Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,622,376 times

Advertisements

I asked similiar one in Montana threads but here it opens up more folks unbiasedly, to give ideas all over from the southern to the northern US borders -- vs just relagating it all to just Montana's Divide only. I like Idaho's northern (& no part of WA or OR) & Colo. & NM aren't favorable either, as too close to southern chaos.

I'm in AZ & no way would I recommend AZ to live. Yes, many think it is fine & wonderful warmth/growing season here, etc. but I don't cause there's the deception of that utopian weather belief -- & it is final in my mind vs ever staying here. Trust me as AZ is going to heck, w/ Cali moving here more than ever as they can't afford Cali. So, we get the spillover & it isn't pretty or for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 08:16 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
Judging from the number of Montana plates I see here in AZ in the winter, it isn't a place I'd want to be for about 4 months a year. And that's what AZ is for, winters. Heck I just saw on TV last night "Tony Beets" the Alaska Gold miner guy, even HE lives in AZ in the winter! LOL

I agree with you regarding AZ, we have growing concerns about the Cali commies moving here and taking over. Though I do see a lot of compelling reasons to live here. (Other than the ghod awful stifling infernal heat and non stop wind.) I just wish we had some water. Personally I'd shut off the spigot tomorrow and tell Cali to go suck dust and turn AZ into paradise.

I'd say travel as you can to areas you might like and when someplace "clicks" rent a place there for a month or two and see if you really do like it. Visit in different seasons. Then buy or build a place.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
...just relagating it all to just Montana's Divide only. I like Idaho's northern (& no part of WA or OR)...
This is getting repetitive, redundant, and just plain crazy.

I recommend that you go directly to the Redoubt states, and travel all over them next summer. Too frozen up there now. Very few of us here on SS&P know anything about the area. Nobody here can advise you what to do, as you've already made up your mind. So go already, and have a look for yourself.

If I'd spent as much time bending people's ears about where to go in Maine for the past several years, I'd still be in Rhode Island! Instead, we went up, took a look around, find a few parcels we liked, and got the one we could afford. No muss, no fuss, and now we have a home.

My only recommendation to you, is to do the same. Enough about the Redoubt states!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Got to agree with Nor'Eastah, I live in a "redoubt" state, been through this both here and on the Montana board. The information isn't going to change just because you ask the same question over and over.
Time comes, you got to get your butt in the saddle and do what you dream, or it will always be just a dream.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:14 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Time comes, you got to get your butt in the saddle and do what you dream, or it will always be just a dream.
Isn't that called "the paralysis of analysis"?

Also known as, "indecision is the quickest route to insanity"!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times
What makes you a Patriot?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:34 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
Dude just buy yourself a parcel in Montana and get it over with it. Does it really matter if you're east or west of the continental divide? Better yet how about a parcel that's ON the continental divide, you could split your time between both sides depending on where you're at on your property. There are a number of parcels that are cheaply priced on the continental divide just west of helena. Of course they require a snow machine to access during winter and there is a lot of beetle killed timber ready to ignite like a tinder box inferno.

You could buy land in Yaak/Troy area. No one will find you there. Of course it's close to the border "chaos" up there. You could find some cheap land by Libby and if you're old enough the asbestos superfund site problems shouldn't bother you for at least another 20 years.

Go too far East of the divide and you'll be hoping the end of the world happens soon as it's nothing but rolling high plains.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:49 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Anyplace in the mountains of Montana away from the more built up areas is going to be a great place to live and forget that civilization exists. My biggest concern wouldn't be about which side of the divide you're on but what you have available for water and the condition of the surrounding forest (think wildfire: absolutely clear a fire break around you).

Old 02-15-2016, 01:59 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
^^^ Yes, but don't "anyplace" in the mountains of Montana cost like a half million dollars? Kind of like "anyplace in the Colorado Rockies" except a decent house with a few acres is like 4 million bucks!

Me, I want like 160 acres, a 2,200 sq ft house and 2,500 sq ft warehouse, for about $200K. Oh, and with a trout stream and maybe a guest house or two. And the nearest neighbor at least a 1/4 mile away.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:34 PM

301 posts, read 824,243 times
When I first started reading Rawles "Survival Blog" years ago I was convinced that I needed to be in the "American Redoubt" area. He had lots of property listed on his "Survival Realty" link and a lot of it was reasonably priced. Not any more - the prices have gone up & up and several of his listings are well over $1mil+. Now, I don' believe preppers are responsible for driving up the prices (lol!) but it does make the famous "Redoubt" less attainable for many. Also, I don't think it is the "end all/be all" place to be safe, self-sufficient, and to find like-minded folks. I'll go so far as to say that any of our 50 states have an area that would fit the bill. Some places better than others, of course, but I refuse to believe that the only place to be a credible & responsible prepper and be safe is in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, eastern Oregon, and eastern Washington. Maine & Michigan have as much to offer as Montana, for example. Attitude, commitment, belief, and action are more important than your GPS coordinates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness