times in my life that I was speechless. Truly, there are boobs everywhere.

There are many who are stupid and lack knowledge of everything. Their information comes from entertainment (including ''news'') media. While we're rambling in forest, field, and desert they're performing behind large windows at gyms or parked before a television set. These people have likely never seen a living sheep, otter, or hedgehog. If they've been in a zoo they've likely walked with eyes straight ahead hardly looking at the animals. I could probably show them a picture of a horse and tell them it's a hedgehog.

The aforesaid notwithstanding, I've met many who live in cities who are interested in learning about life, particularly wildlife, outside of those cities. They're usually interested in the rest of the natural world as well. They're always successful people.

I wouldn't be at all concerned with the dullards if it weren't for the fact that they're allowed to vote.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 AM

it has been said that most people in Britain are 4 generations removed from the land, we do have some hikers and ramblers and the bushcraft types but they are a very small minority compared to the population in general. I do feel that in a SHTF event that most of the population will not have the skills or knowledge or even the "common" sense to enable them to survive (especially if they cant tell the difference between a calf and a goat!!). the general opinion here is that the "die off" will be huge if a life changing event were to occur. its not these idiots voting that worries me but that they are breeding and passing on their stupidity to their offspring.

Last edited by bigpaul; 07-25-2015 at 06:03 AM..

Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I wouldn't be at all concerned with the dullards if it weren't for the fact that they're allowed to vote.
...and we're living with the results of that right now!

Wonder what "improvements" they have in store for us for 2016???

Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 AM

we had our election in May, we are stuck with our lot for the next 5 years.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:40 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
meh. Daily Express, Daily Mail - believe them at your own peril. They have regular features to help you get heartburn over your bangers. One was that the European Union was demanding fishermen wear hairnets. Wan ker bait.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:45 AM

please yourself, but I KNOW how stupid a lot of my fellow Brits are, and this story is entirely plausible and believable, people are stupid, and the further they get from their roots the more stupid they get.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:59 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
When I read a post from a big city poster, it's obvious that they have never been to the real country by some of their comments. When you question them about being out of the city, some say they have never been outside of the city limits, or they say they have extensive traveling only to find that they traveled from one large city to another large city. Some even think that the country is where the houses are more then 100 feet apart. They have no idea what the country is.

When I read a thread that asks "why don't people just take mass transit instead of owning a car" or "what do people need firearms for", or " why not just walk to the store or ride a bike", I know they are just metro locked people with little or no experience in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness