Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 12:54 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this question on this forum since I'm assuming many of you are well-versed in how to get yourselves out of dangerous situations.

I often go hiking solo and many times my cell phone doesn't get reception but I can pick up chatter on my small ham radio. Is there a certain frequency say for example 146.020 etc.... that is recommended in case you get into a bind and need to call for help?

I'm assuming that there are probably certain frequencies for various areas, my area would be Southern Nevada.

Is there a standard nationwide frequency that is recommended for use in a "need help" situation just as 911 is a national standard phone number to dial for help?

Thx for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 01:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
The ham bands do not have any particular 'help' frequency. Or to put it in a more positive light, ALL ham frequencies are for emergencies. While you ordinarily need a ham license to speak on the air (but not to listen), in a 'help needed' situation a non-licensed person can transmit on the ham bands.

There are ham radio frequencies for emergency broadcasts, such as the National Guard, Red Cross, etc but those didn't sound like what you were asking about.

This is very different from the CB band, where Channel 9 is designated for emergencies. But CB radios do not require a license, so you don't really need an emergency to transmit on those.

Last edited by Nor'Eastah; 10-03-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
To use ham radio, you have to be licensed, in an emergency, well I doubt you'll have government agents kicking in your door. There is a national simplex frequency of 146.520, limited range. Also depending on where you are, there are mountain top repeaters that can be heard from a long distance. You can check Home for information. Also getting a basic technician license is pretty darn easy.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:57 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times
Thx for the information. Plan on getting the license in the next few months.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I'm asking this question on this forum since I'm assuming many of you are well-versed in how to get yourselves out of dangerous situations.

I often go hiking solo and many times my cell phone doesn't get reception but I can pick up chatter on my small ham radio. Is there a certain frequency say for example 146.020 etc.... that is recommended in case you get into a bind and need to call for help?

I'm assuming that there are probably certain frequencies for various areas, my area would be Southern Nevada.

Is there a standard nationwide frequency that is recommended for use in a "need help" situation just as 911 is a national standard phone number to dial for help?

Thx for any information.
Use a satellite phone. It allows you to report an emergency to the person whom you choose and no one else. As long as you don't try to call from inside a building it's about perfect. I've had one for over ten years; it has always always worked. You can buy them anonymously as well.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-06-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
If you check the ARRL Repeater Directory, and program your radio for the repeaters in your area, you will probably be able to find somebody to talk to.
Of course, as with all printed matter, there is no guarantee that the Directory is up to date, and the listed repeaters actually still exist!
The FCC does not specify any frequency as an "Emergency Channel". However, on the 2-meter band, 146.520 is considered by the Ham community as a national simplex calling frequency. Simplex means no repeater is involved, no offset, no tone, just simple transmit and receive, usually FM. Most HHTs (Hand Held Transceivers) are FM only. Larger mobile and base radios may be all mode, all band units

Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
121.5 is the universal aviation emergency frequency. It is conceivable that aircraft passing overhead might be able to receive a transmission. The term "mayday" would attract attention.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
121.5 is the universal aviation emergency frequency. It is conceivable that aircraft passing overhead might be able to receive a transmission. The term "mayday" would attract attention.
Perhaps, but the AirBand is AM where most HT ham gear operates FM. An all band all mode mobile would work but would increase the carried load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness