Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,118 times

Advertisements

We currently live on an island, and ships can be delayed (strikes, natural disasters, particularly rough seas, etc.), and
I am best prepped for disruption of food and other commodities.

I have bottled water for a week to two weeks - could stretch to ~4 weeks if no relief was in sight after about 72 hours (I also have water limited purification capabilities) - food stuffs, - much of it can be eaten without cooking/prep, and other commodities to make things easier - TP, Paper plates, etc. My most likely scenario is a disruption of shipping for 2-3 weeks, or hurricanes, again disrupting services for 2-3 weeks (direct hit, and I am screwed, of course).

We are moving to MT and I figured we would do the food and commodities storage (probably extended out to ~ a year), I have a back up generator for covering electricity for a couple of weeks at a time, and a water source. We will be planting fruit trees and a fairly extensive vegetable garden, but I don't think we will get to self sufficiency on food (really trying to control additives and eat better, than trying to get completely off grid/self sustaining).

This week, however, the wildfires in the area (MT, not HI) caused evac orders for my area, so I think I also need to look at a bug out plan (probably a travel trailer) as a back up plan to just living remotely with stored food stuffs and commodities (which by itself protects me from a lot of disaster/disruption scenarios).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 02:05 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,597,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My focus is also on hurricanes, but that will help me in many other situations as well.

If the SHTF, I'll need a lot of luck on my side.
luck will play a part for everyone but at least if you are prepared, even in a small way, you will have a head start on those who aren't.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
We currently live on an island, and ships can be delayed (strikes, natural disasters, particularly rough seas, etc.), and
I am best prepped for disruption of food and other commodities.

I have bottled water for a week to two weeks - could stretch to ~4 weeks if no relief was in sight after about 72 hours (I also have water limited purification capabilities) - food stuffs, - much of it can be eaten without cooking/prep, and other commodities to make things easier - TP, Paper plates, etc. My most likely scenario is a disruption of shipping for 2-3 weeks, or hurricanes, again disrupting services for 2-3 weeks (direct hit, and I am screwed, of course).

We are moving to MT and I figured we would do the food and commodities storage (probably extended out to ~ a year), I have a back up generator for covering electricity for a couple of weeks at a time, and a water source. We will be planting fruit trees and a fairly extensive vegetable garden, but I don't think we will get to self sufficiency on food (really trying to control additives and eat better, than trying to get completely off grid/self sustaining).

This week, however, the wildfires in the area (MT, not HI) caused evac orders for my area, so I think I also need to look at a bug out plan (probably a travel trailer) as a back up plan to just living remotely with stored food stuffs and commodities (which by itself protects me from a lot of disaster/disruption scenarios).
Yeah, the fires are bad over in your area this year. There was a real concern that the fire would get to the Ross Creek Cedars, but it changed direction. That would have been a horrible loss if it got in there, although they did survive the Big Burn.

Camping and hunting are big here, and lots of folks have camp trailers, which work very well for bugging out from a wildfire, but you still have a place to live and keep a lot of your stuff.

Where my cabin is there was a major fire around 150 years ago that completely burned the entire area. Since most of that area is now privately owned, most of us take care of our forests and manage them so the fire danger is much less.
I still make, and maintain, a defensible space around the cabin, just in case.

Wildfires are a real concern here. Keeping the timber maintained to remove deadfall and thin the forest so the timber is strong and healthy, having 2 ways out, having a water supply handy, using steel roof panels instead of asphalt, stone fences or walls as a barrier, all of it works to protect your home in forested areas so you don't have to run.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,154 times
Best prepared for EMP, Eastern Seaboard tsunami (canary islands land displacemwnt) New Madrid earthquake
Northwesten earthquake, Yellowstone culdera blast, astroid cluster (provided we are not ground zero, looters
gangs, ( shotgun/9mm with hollow points) partially prepared for fire, (NC woods), tornado (except direct hit)
local power outages, food shortage ( have foiled , dehydrated emergency food (1000 meals) prepper tools
equipment (general) neighborhood support team. Pet food shortage ( pet food storage) fuel shortage (not
gasoline but cooking fuel. Porta Potty with chemicals /paper. A nuclear EMP is a different animal we only can
selfishly hope we only get minimal falll out . We have gas masks and sodium iodide pills that might give some
protection plus a solar outside shower. Seychelle now has a proven radiation water filter ,but we havent purchased
them yet.

Last edited by openmike; 08-25-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 11:43 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
IMHO, "Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness" means to be ready for anything.
Yes, but "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,044 times
I'm a very modest prepper. I have 3 months of food on hand for each person in my house, an efficient generator with about 20 gallons of gas in rotation (and empty cans for another 15 if there is some warning), and about 60 gallons of fresh water (with capacity to store another 100 if there is some warning).

I figure that this will get us through most of the temporary disruptions in life for our geographical region, such as hurricanes, extended power outages, terrorist attacks in areas other than my direct vicinity, and others. I don't prep for the end of the world.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:24 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a very modest prepper. I have 3 months of food on hand for each person in my house, an efficient generator with about 20 gallons of gas in rotation (and empty cans for another 15 if there is some warning), and about 60 gallons of fresh water (with capacity to store another 100 if there is some warning).

I figure that this will get us through most of the temporary disruptions in life for our geographical region, such as hurricanes, extended power outages, terrorist attacks in areas other than my direct vicinity, and others. I don't prep for the end of the world.
Good thinking.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:41 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,597,111 times
I don't prep for "the end of the world" either, I prep for the end of the world, AS WE KNOW IT, there is a heck of a difference.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:11 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
I have been through some serious events my self and none compare to the inevitable one expected here in California .
Water is the most important prep not just for consumption but all the other things we use water for, plants and animals and washing and such.
I don't worry about it all being potable ,it all can be filtered and boiled and or distilled ,so I have it in many forms and containers.
Rice and beans and other dried goods, all stored in sealed in portioned bags and secondary bags and 5 gallon buckets, with 02 absorbers and the coolest places in the house.
a years worth of can food and other goods ,I cycle through all the time.
More importantly though I am learning aqua-ponics .
I'm not very good at it, but I'm learning.
I believe that it is prudent to be prepared for an extended event ,if things don't normalize which is more likely the case .
I have spoken with the neighbors and they all prep to some degree , some les than I and some more than I.
I have a defensive strategy for the neighborhood and a pan to retrieve water with the neighbors horses going to a lake not far away.
I am already on solar and have generators if it comes down to it . the type of event doesn't matter because there re so many variables with in a single event nothing can be over looked deliberately .

Old 08-29-2015, 10:40 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
My focus isn't on events or triggers but rather the voids.

Can I exist without an organized financial system in place be it from a natural disaster or the collapse of financial institutions? The answer is yes I can. How it comes about really means nothing to me, I just need to be prepared for the absence of financial stability regardless of why.

Can I exist my home be it destroyed by a natural disaster or hordes of invaders from mars? The answer is yes I can. How it comes about really means nothing to me, I just need to be prepared for the loss of my home regardless of why.

Can I exist without grid power be it from a natural disaster or terrorist hacking the systems? The answer is yes I can. How it comes about really means nothing to me, I just need to be prepared for the absence of grid or all electrical generation regardless of why.

The list goes on and on. Why it happened is for fantasy players. How you live without is what makes it real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness