Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:45 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
any pharmaceutical drug will not last for ever, once your stores are used up, depending on how long SHTF lasts, you could be left without any, what then?

It's like anything else, Paul. You do your best and hope that it will be enough. We're all going to die eventually, and some of us sooner than others, and those of us who do rely on prescription meds for survival must take into account what their maximum survival rate would be -- a Mack truck scenario notwithstanding -- and accept that fact.

GOD can (and does) heal people when He so chooses, so it's best, I find, to leave such matters in His hands. How (or when) we die, isn't nearly important as how we live, and every day we're each given is one more than we deserve.

Shalom Aleichem,

Mahrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:58 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
i'm not going to get into religion, i'm a Pagan.
as for antibiotics and pharmaceutical drugs in general, they have a shelf life of something like 5 years for antibiotics and 10 years for most other drugs, I have been told they will still work after that but their effect will be reduced as each year passes.
I have only had antibiotics maybe twice maybe 3 times in a fairly long life so I don't really see any great need for these things, I certainly don't want to take an antibiotic meant for a fish.
until the pharmaceutical industry came along we made our drugs from nature, their are natural antibiotics, and that's what we will return to once the pharmacy has been emptied, trashed and burnt to the ground!!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:34 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Search online and you will find an article that shows most prescription pills are still over 95% effective.

Hell, my family has a stock of Vicodem since before I was born! Taken a fee times over the years. Always worked!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:48 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Search online and you will find an article that shows most prescription pills are still over 95% effective.

Hell, my family has a stock of Vicodem since before I was born! Taken a fee times over the years. Always worked!
Of course, one data point constitutes proof and hence allows us to draw conclusions. Excellent science.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I get mine from Payless Pet Products. She also sells on ebay.

There is only pharma grade antibiotics. No different for fish than people, it's either pharma or not.

I currently have Zpack and Augmentin in the house.

I had a sinus infection for eighteen months and it took 14 days of cipro, 6 weeks of Augmentin, and 72 days of Zpack to cure it. No doctor on the planet would have kept me on it for that long, even though Harvard med and the NHC in the UK admit that courses of 60 days or longer are needed in some cases.. And after five hundred in doc visits and drug costs, the only way I could go was ebay.

DH had pneumonia this spring. Zpack all the way. It took 45 days.
72 days on antibiotics? 45 days for pneumonia? Good God. You need meds of a different kind. Stop playing doctor and find a competent one with a real degree. Examples like these are a reason why all meds are prescription only. Don't you think there is a reason why someone went to medical school and toiled for years? Or do you think anyone can do it?

Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I have only had antibiotics maybe twice maybe 3 times in a fairly long life so I don't really see any great need for these things
I am pretty sure when you took them you needed them and without them some concoction and prayers would not have helped much. It doesn't matter how many times you needed them, once is enough to save your sorry a**

Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I am pretty sure when you took them you needed them and without them some concoction and prayers would not have helped much. It doesn't matter how many times you needed them, once is enough to save your sorry a**
I say 3 times, twice were for (very) minor infections which would have cleared up in time but I was forced/"encouraged" to take them, I said 3 because i'm sure I was given them in hospital in 95 but I wasn't told as such.
I don't know where you get the prayers from, as for "some concoction" as you put it, we will all be glad to take such a thing when that is all there is, I know I will but I take them now regularly anyway.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Quote:
72 days on antibiotics? 45 days for pneumonia? Good God. You need meds of a different kind. Stop playing doctor and find a competent one with a real degree. Examples like these are a reason why all meds are prescription only. Don't you think there is a reason why someone went to medical school and toiled for years? Or do you think anyone can do it?
Duh, I went to the docs. Lotta good that did.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Of course, one data point constitutes proof and hence allows us to draw conclusions. Excellent science.
They tested multiple drugs over multiple years over various conditions, not "one data point."

Sorry you don't like science and prefer paranoia. There's a lot of that going around nowadays.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I personally have the utmost respect for MDs, DOs, PAs, nurses, etc. But let's not pretend they know *everything.* If you have a rare disease and see a doc about it, especially a primary physician, there is a good chance they know nothing about it.

I've had MDs who have never heard of uveitis. Others who only recognize apnea, narcolepsy and insomnia as the only possibility for of sleep disorders, one send me home with a "rash" as a kid when I really had scarlet fever, and others who use google right in front of me regarding a med or condition.

Doctors are human first. I've never found one who knew any more about my specific than they did. (Yes, i am that cocky when it comes to this subject and for good reason if you know my medical history and specific aptitudes.) I'm sure I will one day get an illness or disease that is beyond my comprehension. But I'm grateful that has not (yet) happened.

Pubmed and medical textbooks are available to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness