Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 06:29 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times

Advertisements

Stay in the pot frogy while I turn up the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 07:10 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning did you??
its a pity most people don't get it and never will, they think it'll just be a few days, maybe a week or two, then the govt will have sorted it and its back to "business as usual", they don't realise the govt IS the problem!!
anyway I expect i'm wasting my breath as usual, prepping isn't about unemployment, illness, rising prices or a minor black out, that's just "normal life", been there, done that, got the T shirt, i'm talking about the bigger picture, the longer term, but then nobody else seems to be able to see "outside the box" anymore.
its a shame. but that's modern life these days, nobody can see further than the end of their nose, next week/next month? hell most cant see past next weekend.

Last edited by bigpaul; 10-23-2015 at 08:03 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default Burning wood in a valley, with winter temperature inversions, can get nasty, but it's better than freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Unfortunately, real wood stoves have been mostly banned in the name of "clean air" even though burning natural wood is far from the biggest (or most dangerous) polluter in the city. They were just "low hanging fruit" for zealous politicians to ban and then claim they were "doing something good" about air pollution.
That also varies by region -- real wood stoves are very popular in Northern New England, and New Hampshire in particular hasn't jumped on the EPA bandwagon. A good number of my neighbors manage their own woodlots, are self-sufficient for heat. I have plenty of trees, but their mostly pine and so would require special provisions to burn for heat.

I don't like the new anti-pollution standard from the EPA, but it applies only to newly manufactured wood heaters, doesn't force anyone to get rid of their older models. Properly maintained, wood stoves last pretty much forever.

Every time there's a power outage, the whole county smells like woodsmoke, so you know a lot more people have stoves and fireplaces than just the folk who routinely use them for heat.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Properly maintained, wood stoves last pretty much forever.
That's what we're counting on!

We have 4 "oldies but goodies" here on our Maine property, and all 4 are regularly used!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:30 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
many people believe we are already in a slow collapse.
I call it a decline resulting from the deterioration of character, quality and value.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I call it a decline resulting from the deterioration of character, quality and value.
cant disagree with that!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Can't rep you, but that's short and sweet and spot on!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:41 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks for the video Larry. Impressive and quiet.

I see what you're saying, but I was also referring to a "worst case scenario". As I understand pellet stoves burn cleaner and produce a more even heat. If things got really bad and supplies cut short, the whole world isn't going to become toast. However, it would be a problem for those with pellet stoves because the supply of pellets would dwindle away.

I remember the days when wigwam burners were used to dispose of chips, bark, and scraps, pretty much anything that couldn't be used as lumber. Then came the push to market the material rather than just burn it. Oregon and Washington outlawed the use of the burners. Most of the burners are gone now, although there are a few of the rusting relics that can still be seen in Oregon.
The Hunt for Oregon Wigwam Burners

The advantage of stoves that burn logs is that you can always go out and harvest a few cords the old-fashioned way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you can't (or shouldn't) really burn logs in a pellet stove. If that's the case, then pellet stoves could end up serving as a shelf for nik naks.
How Does a Pellet Stove Differ from a Traditional Wood Burning Stove
Can you burn wood chips in a pellet stove? - Homesteading Today
Dual fuel pellet stoves are set up to burn dried corn. The popularity of that varies with the price of corn. Back when corn was $0.25/bushel it was a very popular fuel in the midwest. Prices surged 5 years ago and people switched back to wood pellets. Now corn prices are dropping again. If I were going to install a pellet stove, I would definitely pick one with dual fuel capability. Most corn in the USA is grown for fuel anyway, though it gets fermented to ethanol and the brewer's grains left over get fed to cattle. Fermentation just uses the carbs, the oils, proteins and fiber come through unchanged. The residue would probably make good presto logs, except it has to be dried, which costs a lot of energy.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
NASA just announced a near miss is about to occur 3x the distance of the moon ,only 20 days from now, not soon enough to do any thing about .
Any one else read on that one ?
Do you really think you could do anything about an asteroid impact? You are unlikely to be one of the .001% of the human race that might survive.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
That also varies by region -- real wood stoves are very popular in Northern New England, and New Hampshire in particular hasn't jumped on the EPA bandwagon. A good number of my neighbors manage their own woodlots, are self-sufficient for heat. I have plenty of trees, but their mostly pine and so would require special provisions to burn for heat.

I don't like the new anti-pollution standard from the EPA, but it applies only to newly manufactured wood heaters, doesn't force anyone to get rid of their older models. Properly maintained, wood stoves last pretty much forever.

Every time there's a power outage, the whole county smells like woodsmoke, so you know a lot more people have stoves and fireplaces than just the folk who routinely use them for heat.
Oregon requires non-EPA certified wood stoves to be removed and destroyed if a home is sold. I don't know what the compliance rate is for that. I'm still using an old Fisher Mamma Bear that was manufactured 40 years ago. When I sell the place I'll probably hide the stove in the barn and let the new owners decide what to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness