Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 PM

67 posts, read 59,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Not true. Vaccinations aren't 100% effective for an individual. They often only reduce the risk of catching a disease by a relatively small amount. You might have a 50% chance of catching a particular disease unvaccinated, and a 35% chance vaccinated. In other words, that particular vaccine might only reduce your risk by a relatively small amount. But, it also reduces, by that same small amount, the risk to each person who might have caught the disease from you. And that effect, compounds. Those who might have caught the disease from those who might have caught it from you, have a larger reduction of risk, because the reduction compounds from one potential victim to the next. If everyone gets vaccinated, then, even though an individual's risk only seems reduced by a small amount, the risk to the whole population will be reduced drastically, because of the compounding of that small reduction of risk.

Therefore, it's a war against disease infecting the general public, not a particular individual. And failure to get vaccination makes you a traitor in that war. Your reason for getting the vaccination is not the reduction of your personal risk for a particular infection opportunity, but the reduction of the risk to the whole population. By failure to get the vaccination, you're just a much of a traitor as if you had sold nuclear weapons to Iran.

Really, a traitor? Compairing this to selling nukes to Iran, those views are skewed and you can't honestly believe what you are typing. You keep vaccinating and we wont and I guess we will die off when the next pandemic happens and you win, right? Forcing injections into people is unethical, dangerous and NAZI-like.

I fully believe you should have the right to vaccinate and I hope youndo if you feels its best for your family, but I ask the same respect for mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandefjord View Post
I fully believe you should have the right to vaccinate and I hope youndo if you feels its best for your family, but I ask the same respect for mine
If you refused to vaccinate and you or your child gave my child the disease the vaccine could/would have prevented, and my child died as a result - would it be ethical to come after you? Would you feel at all responsible?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
If you refused to vaccinate and you or your child gave my child the disease the vaccine could/would have prevented, and my child died as a result - would it be ethical to come after you? Would you feel at all responsible?
I took you off of Ignore when you gave me a rep, but I've had to wait for a reasonable post to respond to one of your posts. This is it.

The answer is that you certainly would be ethical in going after the party who did this were it not for one thing. Your child must have been unvaccinated as well or wouldn't have become ill.

You have bizarre neighbors. I've never lived anywhere where it was the custom to cough in people's faces. I do remember their noise habits, however, so perhaps it's not unexpected.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The answer is that you certainly would be ethical in going after the party who did this were it not for one thing. Your child must have been unvaccinated as well or wouldn't have become ill.
Vaccinations are only partly effective. In the war on disease, we count on everyone getting vaccinated. It's the compound effect of everyone getting vaccinated that makes vaccines so effective. They don't protect individuals nearly as well as they protect the community. So your logic is based on a fallacy.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandefjord View Post

Really, a traitor? Compairing this to selling nukes to Iran, those views are skewed and you can't honestly believe what you are typing. You keep vaccinating and we wont and I guess we will die off when the next pandemic happens and you win, right? Forcing injections into people is unethical, dangerous and NAZI-like.

Selling nukes to Iran, you make money, right? Isn't making money good? How is it different than avoiding risky vaccinations? You gain either way. What exactly does it mean to be a traitor? One who sells out? One who takes advantage of an opportunity for gain, involving putting the community at risk, on the theory that individual gain outweighs community risk?

As far as who wins and who dies, that completely misses the point. You need to read more carefully. Selling arms to the enemy in a war puts the whole community at risk, for your individual gain. It's not a game of who wins and who dies. It's a group effort to avoid putting everyone at risk of dying. The essence of treason is to value your own profit over the survival of the community. Avoiding vaccination for your own selfish purposes is exactly that.

Last edited by eok; 08-06-2015 at 02:34 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I took you off of Ignore when you gave me a rep, but I've had to wait for a reasonable post to respond to one of your posts. This is it.

You have bizarre neighbors. I've never lived anywhere where it was the custom to cough in people's faces. I do remember their noise habits, however, so perhaps it's not unexpected.
The only way a disease is eradicated is if everyone is vaccinated (or dead?). It's that simple.

The observation of people having no manners and showing up for work sick or walking around the grocery store sick and coughing without covering their mouths is my experience only. I work from home these days (for the last few years) so going to work and getting sick is not a risk for me. However, going to the grocery store is. I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone cough while walking around the store and they did not bother to cough in their sleeve or cover their mouth. I think this is mostly a cultural thing.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:35 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
why is it nobody uses a tissue or a handkerchief any more? lad serving on the till in the supermarket sneezed into his hands, then rubbed them on his trousers then carried on serving. wife reported him to management. ugh!!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
why is it nobody uses a tissue or a handkerchief any more? lad serving on the till in the supermarket sneezed into his hands, then rubbed them on his trousers then carried on serving. wife reported him to management. ugh!!
Lack of parental involvement at a young age? If your Mom/Dad are not around to teach you manners, who will? If Mom/Dad do not have any manners, well.... Yesterday we went to the grocery store in town and a father and his son walked by pushing a cart. The father coughed straight ahead with both of his hands on the cart, he did not even think that someone may be in front of him catching the germs. What do you think the son will do tomorrow?

There is another thing to consider - there are vaccines that were not available 20+ years ago but they are now, like varicella. My brother and I both have never had varicella, despite my parents efforts to put us among infected children when we were young, we were just somehow immune. In any case, fast forward 30+ years, my brother has a child now and he contracted varicella from his child at the ripe age of 47. This is in a country where they still do not have the varicella vaccine. He barely made it alive. If I had the same misfortune here, you bet I would be running to the doctor to get the CDC approved vaccine asap (not to mention my child would be vaccinated anyways). You can get it within 3-5 days of exposure and it will still be good. I bet most people who do not believe in vaccinating would do the same, faced with the prospect of serious complications from a simple and preventable disease at a ripe age. Where my brother lives, there is no such vaccine - he spent two weeks in bed, some days in the hospital and had to take a course of antibiotics for 10 days AND about 200 pills of acyclovir over the 15 day period. You tell me - what was the bigger damage? The vaccine or the 250 pills of two different medications ingested over two weeks plus radiation from X-rays and hours of waiting in the emergency room with possible complications? Not to mention missing work for so long...

Last edited by ognend; 08-06-2015 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 07:32 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
which is why I am not so surprised there are so many germs around. wouldn't take much to turn it into a full blown pandemic. which is why I have very little to do with other people these days.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
of vaccinations. In spite of the much-ballyhooed 'risks", you're safer with vaccinations. If shtf, polio, tuberculosis, diptheria, whooping-cough typhus, typhoid, hepatitis,tetanus, plague, cholera, malaria, syphilis, gonnarhea yellow-fever, genital warts, HIP, HIV, clamydia, are gonna come ROARING back. A few hundred $ spent today on such protection could easily mean everything to you. So might a few preventative masks.
Why are you posting this in a self-sufficiency forum? HTF are people supposed to manufacture vaccines if shtf? I would think genital warts coming back will be the least of anyones worries if shtf. And vaccine protection doesn't last forever. You can't dose up today so if shtf hits the fan 20 years from now you're golden. Doesn't work like that. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness