Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 07:04 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times

Advertisements

I broke my Samsung Galaxy S5 and the insurance company wants me to return it or pay $75. I'd like to keep the cash, but I don't really have it to waste at the moment.

Any experience here with wiping the data? There is/was info on the phone I would much prefer was not shared. I have 2 days to get the envelope in the mail. I'm considering the microwave treatment.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
I hadn't thought of the nuclear option! Good idea!

Seriously, why do you put all that personal crap on your phone? This is just an insurance company, but what if the phone were lost or stolen? And even if nothing ever happened to it, the NSA and who knows who else, already has everything that's on it. O ye of great trust! The time for OP SEC has long passed!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I broke my Samsung Galaxy S5 and the insurance company wants me to return it or pay $75. I'd like to keep the cash, but I don't really have it to waste at the moment.

Any experience here with wiping the data? There is/was info on the phone I would much prefer was not shared. I have 2 days to get the envelope in the mail. I'm considering the microwave treatment.

Thanks much.
For sure if you are using an Android phone and have a goggle account activated, all you information has long been copied and stored. However, many carriers will wipe the phone clean if they can access the internal memory. It's not to DOD specs but its pretty good for all but the best retrieval nerds. As an alternate if you can access external apps, you can run a Prime Number searcher. This will write and rewrite memory so often the old information will be long gone. (I'm also assuming you remove your memory cards and SIM (if gsm) as that's where much of your date is stored.)

The poor man's version is to just go in and delete all apps, files, etc. default to factory settings, remove SIM and memory and just take pictures/videos after pictures/videos of something until it says memory is full. Erase that memory and repeat. Do this a few time.

Be careful about suing some destructive method as it could void the insurance as they claim you abused it. A phone fried via microwaves is something they do catch and is a common excuse they use to deny a claim. For some reason, dropping a phone off the Empire State building is a acceptable accident but forgetting it's on the cover of a Healthy Choice Chicken and Rice Pilaf dinner as it goes round and round for 3 minutes 30 seconds on high is willful destruction and not covered. Dang insurance companies!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:45 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Will a heavy magnent do anything? Like it used to scramble old computer discs.

Will a reset clear or still allow recovery?

Sledgehammer? Tell the ins you dropped it...off the Empire State Bldg. ,

Old 10-05-2015, 10:48 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Darn you Rabrrita - you got my ESB idea just as I posted...

Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM

My phone looks like it was dropped from the ESB, so no worries. The claim was a neighbor grabbed the wrong phone and spiked it while pissed during a football game. Seems I might go nuclear.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:54 PM

All that aside, the screen shows nothing but the phone will turn on. I can hear the start-up sound. The home button works and it will intermittently read my fingerprint, as evidenced by the "accept" sound.

The data isn't really that sensitive to me. My wife might think otherwise. Actually, I know she will think otherwise.

Physically, the phone is useless. The screen and case look more like a taco than a phone. Damn things are tough if it will still boot up in that condition.

The SIM and SD cards are out. There is little data I have not been able to copy. My concern, errm, my wife's concern, is the pictures aren't seen by some service tech and added to his personal collection.

On second thought...I'm just going to keep it. $75 is worth not taking a chance. Thanks for the input, anyway. The G5 is good for a lot, but I doubt it swims well, especially a mile or 12 off shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness