Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 05:28 PM

286 posts, read 261,161 times

Advertisements

(ala Naked and Afraid tv show)
I'd take an AR, with silencer, 22 unit, luminous, and scope. Just cheat, and load most of the 223 ammo with black powder, for ease of starting fires. :-) All you have to do to access the powder is kneel, use both hands on the cartridge, brace the bullet tip against a big rock, etc and force the bullet sideways, until the case neck ruptures and the gunpowder falls out. The show's producers would never know the difference between normal smokeless powder and black powder. BP will ignite from just a spark and burns really hot! if you've got a halfway decent pile of wood shavings and some fuzz sticks, 1/2 of the bp contained in a 223 rd would start a fire for you, in some really wet conditions.

I'd choose a 100 rd drum-mag for the 223, cause it would make a great container. You could rip the ejection port cover off if the gun, haft it and sharpen it as your knife. Have a sling made out of woven 550 cord, so that you can unravel it and use 1-2 of the little cords as a sling Then the rest of the cord can then be used for all the other things for which you need cordage,

Instead of starving, trying to make simple stuff with almost nothing, far better to have an advanced method of feeding yourself, off of which you can also scavenge needed stuff, without unduly affecting the advanced item. For foraging, not having rapidfire 223, (ie, you cannabalized the magazine) so what? Nearly all of foraging is better done with the silenced.22 anyway.

With that much cordage, you can quickly make fish traps, matts for clothing/shelter, traps, etc. With plenty of food, lots of other stuff become much less important. You would not need to be scared of critters, could easily make repeated fires, have a container, cordage, cutting tool, combustion device, and in nearly all situations, easily make the "cover' part of the 5 "c's" of survival, on top of having THE foraging device.

The magazine spring can be cut and sharpened, made into fish hooks, needles, etc. The scope's lenses will focus the sun for starting fires, too. Depending upon how much ammo they'd let you have, you can shoot a lot of fish, frogs, mud turtles, lizards, birds. etc. If I was limited to the magful (100 rds) of 223 and just one 30 rd mag of .22lr ammo. I'd settle for just 30 rds of 223 and swap the remaining 2 lbs (saved by not having the weight of the 70 rds of 223 ammo) for 270 rds (same weight) of subsonic .22lr ammo. I wouldn't really care if it cycled the gun's action or not. I wouldnt care if I only had 10 "real 223 rds, with 20 more loaded with black powder (as long as I didn't have to worry about hostile people, which certainly the TV folks do not.) i could make that much ammo last for many months, if not years, and take a lot of critters. by the time i ran low on ammo, I'd have lots of traps, some "tamed" (caged) critters, edible plants moved near my abode, etc.

Last edited by zonest; 07-29-2015 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 11:14 AM

3,367 posts, read 2,850,402 times
Knife is more useful than AR. You'll need a shelter way before you'll need food or even water. You need a knife to build a shelter.

AK-47 is more reliable than AR and has attachable bayonet that is a very good knife as well...

Old 07-31-2015, 11:23 AM

286 posts, read 261,161 times
you obviously didn't read my post. The ejection port cover can form a knife. You don't need more shelter, for quite some time, than some debris pulled over you ( and shared body heat). The show never dumps naked people where it's cold, cause regardless of having a knife, they'd be all messed up in an hour or so. :-) Knife is MUCH less to be desired than a silenced AR, .22 unit, luminous sights, scope, man. You can make a knife out of rocks, etc. Try making an autorifle that way. :-) or anything that will reliably take deer to 200 yds. and less reliably take dog sized critters to 400 yds.

300 rds of .22lr will feed you for YEARS, if you also have 10 rds of 223, even if the climate IS cold. The AR will start a fire in a minute flat, too. Just pull a couple of bullets, put a bit of the unraveled cord into the muzzle, fire the "blank" vertically, and set the (then) smouldering cord on your bird nest, with the other rds' black powder inside of the nest. FOOOFFF, you'll have a flaming bird nests.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 AM

you cannot have more than 1 mag for survival in N&A... That'll be against the rules. So, choose either 100rd .22lr or 100rd of .223. I'll still prefer AK47 (AK74) to AR-15, because it's much more reliable when you cannot clean it daily (no gun cleaning supplies!).

And I did not take it serious to make knifes out of stones, or fish hooks out of mag springs... If you only can have 1 mag, then you better have all springs there working right.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:34 AM

They actually dumped one couple to Argentina's mountains where it was around 10F all the time.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:00 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,121,341 times
Your one item is actually a system consisting of multiple items, in which case my survival item will be my house.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:36 PM

Good luck carrying it with you to some remote location )

Old 07-31-2015, 03:43 PM

400 posts, read 411,887 times
How about a can opener? Can of Whoop Ass T-Shirt*|*Funny Tees*|*6 Dollar Shirts

Old 07-31-2015, 07:44 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,121,341 times
@brrabbit: These guys or someone like them can hook me up.

Buckingham Structural Moving Used Equipment For Sale - Buckingham Structural Moving Equipment

Old 08-01-2015, 11:52 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,268,945 times
Gunkid is back....

Knife for me. The best hunter gatherers in North America went bonkers over steel blades. There are a lot of good reasons for that. And I don't need a knife to get gunkid's rifle, but it makes it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness