Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,231,128 times

Advertisements

I carry different items in different vehicles and locations times of year and depending on what i am doing.I have had Trucks and Trunks loaded and unloaded with items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
For local travel, not much.
For travel any distance, like 50 miles or more from home, we often take the motorhome, so we basically have our whole house with us, complete with generator, towing the truck or a trailer with ATVs aboard.
I also have a 100 watt all mode all band amateur radio aboard, with lots of coax and the capability to put an antenna 30 feet in the air. I also have enough wire to make dipole antennas for a couple of different wave lengths.
Of course, to comply with Forest Service regulations for certain areas, I have an ax, bucket, and shovel aboard also.
I may or may not have firearms aboard, depending on where we are going.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
When I was in my 20's I used to do a lot of camping like every weekend, I',m talking about walking out in the woods when it was 0 out. I was almost hoping to get stranded somewhere because everything was in the trunk. I even had spare dog food. LOL

If you are in cold weather at bare minimum you should have a few blankets and some candles. They also make small candle lanterns available in better camping stores. That candle can make huge difference if you use it in a car.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
I keep a get home bag in my car.

Change of clothing including new shoes.
Road flares
Poncho
Medium first aid kit including various OTC medicines, sun block, super glue, various bandages, caffeine pills
A few ways to make fire
550 cord
Duct tape
Multi tool
Large pry bar/knife
Fencing pliers
Mainstay bars
Peanut butter
Oral rehydration therapy
Baby wipes
3 litters of water
Water filter
Small flashlight
Small radio
Alligator clips to charge cell phone from a car battery.
Glock 22 and two magazines.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,318 times
One basic item I have not seen listed yet is a pair of good, comfortable ankle-covering goretex boots.

Bad hair days often involve mud and broken glass. Or at least they do here in tornado alley.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:08 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
...and don't forget survival for your vehicle, as well: a jump pack (rather than just cables), an air compressor for tires, a quart of oil, a small kit of basic tools, and a working spare tire with jack. I live in snow country, and always bring a bag of road salt, a tire grip mat, folding shovel, and extendable scraper/brush.

Installed into all our vehicles are both CB and ham mobile radios.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I keep a get home bag in my car.

Change of clothing including new shoes.
Road flares
Poncho
Medium first aid kit including various OTC medicines, sun block, super glue, various bandages, caffeine pills
A few ways to make fire
550 cord
Duct tape
Multi tool
Large pry bar/knife
Fencing pliers
Mainstay bars
Peanut butter
Oral rehydration therapy
Baby wipes
3 litters of water
Water filter
Small flashlight
Small radio
Alligator clips to charge cell phone from a car battery.
Glock 22 and two magazines.
I like that! "get home bag" We keep lots of the same stuff + more blankets for those long winter nights in a Minnesota ditch I have recently added a breakdown 10/22 to the mix. I takes up very little room ...

Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
I do a lot of work out of my truck, as well as hunting and traveling long distances in sometimes dicey weather, so I have a large truckbed toolbox that is stuffed with just about any tool you would need to rebuild a vehicle or build a house including chainsaws, fire extinguisher, buckets for hauling water, come-alongs, log chains, (and chains for tires for mud and snow), irrigation shovels, several types of jacks including hi-lift, axes and hand saws.
I just bought a 3/4 inch drive socket set, and that's in my tool box too. You'd be surprized how often it comes in handy when working on tractors.

I always have extra wool blankets, a tarp and 3 man tent, and a sleeping bag rated to 0 degrees in there as well.

I always have my packs which include extra clothing, knives, food, big first aid kit, fishing equipment, wire for snares, usually some leg hold traps, signaling, fire starting and survival equipment, and because this is a dry country and I work well away from resupply, I always have a couple gallons of water.
I usually have some archery tackle in there, or some other means for obtaining game.

Sometimes it seems I live out of my truck, and many times I've had to camp at a worksite overnight for any of a number of reasons, so having everything I need is just a necessity, espcecially when it could be 20+ miles to town over 2 track goat trails to get a part or extra nails, building screws etc.

I always have some common replacement parts for my truck as well, a serpentine belt, fuel filters, a couple of universial joints for the drive line, an air compressor with tire patches, extra oil, a 5 gallon can of gas or 2, If I'm going way out in the backcountry, I include an extra fuel pump and a couple gallons of antifreeze, and a grease gun, and normally a generator with battery charger and jump box. If my battery is over 5 years old and I know I'm going into bad country, or working on equipment, I've carried an extra charged new battery.

This is a harsh country and place to live, everybody carries a survival kit in the car, especially in winter.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:16 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,231,128 times
Were i equipping for severe survival in Alaska or Canada etc i have always thought that a wooden rat trap, Large Fish hooks, preferably Treble hooks and steel wire.
Catch ground squirrels etc with the rat trap. Catch anything at all that will reach up and bite my treble hook to get the bait. Catch it the mouth a listen for the commotion and go kill it however.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times
Guns (one long and one handgun...usually a shotgun or 10/22 takedown and a 9mm pistol)
Small Tool Kit
Electrical AND duct tape
First Aid kit
Two flashlights in case one has weak batteries at the time
Emergency breakdown kit with 3 road flares and 3 triangles
3 cans of tuna fish (I swear...in water no less)
A empty milk jug for the ability to get water and store it
Road map. Handy if you have to hike out anywhere
Compass (read: road map)
Fleece Coat with removable liner and water-resistant shell
Blanket

That's pretty much it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness