Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:36 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
If the day comes, most Amish will want nothing to do with the rest of us.
As though they will have a choice in the matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Agreed. Clothes? I think the Neiman Marcus cocktail dress dept will probably survive the looters.
But most people would rather die than wear one. I know I would!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you and your flipping tanks! talk about a one track mind.
Since this is a clothing thread, this is probably what they meant.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I attended private schools. The entire curriculum was academic. Government schools teach many things that require no preparation or effort from teachers and have no academic value. I've heard of schools that teach teenagers how to wrap packages.

My mother taught me how to sew a button just before I left for college.
There were no private schools where I was born but we had a class where everyone (boy and girl) was taught these basic skills. We also had a class called "Territorial defence" where everyone was taught things about defending their country, how to shot with an M-48 and so on.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:19 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you and your flipping tanks! talk about a one track mind.
LOL - Think about it. If you got a tank, there will always be someone to darn your socks.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:42 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Since this is a clothing thread, this is probably what they meant.
That's a vision of the appocolypse I like!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:15 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
I'm pretty well prepared to "bug in" for up to 6 months, but my preferred option would be to fly to somewhere where it's not collapsing. Preferably with the girl in the tank top. Money talks.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
When my shirt collars start to wear through, I reverse the collars. I put elbow patches on old shirts. I don't own a darning egg. I use small glass jars. I repair canvas and leather with an old LL Bean speedy stitcher. I was at a yard sale and a lady said, "Hey, you are old. What is this?" I told her it was a sailmaker's palm for a left handed man.

She said her grandfather was left handed. She asked if I wanted it. I told her I could not use it because I am right handed and it was too small for me anyway. She said her grandfather was a short man.

My house was built in 1885. I know how they lived. We could live that way. It wasn't easy, but I am the fourth generation in my family to be married 50 years or more. I know the old ways and why they lived so long. Our eldest son will be 50 this year. He has a chance at being married 50 years. My sister is two years away from that milestone.

Most of today's young people are not interested in our history and heritage. I am teaching this weekend at a Project Appleseed event in Monmouth, Maine. There are a few people who still want to learn about our history and heritage.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 10-09-2015 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
There were no private schools where I was born but we had a class where everyone (boy and girl) was taught these basic skills. We also had a class called "Territorial defence" where everyone was taught things about defending their country, how to shot with an M-48 and so on.
That does sound like fun. I have that same rifle. Mine came with a full complement of accoutrements. It's an excellent rifle. They're still available at gun shows. Do you have one?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
What people predicting the end of civilization keep forgetting is, while me might lose our lifestyle, we won't exactly be cavemen again. We still have our memories. We don't have to rediscover electricity or germs or engineering again. We know about calculus and nuclear physics. We know about solar panels. We know about batteries and magnetism. We know how to make planes fly.

Before just asking if we are ready for the apocalypse, I think we first have to understand what apocalypse we're talking about. The one where we run out of water? Or the one where a nuclear bomb has leveled everything? It matters a great deal what we have left when we have to start over. But no matter what happens, we still have the knowledge of what we had and how to run it, even fix it, so even though we may have to be without for a while, we will eventually get back most of what we lost. Maybe not as much, maybe not in the same way, but our knowledge won't disappear just like that. At least, not in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness