Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:02 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This forum really needs a moderator again!
What level of moderation are you looking for? 10,000 rounds of ammunition? 100,000? 4 years of stored food or 8? Where does a moderator cut it off at? What experiences would make for a good moderator? Yes, someone needs to regulate personal attacks, but what is an attack and what is a disagreement in theories?

I'm all for being prepared. I have a variety of foodstuffs, a 40lb propane tank, Remington 870, and sheer bodyfat would allow me to be cut off from leaving my house for 2 weeks (Wifey would drive me crazy in 3 days, though). After that? Who knows? Either some sort of agency is going to provide some sort of relief or whatever neighbors I have left will band together to take care of each other. Yes. there will be some sort of power struggle (maybe not overt) to determine who is in charge, but that's human nature. Having a compound in the middle of nowhere makes you a target. Yes, they have to find you first, but once they do, they have time on their side.

Think of prepping along the lines of Climate Change. Yes, we all need to be more conscious of the waste products our lifestyle produces, but do I think the South Pole is going to be a forest in 20 years? No.

I also look at it as with high capacity clips - if you can't work your way out of a situation after 15 shots, maybe it's not your day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Thank you, also!

I dunno...why do so many posters here easily understand business concepts, while a young man who boasts of his educational level, is completely in a fog over the whole thing? I run my entire life, pretty much, as a business, and my properties are business entities as well. In the event of a loss or damage, that can simply be written off as a business loss, with its attendant tax benefits.

Why is this so difficult to fathom? Unless, of course, I'm simply the victim of a troll...
He attended Yugoslavian schools which were indoctrination centers for the principles of Marxism. That's why. Some from that era before the breakup have deprogrammed themselves, while some remain helpless in the fog.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
He attended Yugoslavian schools which were indoctrination centers for the principles of Marxism. That's why. Some from that era before the breakup have deprogrammed themselves, while some remain helpless in the fog.
Oh no, a personal attack! How refreshing and unexpected!

Why not address the question(s) I posed? All you did was state matter of factly that "self insurance" is better than paying an insurance company. You can also try and explain how you arrived at the calculation that living in the boonies away from civilization to protect yourself from events with probabilities that are very low is cheaper/better/more justified over foregoing something as basic as home insurance

As to the "troll victim" you replied to above, he claims he had a trucking business. I find it highly unlikely the business carried no insurance. What did he do if he got taken to court for any reason? What if one of his trucks killed or seriously injured someone? What if one of the trucks destroyed someone's property? How about if the load the truck was carrying got ruined, destroyed etc.?

Old 12-05-2015, 11:02 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
"De-nial" isn't just a river in Egypt. I have the kind of "insurance" I need to survive likely disasters that might happen in the area where I live. Stockpiling supplies in preparation for the sudden and imminent end of all world-wide civilization is paranoia, not "insurance".

then you are one of those that are in denial. you are the type that believe that the feds will be there to save you once a disaster happens. well, the truth is in the pudding, just ask the people in LA. after katrina hit.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Hmmm. Ok.

This was said first here: //www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=42126742

Then you said here: //www.city-data.com/forum/42128853-post149.html

All I wanted to know is if you can explain how you arrived at the fact that the probability of things being so bad as to require altering your lifestyle to live in the middle-of-nothing with stockpiles of everything for decades (or being invaded by city zombies) are higher than your home burning down to the ground. Hardly trolling, I would say...

I do not carry fire insurance for my home, a bit hard to burn concrete.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do not carry fire insurance for my home, a bit hard to burn concrete.
You would be advised to learn something about concrete. I remember the plastic-coated copper rebar as well. Copper pipes are used in concrete because they don't corrode. There is no copper rebar.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then you are one of those that are in denial. you are the type that believe that the feds will be there to save you once a disaster happens. well, the truth is in the pudding, just ask the people in LA. after katrina hit.
Feds did show up, just took them a while. Other agencies showed up as well. Point being, LA is not a post-apocalyptic wasteland ruled by roving gangs of bandits driving souped-up vehicles (at least not more so than there was before Katrina). If you were dropped into the French Quarter before Katrina with full knowledge of what was going to transpire. Other than getting the heck out of Dodge, how much stockpile would you need? 5 rounds per person in the greater N.O. area? Two weeks supply of food? 2 months? Two years?

Maybe those rations from the Y2K apocalypse are still good....

Old 12-06-2015, 05:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Other than getting the heck out of Dodge....
We here advocate that you not only GET out of Dodge, but STAY out of Dodge, and if at all possible, LIVE away from Dodge - and all that it represents - for the safety of yourself and esp for your family.

That is why so many of us here live out in the boonies, in case you were wondering....

Old 12-06-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
We here advocate that you not only GET out of Dodge, but STAY out of Dodge, and if at all possible, LIVE away from Dodge - and all that it represents - for the safety of yourself and esp for your family.

That is why so many of us here live out in the boonies, in case you were wondering....
I have no problem living in the boonies. I wish I was, but such is life. I want to be in a wooded area and have the road to my house made to look like it goes about 50 feet then is blocked by debris or ends. Solar, wind water power, small garden, chickens, just enough electronics to know what's going on in the world....

As I alluded to in a earlier post, how much different is the prepper world from the climate change world? Both have a solid foundation of being aware of your actions and the actions of others to help promote health and well being, but both have extremes on the other end that could be considered loonie. Where is the balance in both?

You did illustrate a issue about this forum. I was really asking how much prep would someone need to survive a month in New Orleans after Katrina if you could not leave. You cherry picked the part you could make a comment about and left it that, so I will propose another scenario:

Your remote location has been found out by the local bandit army. How many rounds of ammunition do you need to keep them at bay for a year? How many people occupy your compound in order to man a 24-hour watch to stave off midnight raids? How much food stuffs do you need to last that long? Is your water supply protected? What protection do you have from being driven out by fire?

Siege situations never seem to work out well for the defenders in the long run.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Your remote location has been found out by the local bandit army.
I'll stop you right there. It would take a trip of at least 7 hours from any real metro area to reach our place. That is more than the range on a full tank of gas for most vehicles. Who's going to waste a full tank of gas on a foray into the woods that comes with no guarantee - except an empty tank once they get there?

There are no "local bandit armies" around here. In northern Maine you pretty much have to be retired (which we are) to live out here. There are few to no jobs that would support anyone in any kind of "normal" style up here. If you're talking young adult, male, strong, and well-armed, those types move out of state for better job prospects. Maine is the best-kept secret for a retirement state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness