Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:31 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times

Advertisements

The world is going to end, just very slowly, and not soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm not saying don't prep... obviously local disasters, civil unrest, outright war and so forth happen, and can happen anywhere. Being smart means having the means to ride out the storm.
. . .
It seems like the standard "prepper mentality" focuses almost entirely on a global scale meltdown and an instant reset to pre-industrial times. I'm arguing that isn't gonna happen... so why plan and ruminate over something that just isn't gonna happen, rather than focusing on what is actually likely to happen?
Prepare for the worst of the likely scenarios, and you can ride out anything smaller without additional effort.

The trick is in coming up with a realistic estimation of what the "worst case" really is. For example, my house is built to withstand 130 MPH winds without damage. Is it possible that we could get higher winds or be hit by a tornado or hurricane? Yes, but it is highly unlikely, so I don't have the kind of extreme reinforcement you'd find in south Florida.

I follow the same theory for disaster -- I'm not prepared for rapture, because I don't think it's a likely scenario. I am prepared for being snowed in for two weeks straight with no utilities, as that could actually happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
A comet will hopefully take us all out soon.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:18 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
...and thus civilization is rebuilt one chicken and one gallon of shine at a time.
I'm not so sure I'd want to 'rebuild' 'civilization', such as it is...I think I could be comfortable with, oh, say a 95% reduction in population. As long as I'm warm, got shelter, enough food to eat and booze to drink and a few people around, I'd be good with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I follow the same theory for disaster -- I'm not prepared for rapture, because I don't think it's a likely scenario. I am prepared for being snowed in for two weeks straight with no utilities, as that could actually happen.
LOL, that's actually a fairly likely scenario here...been there, got the t-shirt. One of these days, I might buy a snowmobibble. One Winter, I had no running water for 3 months- well quit working when the temp hit -25 and everything froze up, had a choice of melting snow or going down to the creek and chopping a hole in the ice to get water. Wood stove was barely keeping the temp in the house at 0. You can crap in a bucket of kitty litter but you still get kind of stinky, even when it's cold, if you can't wash up.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Welcome back.

The can has proven to be quite durable, and the road quite lengthy.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:52 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Well, this is a big load off my mind.

Now what am I going to do with this bunker and all these guns and ammo?

Old 10-17-2015, 12:40 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Never say Never.
Prepare for the worst and Hope for the best.
I have come across too many people in the last few years who think like the OP, because a LCE(Lifetime Changing Event) has never happened in their lifetime "it will never happen", WRONG, it just hasn't happened YET.
or rather, it is already happening, but because it is so subtle you just haven't noticed it yet, many say we are in the SLOW collapse event, most will not notice it until it becomes a FAST event, by which time it is too late, far too late to START preparing.

Last edited by bigpaul; 10-17-2015 at 12:58 AM..

Old 10-17-2015, 04:59 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
or rather, it is already happening, but because it is so subtle you just haven't noticed it yet, many say we are in the SLOW collapse event, most will not notice it until it becomes a FAST event, by which time it is too late, far too late to START preparing.
It feels like this but I'm having trouble articulating why.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Humanity has been waiting for the world to end since well..... since civilization started. I think a lot of people want the world to end because they can't deal with the way society is today and it would be their big do over. No bills do as you please bs.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
It feels like this but I'm having trouble articulating why.
have a look around and see what is going on in the world today, then tell me everything is hunky dory, cos it plainly isn't. something is going to pop sooner or later and I want to be ready when it happens, there will be far enough "headless chickens" when it does and there is no need to add to their numbers.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Humanity has been waiting for the world to end since well..... since civilization started. I think a lot of people want the world to end because they can't deal with the way society is today and it would be their big do over. No bills do as you please bs.
far too simple an explanation, and an excuse to do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness