Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,236 times

Advertisements

How many people know how to make their own tin foil? You know. For hats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 01:38 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,593,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What people predicting the end of civilization keep forgetting is, while me might lose our lifestyle, we won't exactly be cavemen again. We still have our memories. We don't have to rediscover electricity or germs or engineering again. We know about calculus and nuclear physics. We know about solar panels. We know about batteries and magnetism. We know how to make planes fly.

Before just asking if we are ready for the apocalypse, I think we first have to understand what apocalypse we're talking about. The one where we run out of water? Or the one where a nuclear bomb has leveled everything? It matters a great deal what we have left when we have to start over. But no matter what happens, we still have the knowledge of what we had and how to run it, even fix it, so even though we may have to be without for a while, we will eventually get back most of what we lost. Maybe not as much, maybe not in the same way, but our knowledge won't disappear just like that. At least, not in the US.
we might have the knowledge but what we wont have is the infrastructure, the manufacturing.
the majority of the time will be spent putting food on the table, anything else will be a bonus.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:21 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The reason may be "brakes" - as in braking the "velocity of money" that hides the "big whoops!"
. . .
FRB: How much U.S. currency is in circulation?
Q: How much U.S. currency is in circulation?
A: There was approximately $1.34 trillion in circulation as of January 7, 2015, of which $1.29 trillion was in Federal Reserve notes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...federal_budget
● 2014 Federal Deficit : $1,086 billion
● 2014 Debt Service : $229 billion
● (approx. 18% of all circulating money is paid to the creditor, yearly)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_U...federal_budget
● 2014 Federal Budget $3.5 trillion
● versus
● $1.29 trillion in circulation.
. . .
The amount of "legal tender" in circulation is $1.29 trillion.
The Federal government spends $3.5 trillion.
It borrowed $1.09 trillion and paid $0.23 trillion in interest.

SOMETHING.DOES.NOT.COMPUTE.
Ummm ... if there's no civilization, there's no money or government deficit or even a government!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Ummm ... if there's no civilization, there's no money or government deficit or even a government!
absolutely!!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:38 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That does sound like fun. I have that same rifle. Mine came with a full complement of accoutrements. It's an excellent rifle. They're still available at gun shows. Do you have one?
No but it may be on the list - you know, for Christmas

They are excellent rifles and were also used (infrequently) as a base for a sniper.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:27 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
That's a vision of the appocolypse I like!
Mmmm...the wife wouldn't go for that...not at all...damn....

Old 10-10-2015, 06:02 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
we might have the knowledge but what we wont have is the infrastructure, the manufacturing.
the majority of the time will be spent putting food on the table, anything else will be a bonus.
Maybe not, but we could probably get the lights back on again.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Maybe not, but we could probably get the lights back on again.
I doubt it, and electricity would be the least of my problems.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:45 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I doubt it, and electricity would be the least of my problems.
I beg to differ, but that's why I said it depends on the catastrophe. I can see in some instances where it might not be doable.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:51 AM

I'm not going to get into yet ANOTHER debate on electricity, suffice it to say, once the power goes off that will be the end of so called civilisation.
without power most wont eat, wont drink, wont drive, wont communicate, wont receive medical care, traffic lights wont work, automatic doors wont work, elevators wont work etc.etc.
it is possible to live without electricity but most people wont want to or wont be able to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness